Author Topic: F4U-1A  (Read 868 times)

Offline Tails80

• Zinc Member
F4U-1A
« on: March 20, 2008, 02:01:22 PM »
Hello, I am looking for someone willing to i guess you could say mentor tutor whatever on the F4U-1A    I played with it flying off a carrier and actually like it. someone gave me the advice use flaps at speeds under 250...so i did and i actually got a couple of kills.So if anyone has any free time please re-post.
_____________________________ ______________
The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Proud Member of the VMF-214 Black Sheep

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: F4U-1A
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 02:45:52 PM »
Really, you can fly her like any of the other F4Us. The main consideration is fuel, as the 1A carries more gas internally than the 1D/C and 4. Her climb rate and acceleration are roughly equivalent to the 1D/C, but she turns much better, with a marginal edge over the -1. She's also faster than the other three unperked Hogs either marginally (-1) or with a slight noticeable advantage (1D/C).

I fly with 75% internal fuel. Burn the left wing off, then switch over to the main tank. If you take 100%, burn left wing off, then right wing down to about 1/4. This greatly assists with balancing the aircraft.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 05:41:15 PM »
Internally in the single main tank, there's 197 Imperial Gallons of fuel when full. Each non-self sealing wing tank has got 52 Imp. Gal.

That's more than 3 times the fuel load out of the Spitfires you find around the MA, so you're more affected by the great amount of fuel carried. At very low speeds, the Hog rolls quite badly to the right especially with flaps down so follow Sax's fuel drainage advice. And if in doubt, use rudder. The Corsair, unlike most other fighters, has a rudder of such power, you can flip yourself over at low speeds when torque fights you. Other planes, especially those with much torque like a 109K or Spitfire XIV, wobble insanely at low speeds rendering the rudder almost useless, much unlike the F4U which can flip on a dime. Just watch out with using too much rudder and elevator at the same time particularly with the nose high because you might just spin out.

A note is also that the F4U-1A is more agile than the  F4U-1D mainly because of its more aerodynamic underwings. It lacks the bomb pylons so if you take a DT or bomb, you'll still have the pylon there which will affect every section of performance. According to Widewing's tests, you will lose some 6 mph in level flight.
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline Nimrod45

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 09:51:44 AM »
As for the fuel load out that is great advise, never thought about leaving a little in the right tank to offset the torque.  I have been flying the 1A almost solely, at first I feared spits and KI-84's, but after I got the hang of it I don't see any other planes as a problem anymore.  Don't hesitate to use your flaps they are what help make the plane unbeatable in the right hands.  But don't leave them out for extended periods of time or else you will just waste E.  Never pop your gear in a fight to slow your self down, I've heard some people say that is a usefull technique but if you have gotten that desperate you are about to die.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 10:55:59 AM »
Personally, I think the Ki-84 is the single most dangerous opponent for the early-model F4Us. The 1D and C have trouble running on her, she'll lose all four in sustained climb and things are very closely matched in a flaps-out engagement.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline j500ss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 01:49:28 PM »
I have only been flying for a month or so here, but exclusively in the hog. Started in the 1A, really like it too. But it seems to me that I can throw the D around a little better, especially against spits and ponies, but they seem to out turn me. In the 1A, I turn better, but give up a little acceleration. I really like the hog, it has its quirks, and alot of them it seems  :rolleyes: . But figure them out ( and I still am obviously ) and it is fun to fly.  :rock

side note to Saxman  :aok : Awhile back you offered a shameless plug to me about your squad  ;) I never replied.... My bad, would be an honor, but I am unable to dedicate the time  :( . It was greatly appreicated  :aok

:salute

Offline Nimrod45

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 03:27:15 PM »
No Pony should ever be able to turn with a Corsair, no matter the model of either plane.

Offline Alky

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 11:51:53 AM »
I'm wondering why all my F4u's show only the "main" fuel tank. I don't have wing tanks in any of the models :uhoh
And yes, I know about SHIFT F.

George "AlkyŽ" Fisher

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 12:01:08 PM »
I'm wondering why all my F4u's show only the "main" fuel tank. I don't have wing tanks in any of the models :uhoh
And yes, I know about SHIFT F.

Try a -1A with full fuel, then cycle the tanks.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Alky

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 12:11:44 PM »
Try a -1A with full fuel, then cycle the tanks.
Ok, I see where my confusion arose, the -D and -C have only a Main tank and the -1a and -1 need a full fuel load to show wing tanks.  I've never set them for more than 75% fuel.. Thanx Fuse  :salute :)
George "AlkyŽ" Fisher

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 12:28:31 PM »
You should see the wing tanks at 75% fuel. 75% loads full in the main, and 25% in each wing.

Offline AcId

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 03:19:45 PM »
that brings back some memories......75% fuel loadout in an F4U-1A.....empty the left wing and burn the main.....
I'm gonna have to come back to AH one of these days.
She was my ride of choice for nearly my entire career

Offline snowey

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 07:20:12 PM »
the main tank is located right infront of the windscreen so it gets a little hot with fireand the 75% fuel is the best one you dont ever need a droptank or bomb if you want to bomb use the d
snowey
=55th=VelociRaptors
Flying since tour 79
VansCrew is a traitor and deserves to be shot
yes i know i cant spell so don't say anything about it

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 10:54:09 AM »
Ive been gone from AH2 for like 1,5 years but have lately found the urge to fly.

So Im extremly rusty and cant hit anything atm so take my words with a huge grain of salt.

Anyways a squady of mine showed me into the -1A and I love it.

Not sure if its what you ment but when you said use flaps below 250 it almost sounds as if you use them constantly under 250 which I would advice against. Not really from experience of the -1A but from a general point of view. Imho flaps should be used when you need to induce lift alternativly bleed speed. Inducing lift can increase your instant turn rate but not necessarily your sustained turnrate since you tend to bleed too much speed.

I wouldnt really say to fly the -1A any different from any other aircraft. Use vertical manouvers over flat manouvers. Manage your E. Roll rate is good so use roll manouvers. Like all F4Us the gears act as a dive break so if you need to quickly swing your nose around at top of vertical manouver the gear is a good way to bleed the speed and make the nose dip over (carefull though bleeds alot of E).

Tex