Author Topic: E management  (Read 939 times)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Re: E management
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 11:02:56 AM »

The problem here is that its a simple concept and a complex reality. Angles fighting at its heart is simply "out turning" your opponent. At the start with an even merge the 2 planes are nose to nose or have an "angle off" of 180 degrees...

In order to gain a direct 6 position one plane has to gain those 180 degree's of angle...hence the term "angles fight". So many variables come into play that there is no simple answer if your engaged with a superior pilot. You need to build your game in stages. Even for me its daunting. I spent 4-5 hours getting smacked around by 4 or 5 really good sticks (I lost literally every fight and dont think I got a single shot window) to gain (or regain) a couple of very specific fundementals. That allowed me to reprogram a couple of aspects of my game and all of a sudden I'm 200% better or more. In a second series of fights with the same guys I had multiple shot windows and survived multiple attacks. I lost almost all of them but they were very good fights that came down to my ability to fly the plane vs fly the fight. As my raw ability to park a given plane on the edge of its flight envelope efficiently improves then my range of possibilities will widen again.

So you need to be able to "think" the fight....then catch up and execute your plan...then push your actual ability to fly to that new edge etc...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline cbizkit

• Nickel Member
Re: E management
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 11:33:34 AM »
This is a pretty interesting conversation so I'll throw in some of my thoughts with regards to mixing E fighting and angles fighting...

My E game, particularly in a 1v1 is used mostly to keep my opponent at arms reach (and usually when I recognize I'm about to be beat in the angles game by a negative-E opponent). Similar to a boxers jab, this provides you with separation to avoid being hit. When I say separation it doesn't mean out of guns range, it simply means denying your opponent a guns solution through a higher energy state or position gained by that higher energy state. There are many times when I'm in an E retention mode, while my opponent is hanging only 100 yds behind and below but lacks the speed & control authority to nose up in order to fire.

From here you use the time & separation to gain position before attacking again. Basically you're looking for a good opportunity to switch back to an angles fight, such as your opponent wing-dipping or slowly sliding out of position in a spiral climb. I rarely think in terms of bleeding out all my opponents E, I simply want to hold them at bay long enough to gain a better angle to pursue a shot with. If you're good at retaining E after switching to angles, you can miss a shot and rinse/repeat, especially if your move costs your target more E then it cost you in making the move.

In a many vs 1 fight, assuming you want to avoid extending, E & position is more important because you generally can't afford to scrub much E when switching to angles for a shot. You need to maintain your E advantage by either adding E faster then your opponents, or bleeding their E faster then you bleed yours. You have to weigh risk and reward, attempting to execute high G maneuvers only when it gives you a high probability of a kill. Although, killing quickly is arguably a better choice then killing slowly but maintaining E. It's very difficult to keep 3 or more cons from building their E unless they choose to bunch up tightly together and have to all break together when you attack. Try and stay close and above. The further away you are the easier it is for the cons to track you. Directly above with an E advantage you have the opportunity to drop in from any position on the clock and they can only force an equal angle merge by going vertical which can often lead them into hanging themselves in a difficult to control position. Be aggressive and smart, use your E to gain position and keep forcing them to react.

Lastly try and avoid being reversed, particularly by cannon birds. If your E differential is not sufficient to create separation quickly a good pilot will often offer a difficult/low aspect shot while rolling into your path in order to get a shot as you go by. You need be mindful of the direction you choose to extend in the event you miss your shot. Separate away from their lift line if possible to force a tracking rather then straight shot and cause them to scrub additional E in order to take it.
biz
71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF