Author Topic: BNZ vs Turn Fighting Bickering  (Read 699 times)

Offline 052088

• Zinc Member
BNZ vs Turn Fighting Bickering
« on: March 26, 2008, 01:41:32 PM »
I seldom post on this forum, however, earlier this morning I read channel 200 banter between two accomplished and respected pilots.  The argument morphed into (adjectives omitted):  "The only kills you can get is from BNZ, you can't win 1v1"...and so on.

As most of you know all of the following tactics were practiced by all parties during WWII:

Overhead Approach - aka BNZ
BFM (Basic Fighter Manuevers) - aka Turn Fighting / Stall Fighting
Straffing - aka Vulching

WRT the Overhead Approach, the following is taken directly from the Navy's fighter pilot manual, ORDERS FOR GUNNERY EXERCISES:

Tactic:  Overhead Approach from the Same Course

1.  Start a smooth, nose high, 180 degree turn toward the target...

2.  Upon reaching a point ahead of and in the same vertical plane as the target's flight path...

3.  Roll over to inverted flight...

4.  Drop the nose on down, then sweep it up slightly ahead of the target...

5.  You should reach effective range while still in a dive of not less the 60 degrees, which should flatten out
     so that you pass the target at about a 45 degree angle.

6.  Pull out below, recovering right or left of the target's flight path, and climb to a second attack position.

These tactics were incorporated into Navy flight doctorine during the early stages of WWII.  It was designed to use the F-4F's speed advantage in a fight versus entering a turn fight with the more manueverable Zero.

The bottom line, a kill by any of the above 3 methods is a valid kill...unfortunately, big ego's don't die as easily!!!

Regards,
DAGO
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 02:10:45 PM by 052088 »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: BNZ vs Turn Fighting Bickering
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 03:24:11 PM »
I don't get it. Is this a recruiting thread for a BnZ squad, a turnfighting squad or a faceshooting squad?  :D

Offline 052088

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 03:41:52 PM »
I don't get it. Is this a recruiting thread for a BnZ squad, a turnfighting squad or a faceshooting squad?  :D

Arlo,

No, not a recruiting thread for anything.  Oh by the way, thanks...head-on shots (faceshooting) was also a tactic used by WWII pilots, particularly during the merge!

Regards,
DAGO

« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 03:45:32 PM by 052088 »

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 08:59:08 PM »
Arlo,

No, not a recruiting thread for anything.  Oh by the way, thanks...head-on shots (faceshooting) was also a tactic used by WWII pilots, particularly during the merge!

Regards,
DAGO

No, it wasn't. The Russians considered it a last-ditch suicide tactic, as they did ramming.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 09:04:03 PM »
Arlo,

Regards,
DAGO

Soooo....

Why are you posting in a squadron/recruiting forum?
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline 052088

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 10:21:46 PM »

No, it wasn't. The Russians considered it a last-ditch suicide tactic, as they did ramming.

Motherland,

If you get a chance, refer to the book THE FIRST TEAM, published by the Naval Institute Press.  Pardon my paraphrasing from excerpts from the US Navy WWII - ORDERS for GUNNERY EXERCISES...

"In contrast, ...head-on attacks did not entail much deflection shooting.... With the head-on attack, the fighter approached from dead ahead...There were high level, level, and low approaches, and of the three, the level was to be avoided because the the opponent could likewise blast away with his forward firing guns.  No need to be fair in these matters!"

My appoligies to all...apparently I posted this in the wrong forum...as I stated previously, I am new to the forums, notice I have only a total of 7 posts...sorry to have trespassed into your domain!!!  Nuff said..."Over & Out"!!!

Regards,
DAGO 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 10:27:10 PM by 052088 »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 11:08:16 PM »
Arlo,

Regards,
DAGO

No need for the defensiveness. Face off! :D  :salute

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 11:08:48 PM »
Soooo....

Why are you posting in a squadron/recruiting forum?

You are. :)

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 12:12:22 AM »
HO shots did happen.Probebly not alot as both parties were at risk.Most were more than likely minor deflections.As far as the BnZ guys.Thats their game.Anyone that gets riled up over that line of attack just seriously needs to grow up.I mean get a real grip on things.BnZ was a MUCH used tactic in ww2 and if your getting pissed off about it your more than likely a quake dweeb at best getting your bellybutton handed to you on a regular basis by a MUCH smarter pilot..A real serious spaz at the least.Theres so many lines of attack used in WW2 that only the true dweebs dont recognise what they are seeing.The..YOUR A BNZ DWEEB types really make me laugh.Their clueless as to the real concept of ACM.
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.