Author Topic: The box flak model is wrong.  (Read 2086 times)

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
Re: The box flak model is wrong.
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2008, 12:27:34 PM »
Anyone who denies that puffy ack needs a fix belongs in 1984. :uhoh

In 1984 I was (by definition) 12 miles off the coat of Petropovlovsk watching Soviet submarines sortie.

Been there, done that, got pictures, worn the T-shirt, like the ack.
//c coad  c coad run  run coad run
main (){char _[]={"S~||(iuv{nkx%K9Y$hzhhd\x0c"},__
,___=1;for(__=___>>___;__<((___<<___<<___<<___<<___
)+(___<<___<<___<<___)-___);__+=___)putchar((_[__
])+(__/((___<<___)+___))-((___&

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2008, 12:34:15 PM »
The other problem is that CV ack only targets ONE aircraft. You could have 20 badguys circling the boat, and all those guns will only be focused on one of them. The same is a problem with ALL auto guns.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2008, 01:13:09 PM »
The other problem is that CV ack only targets ONE aircraft. You could have 20 badguys circling the boat, and all those guns will only be focused on one of them. The same is a problem with ALL auto guns.
not with field ack, the field ack shoots at the person thats closer nomatter how many people.
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline Halo46

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2008, 01:19:56 PM »
The ack is fine, if anything it should be more lethal. It is much more likely to be a factor than having 4 perked ac attack a low eny base as happened yesterday. If it is so bad, try to slow down and fly straight and you should not be hit at all, according to your observations that is. My opinion only.
Used to fly as Halo46, GRHalo, Hobo and Punk at the end.

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2008, 06:38:20 PM »
Hmm stay out of the flak!-------> solved.  :rock

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2008, 09:43:13 PM »
Puck you seem to have misunderstood - I mean the explosive puffy ack, the short range small caliber ack is no problem.

"Players that indefinitely re-up" - Beside the point. 

"(Thou shalt not be permitted to hide in thine own ack)" - Not what I'm talking about.

"but I'd advise staying away from areas with enemy ack, cuz it's mean."  - That's the point, you can't stay out of it except by diving below 3kft, flying away from it (and hope you somehow don't get hit, no matter how much you dodge - "There is some reality for you"; bombers did it IRL), or with some luck have some other poor bastage pick up the flak's attention. 
Once you're in its reach, it'll hit you across mountains, regardless of whether you are moving faster than its aim could possibly keep up with if it obeyed the laws of physics.  Not modeling actual ballistics for cpu budget is fine, but it should at least have a compromise like I suggested.

Once again if it was anything like I suggested, planes flying a predictable trajectory would get hit at least as well as they do now, while planes that don't would stay out of the effective volume of the "box".
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 09:46:04 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Flayed1

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2008, 11:19:07 PM »
  Puffy ack is fine or at least better now than it used to be...   I had a Jug over a base the other day and got hit and set on fire. Oh great I thought, more puffy killing my fighters when it won't hit my bombers...

Then I took a flight of 17's over another factory and got pinged  :O  AUX fuel leak... Not a big deal but WOW I got hit. Then I was hit again! :O :O and on top of the leak I was on fire so I had to bail... 

I can't tell you how long it's been sence I've had my bombers hit let alone taken out by puffy.   All in all I do see some improvement.
From the ashes of the old we rise to fly again. Behold The Phoenix Wing!

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2008, 11:26:42 PM »
Moot i puffy nailed me last night going 450 in a dora 5k away from the cv, and course changes were made, utterly uber ridiculous lazer ack.
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2008, 11:26:32 AM »
Ive been posting about the ack damage model for years.  HTC finally put it into a mode that mimicks real life "better".  I like it now.  Not great, but alot better than it used to be.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2008, 11:00:53 PM »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2008, 11:11:01 PM »
is story time over you been putting me to sleep since the first post :rock
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2008, 11:13:57 PM »
Do I give a crap what you think?  Let's see.. a player that exploits flaws in the game and will talk smack but never back it up.. Hmm...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 11:15:53 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2008, 11:14:50 PM »
so testy makes me hmmmmmmmmmmmmm never mind
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2008, 11:24:10 PM »
How about you stay out of the thread unless you've got some contribution to make to the flak model...Capice?
If you want to start a weenie swingin contest we can do that in the DA, and you can arrange that by PM.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2008, 11:34:32 PM »
I was flying a chog on the deck and I pulled up to fight a seaf, as soon as I hit 3.5K puffy ack killed me...
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com