Author Topic: If you thought that you knew what kind of company Walmart is  (Read 4719 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: If you thought that you knew what kind of company Walmart is
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2008, 11:56:26 PM »
Didn't even read the story so this is not in relation to it. Sam Walton would be disgraced to see what the suits n ties have done to his once respectable store.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2008, 12:08:00 AM »
Unions love to hand out the workers hard-earned money on political candidates....who do not look out for the workers best interests.

Like Gun, we wind up at Target a lot.  The local Super WalMart is closer, but we like avoiding the slummy feel of WallyWorld at times.

Offline LTARGlok

• Probation
  • Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2008, 12:18:22 AM »
kneejerk, uninformed reaction. Had the OP actually known this was common, acceptyed practice, this would have been a nice troll.

The fact that something is legal to do, does not necessarily make it the MORAL or RIGHT thing to do.

I know the full facts of this case, so don't be so smug and condescending towards me.   I also know that the family had a lot of expenses that Walmart's insurance didn't cover, so that is why they already have spent some of the money.   Walmart is demanding all of the settlement amount.   Did you not see how profoundly this woman is disabled from her brain injuries?   The family will then have NOTHING to see to her care needs.   In fact, paying back the full amount will basically now bankrupt them and leave them in poverty.   Do you think that is the right outcome to happen to someone that is severely injured in a car accident?

Who do you think will then pay to take care of this woman for the rest of her life???   Probably the US Taxpayer, unless you also support euthanazing the severely disabled.   Do you not think that there is a cost here to our society?

Tell me, are you a Christian?   Do you think that Jesus would approve of WalMart's lawsuit, and consider it to be according to God's law?   Or are you some kind of secular progressive, who believes that as long as something is allowed by law, it is thus OK to do?

This husband and wife already lost their older son to the Iraq war.   No one forced Walmart to pursue this lawsuit against this family.   They could CHOOSE to take a hit here.   But since the almighty DOLLAR has become more important to people than showing HUMANITY to one another, that is all they care about.

I'm sorrow, but Walmart's behavior here in this case is absolutely DESPICABLE.

I've generally avoided shopping there in recent years already.   Now, I will never, ever set foot in a WalMart again.

Offline LTARGlok

• Probation
  • Copper Member
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2008, 12:22:11 AM »
ltar.. you probly want to leave the country/state too then cause..

If you collect from the government disability and then get a settlement you have to pay back the money they gave you.

lazs

Well, who the heck do you think now is going to support this woman?   They had a number of other expenses that the WalMart insurance did not cover.   So they have already spent some of the settlement.   Giving it all back to WalMart now is thus going to bankrupt them and leave them in poverty.

I hope you don't mind your tax dollars going to pay for her long term care.

Offline LTARGlok

• Probation
  • Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2008, 12:25:52 AM »
what's wrong with that? Unions don't fleece the employers, they fleece us, the paying customer.

It is illegal to prevent your employees from organizing.   That is a legal right that they have under the law.

Interesting to see that you hate unions so much, that you don't want laws protecting the rights of employees to organize to be enforced.

Offline LTARGlok

• Probation
  • Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2008, 12:38:52 AM »
Didn't even read the story so this is not in relation to it. Sam Walton would be disgraced to see what the suits n ties have done to his once respectable store.

You need to read this story.   This family already lost their older son to the war in Iraq.   The wife is now severely brain damaged and disabled.   WarlMart's lawsuit will basically put the family into poverty, and leave the family with NOTHING to see to her care for the rest of her life.

Sam Walton is not the person that the executives at WalMart need to fear.  I am confident that Satan will prepare special torments and tortures in Hell for them, appropriate for their sins.

Offline Neubob

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My Movie Clip Website
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2008, 12:53:11 AM »
Poor Poor Jesus...

The Romans nail some poor guy to a cross and 20 centuries later he's still wandering around the world, being forced to decide whether or not to endorse law suits.

If you love him so much, give him a rest, eh?

Or nice Troll, not sure which yet.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 01:15:04 AM by Neubob »

Offline Halo46

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2008, 12:58:22 AM »
All righty then... anyway, Target is not much better in my opinion (as an alternate to Walmart that is)...French owned company who refuses to allow USMC toys for tots programs to operate there each Christmas and refuses to allow discounts/donations to any veteran/active military programs. Can't recall the incident that brought this to my attention, made the papers after 9/11 for awhile though.
Used to fly as Halo46, GRHalo, Hobo and Punk at the end.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2008, 01:04:53 AM »
Oh boy, someone pulled out the JC card.

A topic discussion is all fun and games til someone claims Jesus is on their side.

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2008, 01:10:19 AM »

The fact that something is legal to do, does not necessarily make it the MORAL or RIGHT thing to do.

I know the full facts of this case, so don't be so smug and condescending towards me.   

I'm afraid that, due to your illogical and childish position, smug and condescending is all that I'm left with.  Unless, that is, you prefer unabashed derision. I could muster that.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2008, 01:16:03 AM »
"Walmart way of handling overtime is to not pay it. They work employees over early in the week then make them take time off later in the week. And if they end up with over time they get wrote up.  If their area of responsibilty isn't right they get wrote up no matter that they were pulled to go to cash registers, work another department.

They like to work employees 38 hours or less so they are classed as part time."

thats just normal business practice, every business i have been involved with did it, i think it's taught to all MBAs.

I have always worked on commission so i was "requested" to work 50-60 hours and commission work does not pay overtime.  

Offline Sled

• Gold Member
      • Friday Squad Operations
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2008, 02:01:00 AM »
Unions wrecked the US auto industry.

So, you don't think the fact that US auto makers decided to make over half of their cars in Mexico, Canada, Korea, etc, had quite a bit to do with that?

You probably think NAFTA was a GREAT idea too.  :rolleyes:

Just like all things in life, (including corporate America) there are good and bad examples. A person feeling that "all unions are bad" is the same as someone saying that all "corporations are bad.". Siteing examples like Enron, Wal-mart, or DOW chemical.

A few bad apples does not necessarily spoil the whole bunch. That goes for both sides of the fence.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 02:50:48 AM by SLED »
~Sled~                 Aces High Special Events
USMC/71sqn
      XO               What Aces High is really all about.

Offline Sled

• Gold Member
      • Friday Squad Operations
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2008, 04:55:15 AM »
Why?

Apparently you think there are none. If that is true then trying to convince you of anything else is a waste of time.

Believing all Unions are "bad" is akin to believing all people that live in Compton are thieves. If that is the way you are, then your mind is too restricted to believe anything else.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 05:01:47 AM by SLED »
~Sled~                 Aces High Special Events
USMC/71sqn
      XO               What Aces High is really all about.

Offline AquaShrimp

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2008, 05:55:21 AM »
I disagree, of course.  Unons artificially inflate wages and the increased costs are passed on to the consumer.  The union workers are consumers themselves.  Unions are bad... period.  Unions wrecked the US auto industry.

Horrible designs wrecked the U.S. auto industry.