Author Topic: Joysticks for a new player  (Read 1288 times)

Offline thundabooge

• Copper Member
Re: Joysticks for a new player
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2008, 10:48:24 AM »
TYSM ev1 for all the advice, uve been very helpful!! Ive think im going to go w/ the ST avaitor. Im on my way to pick it up now. Im an ol' skule gamer that needs some new crack(WOW is my 1st love, but getting a lil old at times)I tried AH abt a year ago on my old roommates comp and really had a blast! SO i should be up and running at abt noon CDT. If anyone has some free time arround then I should be  in the TA working things out. So if u see an uber nubcake struggling in the TA, PLEASE feel free to hop in and give me some advice!! Im looking forward to seeing ev1 ingame!!!

Thundabooge

"You want the Thunda.... U GOT THE THUNDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
LT ThundaJB  VF-17 Jolly Rogers  Currently on R&R in Australia

You called down the Thunda, well now you've got it! You tell 'em I'M coming... and hell's coming with me, you hear?... HELL'S COMING WITH ME!!!

Offline drkorf

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 03:40:46 PM »
I have the Saitek Aviator. The springs are a little stiff, but an easy modification is to put a plastic zip tie around two spring coils at the base. You can rotate the zip tie around to change the spring tension. I also have a Logitech Wingman 3D, but I prefer the Saitek. I have had no problems with either of these cheap sticks, but I fly very gently, so that may be part of it.

Offline eh

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008, 04:56:27 PM »
First off thundabooge .... welcome.

as far as foot pedals...I don't think a newbie needs to deal with that right outta the gate....if you're like me...you'll spend three days just learing to take off....wait...I'm STILL learning...

(Image removed from quote.)

The CH Fighterstick is a twisty?

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 04:57:28 PM »
ST290Pro
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2008, 05:55:23 PM »
First off thundabooge .... welcome.

I think if you've decided to join...and pay $150 a year...you may as well get a great stick. (you will find this game is addicting) I ordred the CH FIGHTERSTICK after some research here...as everyone seems to think they are the rolls royce of sticks. 

I got the CH fighterstick for under $100 online....matter of fact...I think it was $85 on sale.....just don't install the software that comes with the stick....it's not needed.

as far as foot pedals...I don't think a newbie needs to deal with that right outta the gate....if you're like me...you'll spend three days just learing to take off....wait...I'm STILL learning...

(Image removed from quote.)

He will need rudder input. CH isn't a twisty stick so he'll need peds with it.
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2008, 06:15:27 PM »
I use the Av8r and I will never buy the x52. Those things got too many buttons and stuff. Av8r is perfect for the average player. Oh, and if you get one that doesnt have rudder control, get pedals

I would not dismiss all those buttons on a HOTAS set up. While it is personal preference, being able to access multiple functions in a fight without having to mess with the keyboard is the way to go for alot of people, n00b or vet.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2008, 06:18:07 PM »
Saitek X52 is good setup, but I hear CH sticks are even better for about the same cost. 125-150 bucks.

You can get a X-52 for about $90. With a CH set up each piece will run you that. It is worth the money however.

Offline Messiah

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2008, 06:29:14 PM »
Saitek Cyborg stick.  Have had mine for about a year and although I have to put a little soap(lubricant, wax etc) where the spring meets the spring cup to get it smooth, it feels as good as new.  I don't use any fancy HAT switches or the throttle even, I stick to good old numpad(for views) and bind engine throttle to 100% power to one button and 0% power to another. I wouldn't recommend that as it has it's disadvantages, but I've gotten used to it.  Now if you can afford it, I've heard good things about the x52 but if you want cheap can't beat $20 bucks.
Messiah(The O.G.)
The Blue Knights

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2008, 07:34:30 PM »
 Ive got the CH Fighterstick and CH Pro pedals.Since I play alot its worth the cost,around 200$ for both,and Ive had em for well into 8 years now.The stick is top of the line with the throttle on the stick.Nothing like toe breaks on the rudders too.Good durable stuff for the money.
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2008, 09:05:42 PM »
Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS..

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2008, 01:29:12 AM »
to this day i have not use pedals. i started with an ST 290 PRO and now use the AV8R from Saitek. i have thought about going to the X52 Pro but just have not yet set my mind to buying a 100 dollar stick. the AV8R runs about 50 bucks. i think cheaper on Ebay.
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2008, 01:41:11 AM »
Kilz, even if you've never had the opportunity to use them in a plane IRL, I cannot say enough about getting pedals.
Planes have them IRL for a very good reason, and the same thing applies in game. You get much finer control using pedals, and the proportional differential braking makes everything on the ground so much easier, plus if you presently have braking mapped to your stick, it frees up two more buttons for other things :aok
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2008, 11:44:34 AM »
I have to agree with SD67

I drug my feet about getting peds aswell, but Falcon23 just would not shut up about his.

so I bought some saitek peds..

it took me about a week to get used to them, and about a month before I got really proficient with them, you get used to a twisty stick and its hard to break the habit.  but now I dont even think about what my feet are doing, they just do it..

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2008, 08:07:15 PM »
I immediately took to my pedals...  it took no transaction time whatsoever, and I will never turn back.

However I do have just a bit of flying experience IRL (3 takeoffs, 2 landings, and a bunch of flying around in a Cessna 172), so I guess it was familiar in the first place.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2008, 09:10:01 PM »
See if you can get a MS sidewinder on ebay. I still use a Forcefeedback at times. Great stick. My current stick is an x52pro. Sometimes I think the MS FF is better.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter