Author Topic: Joysticks for a new player  (Read 1293 times)

Offline thundabooge

• Copper Member
Joysticks for a new player
« on: April 03, 2008, 02:33:27 AM »
Im going to download AH2 tom. morning and I new to get a joystick. What would u recommend on buying??
LT ThundaJB  VF-17 Jolly Rogers  Currently on R&R in Australia

You called down the Thunda, well now you've got it! You tell 'em I'M coming... and hell's coming with me, you hear?... HELL'S COMING WITH ME!!!

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
Re: Joysticks for a new player
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 02:37:27 AM »
That depends on your budget, if you have the money, CH or X52pro with pedals.
If it's a budget you're on then the Saitek Aviator is a good place to start.
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 03:22:21 AM »
Anything but Logitech.  Known to be unreliable.

I doubt you wanna spend the money on top end gear especially if your just starting out.  Top end being separate stick / separate throttle / separate rudder / key stroke pad and mini fridge  :D

There are cheaper sticks that have most things built in which is ideal for a newcomer.  So keep the following in mind when buying a stick.  You need a twisty (rudder) stick with a minimum of 8 way hat (views) with a throttle and as many buttons as possible.

Make sure you read the Aces High HELP file.  You actually need to tell the stick what it does when you come in game.  It's just not a case of "plug in and go".  So read up on stick configuration.  It's easy to configure but will be frustrating if not aware of it.  While your in the help files it wouldn't hurt to read all of it.  Spend 30 min reading instead of waisting 3 days asking basic or technical questions.  Make sure to read about and note some Key and Dot commands.

Good luck shopping and welcome aboard.....new target :aok

« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 03:48:26 AM by LYNX »

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 04:30:01 AM »
make this a sticky...
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 06:55:36 AM »
Saitek makes several reasonably priced starter sticks from the ST-290, Aviator, Cyborg, EVO.
All of which would work just fine. Price is going to start at around 20$ for the ST-290 and go up from there.

The minimum you need 3 axis control, Pitch, Roll, Yaw (rudder), plus Throttle, 8 way hat switch for views, and a few buttons.
This is bare minimum, so don't settle for less.

Or you can do some searching on ebay and come up with a bargain on old MS Sidewinder Joysticks.
Not being made anymore, but if you keep your eyes open you can probably find good ones that are USB for about 30$.
(Read carefully, there are sidewinders sold on ebay that have no rudder, or hat)

The best of the best is CH gear, but you pay for it.
If you can afford it, by all means go for it.

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 07:27:55 AM »
I still use a Thrustmaster Top Gun Fox2Pro. Reliable cheapy.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 07:40:26 AM »
Saitek X52 is good setup, but I hear CH sticks are even better for about the same cost. 125-150 bucks. Saitek 290 at WalMart for 20.00 if you dont want to spend much.
Lighten up Francis

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 07:45:47 AM »
I use the Av8r and I will never buy the x52. Those things got too many buttons and stuff. Av8r is perfect for the average player. Oh, and if you get one that doesnt have rudder control, get pedals
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline Hoagi

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 08:29:52 AM »
I concur with Logitek.  I went through 2 of them, they wouldnt stay calibrated.  I use and old MS Precision Pro II.  Got it off Ebay for $30 years ago, still works like a charm.  I would stay with a more economical joystick till you get used to the game.  There is a pretty large learning curve and with added grief of getting the x52 to work, it might save you some frustration to stay with a simplier stick.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 08:57:13 AM »

Mine lasted 3 weeks. We're talking 5 years ago but "once bitten..."

Offline Hawk55

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 09:06:53 AM »

Same here...can't beat it for the price.  :aok
The Lynchmob-Outlaws--HAWK

Offline Carwash

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 09:12:47 AM »
When I first started AHII, I bought an Saitek Av8r from Best Buy.  Served me well for the price until the hat switch started getting funny.  Well, by the time I was addicted and sprung for the whole CH setup stick, throttle and pedals.  I have no problem recommending CH.  If you like, you can plug it in and set it up inside AH with no problems.  If you're a little more ambitious, the CH software lets you do a lot of cool things.  I've got everything mapped to buttons on my stick and throttle.  The only, repeat only, time I use my keyboard is to type radio text.  I like that a lot.  AH needs voice recognition software for radio text.  I guess that would be wishlist material.

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 09:22:00 AM »
First off thundabooge .... welcome.

I think if you've decided to join...and pay $150 a year...you may as well get a great stick. (you will find this game is addicting) I ordred the CH FIGHTERSTICK after some research here...as everyone seems to think they are the rolls royce of sticks. 

I got the CH fighterstick for under $100 online....matter of fact...I think it was $85 on sale.....just don't install the software that comes with the stick....it's not needed.

as far as foot pedals...I don't think a newbie needs to deal with that right outta the gate....if you're like me...you'll spend three days just learing to take off....wait...I'm STILL learning...

« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 09:24:39 AM by ZetaNine »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 09:57:14 AM »
The software is a plus though.

I used Saitek for years with a twisty.  Decent sticks and cheap price.  Good starter pricing. Once your addiction kicks in you can move to Ch.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline 2fly

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2008, 10:45:42 AM »
I used CH for years back in the mid 90s for desktop sims. The held up very well.  Since starting AH about a year ago I got the x52 and rudders.  Absolutely zero problems or complaints with either. 

The advice about a cheap stick to start with is pretty good but I sorta disagree with not getting rudders quickly if you like the game.  I believe that pedals add a tremendous amount to the game and relearning to use pedals is more difficult than just starting out with them.  Ebay.....

Good luck and enjoy the game.  The learnng curve is harsh but worth it. :rock