Author Topic: Setting up event times in GMT (UTC)  (Read 1269 times)

Offline rbull312

• Zinc Member
Setting up event times in GMT (UTC)
« on: March 27, 2008, 02:24:29 PM »
Gentlemen,

please could you start setup event times in standard GMT (UTC) ? Setting up in local US times makes confusions - especially like right now during change of daylight savings.

In real aviation the GMT (UTC) is used. So we should do it same imho.
Not many, but much!

Offline flubby

• Zinc Member
      • http://joomla.hp-parrots.de/joomla/
Re: Setting up event times in GMT (UTC)
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 02:53:38 PM »
I support this. For me it is alway hard. CET = central eastern time or central european time  :rolleyes:

Cu

Flubby

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 03:27:54 PM »
I hope this helps.

CET is always Central European Time

CDT is always Central Daylight Time (US)

CST is usually Central Standard Time (US), but after the time change daylight savings becomes the standard for the entire US and usually Europe too, so many posters will just assume you already know it's really daylight savings time.

As you can see, CET is never used except for Euro centric events or events expected to attract European players such as scenarios. Times for Special Events are given in Eastern (US) time, exactly to prevent confusion with CET, CST and CDT.

For event times given only in EST (which means daylight savings time in both US and Europe atm :rolleyes:), you can use this table.

Helsinki                  +7
Europe                   +6
UK                        +5

Eastern                   0
Central                  -1
Mountain                -2
Pacific                   -3

Anchorage             -4
Hawaii                   -6

Melbourne/Sydney  -10 (I haven't checked these in awhile)
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline rbull312

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 03:52:27 PM »

As you can see, CET is never used except for Euro centric events or events expected to attract European players such as scenarios. Times for Special Events are given in Eastern (US) time, exactly to prevent confusion with CET, CST and CDT.

With respect, but above mentioned is an example of "US centric" thinking. EST is same category as CET or whichever else - a local time zone. So how you can setup a 0h zone for an EST??? 0h is GMT.
A standard is the GMT - or if you want UTC - Coordinated Universal Time or also Zulu time. All Flightbooks or Flightplans are keeped in this and no doubts, no confusions anymore. Recounting from GMT/UTC to the local times is simple if you know relation to your local zone.

all what you need about time zones is available on the http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com
UTC explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time

Introducing GMT/UTC in AH would help us a lot.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 03:55:12 PM by rbull312 »
Not many, but much!

Offline BarryBD

• Copper Member

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 06:58:25 PM »
A standard is the GMT - or if you want UTC - Coordinated Universal Time or also Zulu time. All Flightbooks or Flightplans are keeped in this and no doubts, no confusions anymore. Recounting from GMT/UTC to the local times is simple if you know relation to your local zone.
This is all very well for those with a military (or in my case Amateur Radio) background, but for many playing this game I think using GMT/UTC would cause more confusion, not less.  I know that a lot of people here in the UK tend to think GMT is our local time all year round, and can't seem to grasp the fact that we are only on GMT during the winter months.  If there is that much confusion here, there would be a lot more confusion by players in the US.  :)  I do take your point but we need to think about the bigger picture here.  Eastern time has always been used for events in AH (and in AW before that) for as long as I have been playing them, and this discussion has also taken place many times over the years.  :aok
Sorry didn't realise this thread was so old... just catching up! :)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 07:01:46 PM by Flossy »
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 07:28:57 AM »
I do take your point but we need to think about the bigger picture here.

Whats bigger that international ? GMT is the standard that's it !
now posting as SirNuke