Author Topic: TA 152 Skin  (Read 4708 times)

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
TA 152 Skin
« on: March 27, 2008, 09:29:00 PM »
Ok first let me explain where this is coming from and what assumptions I made.

JG11 was assigned at least 6 TA152s.  Two of these had been traced to WkN 150009 CW+CI and 150010 CW+CJ.  Now recent info has came out that 150010 might indeed be 150020.

According to the book "F o c k e -Wufl TA152" by Harmann a Leuntnant in Stab JG11 has said that all the planes seemed to be test aircraft since no two were alike.  They were enaged by Spits during their transfer to Leck and lost two of the TA152s and a third belly landed.

The following is a photo of a TA152 at Leck.

There is a third image but it is not already in the "web" and I do not want to scan it and post it.

This plane has been described as FW190  V18/US, CF+OY.  It has also been postulated that it might be TA152H-1 WkN 150025 coded CW+CY.
Either of which were most probably assigned to JG11.  CF+0Y (WkN 0 040) was a TA152H in all but original build, it had been modified to a TA152H.  This plane was a prototype and used in November 1944 as a conversion trainer.  It disappears from the paper trail in December when it was slightly damaged and got the new wooden tail planned for production aircraft.  It is possible it was assigned to JG11 in April 1945 and would explain how it ended up as shown above.  If it is 0025 then it was similarly assigned to JG11 at that time.  The only data for 0025 is that she was test flown in January.

Now the skin..

I gave it the plane code of 'Black 5' as the TA152 at the NASM is purported to be "Black 2" and is a JG11 aircraft.

It still needs some dirt around the wheel wells and some chipping.

The bloody board will not let me use "F o c k e" as it renders it focke :rofl
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
Re: TA 152 Skin
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 09:37:50 PM »
Holy crap Fencer!  :O Outstanding work bro! :aok
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 04:39:15 AM »
Looks good Fencer.  I think the wings camo usualy goes up to the end of the merging panel between wing and fuselage, at the wing root.
You know for sure the elevators were unpainted?  I guess that's in the other pic.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 05:23:40 AM »
Looks great Ken.  Look forward to flying it.  And thank you for helping validate what I have been preaching for years.  :rock
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline Fencer51

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 06:53:43 AM »
Looks good Fencer.  I think the wings camo usualy goes up to the end of the merging panel between wing and fuselage, at the wing root.
You know for sure the elevators were unpainted?  I guess that's in the other pic.

Yeah Moot, I will scan it and send it to you for your references you are gathering.  I got that TA152 book yesterday and it was in it.  Do you have Harmann's book?  There is also a table of the planes with some info about each in it.

Got an opinion on whether the ribs on the elevs will show?  In the pic (which is taken from directly behind) they do not show, but should I put them in here?

Thanks All.  You are welcome Stampf.  :aok
Fencer

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 07:14:33 AM »
Which Ta152 book? 
Yep, I have Harmann's. 
Yes, I think the ribs should be visible, there's no paint to subdue their shape..  The close-up pic of 167 in the 152 thread, taken from above the tail, shows undulations topside of the flaps.  So I'd say the elevator ribs should show.
Thanks for the extra refs  :)
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Fencer51

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 07:51:50 AM »
Look at page 85, that is the picture I was refering too.   I took the elevs to be RLM76.
Fencer

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 08:23:33 AM »
How'd I miss that.. I'm not sure if that's 76 or bare metal (looks kinda matte), but I definitely can't see the ribs at all.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Angrist

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 08:35:47 AM »
Absolutely amazing work! :rock

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 08:58:28 AM »
Looking good, Fencer. I like the green on green camo there, nice colours.

The only thing I can pick on it is the spinner... The spiral is a bit rough and pixelated.

That may be a compression issue with the jpeg upload of course.

Very nice work, though.

Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 09:32:39 AM »
That's as good a compromise as I'm getting on the hub, between sharp and aliased, and soft and blurry.

I hope we get two more weeks before the next pack submission deadline.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Fencer51

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 12:32:41 PM »
BTW, while I am thinking about it, thanks to Moot for the sharing of his TA152 info, helping me with the 30mm cannon chute location, advice on the colors and a few other things I am no doubt forgetting.  :aok
Fencer

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 01:34:20 PM »
You're welcome.. :)

I think the spiral might've been shorter.  I'm going to look thru pics and profiles to make sure, but I think I've noticed a trend towards shorter spirals as the war reached the end.  It's up to you though, that long a spiral wasn't so rare either.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 01:38:29 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 01:35:59 PM »
According to the book "F o c k e -Wufl TA152" by Harmann a Leuntnant in Stab JG11 has said that all the planes seemed to be test aircraft since no two were alike.  They were enaged by Spits during their transfer to Leck and lost two of the TA152s and a third belly landed.

Fencer, according to an individual arguing in another thread against the red/orange Ta152, test birds can not be included by his logic.

Not that I agree, just curious on your opinion on that?
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Fencer51

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 01:45:45 PM »
Fencer, according to an individual arguing in another thread against the red/orange Ta152, test birds can not be included by his logic.

Not that I agree, just curious on your opinion on that?

Well I hate to agree with that individual on most topics, but he is right this time.  I am going to quote a few posts from another board below.

Hello,

As seen in J. Crandall's book, p.155, I'd like to know the RLM color code(s) that was used in the paint for this bird, and if it isn't an official RLM number, any hint for me to find as accurate a digital (CMYK/RGB/etc) color value as possible.

Thanks in advance,
m.

Hi,

After Mr. Auffhammer and others related the story involving the red-orange Ta152 I built and painted four Ta152 models for them to choose the correct color rather than to rely on a verbal description. The one every one agreed on was painted with a mixture of about 25% RLM 04 Yellow and 75% RLM 23 Red. One of the parties involved remarked "I'll never forget that color I can see it like it was yesterday". Mr. Auffhammer said he wanted the brightest red they could mix.

Cheers, Jerry

I couldn't have wished for a better answer

Can I ask one last question Mr. Crandall? Do you know if, by any chance, this Ta152 was flown in any sort of combat action (even dodging attacks as K.Tank was reported to have done) in the 24 hours or so it was borrowed, or if it definitely did not encounter anything of the sort?

Thank you,
m.

Hi, For that one flight when it was painted red-orange there was no contact with enemy aircraft.
Cheers, Jerry

If anyone would know at this removed time from the actual date, Jerry Crandall would.  I can see the argument from both sides, its a war zone, its late in the war, there are so few skins for this plane etc.. but it is a slippery slope.  Would 'Yippee' be next?

I would recommend against it being put in game. 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 01:47:43 PM by Fencer51 »
Fencer