Author Topic: And you thought the 262 perkies were high  (Read 1234 times)

Offline Torcher

• Copper Member
And you thought the 262 perkies were high
« on: March 28, 2008, 03:29:44 PM »
From a  "model builder" for FSX, but would be a sweet ride in here, too.

New Release:
Gotha Ho229
For Flight Simulator X

***** Productions
is Proud to Announce the Release of the Gotha Ho 229 for Flight Simulator X.

" Had the Ho 229 made it into production it would have been the culmination of Luftwaffe technology and design. Featuring flying wing technology to reduce drag, two 30mm cannons, one of the first ejection seats, and a powerplant of two Junkers Jumo jet engines, the Ho 229 would have been unmatched in the skies over Europe. In fact, the Ho 229 was the only German aircraft to come close to Reichsmarschall Hermann Göring performance requirements of a payload of 1,000kg, a range of 1,000km, and top speed of 1,000km/h. Had the Luftwaffe been able to produce and utilize such power, one can therorize that the tides of the war would have been significantly different. In addition, there is also been much controversay regarding claims that the technology of the Ho 229 helped American researchers develop one of the most sophisticated aircraft of modern times, the B-2 Stealth bomber. Such claims whether true or not, only give another testiment to this marvel of aeronautical achievement. SkyUnlimited has worked hard to replicate this marvel of aerial ingenuity for your personal enjoyment. You now can take to the skies in one of the most mysterious and deadly aircraft of WWII. "

Suhweet .... gimee, gimee, gimee

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: And you thought the 262 perkies were high
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 03:38:02 PM »
the Ho 229 would have been unmatched in the skies over Europe

Bull pucky.

Many US planse were carrying a HECK of a lot more than 2000lbs and carrying it MUCH farther than 1000km in range. The Jumo engines were hard to produce, unreliable, and wouldn't have lasted for the flight time duration it would take to fly 1000km, let alone more than 1 sortie.

It was a much-hyped pipe dream and even if in production wouldn't have done any more than the Ar234 (which carried 3000lbs) or the 262 (which was already carrying 2000lbs, 2x 500kg).

Typical Luft '46.

P.S. Also more typical wikipedia-quality claims that the Ho inspired the B-2 are incorrect. Northrop was working on flying wings LONG before Horta. They had several prop, and later jet, designs that allowed them to learn and develop the B-2 many years later.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 03:40:06 PM by Krusty »

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 01:02:35 AM »
I don't think it would have been stable. No vertical stabilizers. Even the Northrop Flying wings of the time were unstable and they had some vertical stabilizers.

Offline C(Sea)Bass

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 01:11:08 AM »
I don't think it would have been stable. No vertical stabilizers. Even the Northrop Flying wings of the time were unstable and they had some vertical stabilizers.

Must be that german fly by wire system :D

Offline snowey

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 06:32:40 AM »
acualy it was determined that the stability problems only happened near stall spead
snowey
=55th=VelociRaptors
Flying since tour 79
VansCrew is a traitor and deserves to be shot
yes i know i cant spell so don't say anything about it

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 06:47:38 AM »
Many US planse were carrying a HECK of a lot more than 2000lbs and carrying it MUCH farther than 1000km in range. The Jumo engines were hard to produce, unreliable, and wouldn't have lasted for the flight time duration it would take to fly 1000km, let alone more than 1 sortie.

Not at 600+ mph...

I don't know the lateral stability, but i bet rudder type snapshots would be a beyatch.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 11:41:01 AM »
I would imagine it had to have atleast some form of rudder authority with a brake or some such on either wing. 

I still think the mere fact the Germans had a few even partially built is an incredible feat considering the situation near the end.  Had it flown outside of wind tunnels... man, what a beauty.
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Selino631

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 12:04:58 PM »
That plane is in the very last level in Medal of Honor: Frontline!
OEF 11-12

Offline Allen Rune

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 12:26:10 PM »
That plane is in the very last level in Medal of Honor: Frontline!

And I stole it  :D
The Screwed One

"And so it begins, may it never end."

Offline zoozoo

• Silver Member
      • http://myspace.com/zachisbackforasnack
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 12:37:17 PM »
lmao :aok
Zoozoo
Jokers Jokers
zoozoo fighter ace issue one:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,240022.0.html

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 10:07:25 PM »
*snip snip*
           " Had the Ho 229 made it into production it would have been the culmination of Luftwaffe technology and design. Featuring flying wing technology to reduce drag, two 30mm cannons, one of the first ejection seats, and a powerplant of two Junkers Jumo jet engines, the Ho 229 would have been unmatched in the skies over Europe. In fact, the Ho 229 was the only German aircraft to come close to Reichsmarschall Hermann Göring performance requirements of a payload of 1,000kg, a range of 1,000km, and top speed of 1,000km/h. Had the Luftwaffe been able to produce and utilize such power, one can therorize that the tides of the war would have been significantly different.
*snip snip*
'Nuff said. Didn't see combat.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline ShrkBite

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 12:53:46 AM »
ya selino i seen it too. It would be good addition so i can get rid of my 3000 bomber perks

Offline Wes14

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 11:13:37 AM »
Thats like me asking for this... :noid

Warning! The above post may induce: nausea, confusion, headaches, explosive diarrhea, anger, vomiting, and whining. Also this post may not make any sense, or may lead to the hijack of the thread.

-Regards,
Wes14

Offline EvlPrsn

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 02:09:58 PM »
Thats like me asking for this... :noid
(Image removed from quote.)

if it has 2 tater guns and 4 mgs, i'll take it   :aok
If i said anything to offend u, plz ignore it.

also, if i say anything stupid or rude, it was probobly too late at night and i was half asleep, so ignore that too.

oh yeah, its all just my opinion, so if ya dont care, just keep it to urself, cuz if u dont care, i sure wont!

Offline DPQ5

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 09:16:21 PM »
ho-229 was real and i believed they made a prodotype.   

It did exsist
29th Infantry Division
Darkest Hour Realism Unit
King Company
Sgt. Phillips