Author Topic: Work on skins  (Read 876 times)

Offline StugIII

• Copper Member
Work on skins
« on: March 29, 2008, 12:23:36 AM »
I know, i feel like a noob, but i would rlly like to work on skins, i would like to know how to do it, there was a thing by HTC but it didn't help me, so i thought i'd go to the guys that make skins. What program do you guys use? how do you get the plane to appear to work on it and how did u get it there, a basic on how to do this would be great, and for those who are like another noob, i did a little bit of searching or it and reading, so i hope this make me less of a noob, lol :aok

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
Re: Work on skins
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 01:57:54 AM »
I use Adobe Photoshop 7. A few people here use GIMP which is a free program designed to be like Photoshop.

To get started on a skin you need to do the following:

-Make sure you have at least one version of the game set at 1024 textures with the Hi-Res pack installed

-Select the plane that you wish to skin in the hangar, right click and select 'save default skin'

-Go to your AH directory, go to 'skins' and open the folder that has been created of the aircraft you wish to skin. Eg '109_k41' or whatever it happens to be.

- There will be an image of the aircraft flattened out, for the 109K it is 109K41

- Open this image in your photo-editing program. It's also a good idea to expand the canvas size to 1500 x 1500 or so so that you've got a blank border around the template so that you can zoom right in on the very edges of it. I paint a couple of samples of the colours I'm using in the blank spaces there so that I can change colours easily, too.

- From here it's a process of 'tracing' over the panel lines and rivets (use seperate layers for these) and when you've finished that, reducing the opacity (to something like 10%)

- It's a good idea to colour in the surfaces of the aircraft in a base colour after you've done the rivets and panel lines. I use the underside camo colour (RLM 76 blue, for example).

- From there you can start doing the actual camo... then the dirt, exhaust stains and paint chips.

- Be careful to keep things on seperate layers so that you can adjust things more easily. I find that colour-coding the layers in the layer tab a helpful trick to make it easy to identify which layer is what. (dirt, camo, rivets etc)

You will start with this (slightly edited on the left fuselage):
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i253/plague_06/Aces%20High/109K41.jpg

and end up with something like this:
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i253/plague_06/Aces%20High/109K4SkinJG3DeskauMain.jpg

To view your progress you will need to download a plug-in called 'bright'. You export the image through the bright plug-in and then replace the standard template with your edited one (eg. rename it '109K41' for the 109K) and then load up the game and your skin will replace one of the options available in the skin drop-down bar in the hangar.

That should get you started.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 02:40:06 AM »
Just to expand on what Xasthur said a little...

I use CS3 Photoshop so my process may vari a bit.

I start on the panel lines, access points, and similar items first. When doing panel lines seperate areas into different layers. I found out, the hard way, its not good to have engine cowl lines on the same layer as say the aileron. Typically the engine cowl has fairly dark lines and lighter in other areas of the plane. I divided the La-5 skin I have in progress into about 40 layers of panel lines. It doesnt take long to change layers in CS3 so its well worth it. I think the end result looks far better than using 2-3 layers.

When you pick your base color there are a few things to look at. First just because a plane has a lot of one color doesnt mean you should us this color. When you look at were the bitmap starts to wrap around objects you see that sometimes its easier to use another color. I ran into this with the Poni skin I am working with. I was starting to finish the belly and realized that figuring out where all the art lined up was going to be a nightmare. Once I hit that roadblock I started over using the belly color as the base and worked from there.

Take care in picking which plane you want to skin. Some skins are older and have layouts that make your eyes hurt. I have found that the new models have great layouts and easy to follow wrapping. This makes it far easier to figure out the little things and what wraps around to different areas. When you pick a skin dont trust anything! Just because a color looks black in a profile doesnt mean it is.(Another lesson learned) If your really serious check out this website. http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/336/1/5 Its not 100% accurate but like Krusty said "Its good for inspiration."

These are just a few issues that I learned the hard way recently and hope they help you get up to speed. I just started so there a lot of people who know more than me and they give good advice so take notes.

Strip(er)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 03:29:27 AM by Strip »

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 05:04:37 AM »
^ Good advice.

You should make research your first port of call when it comes to starting a skin. Try to find photos.... buy books... search on the internet.

Profiles are helpful but do not take them as gospel. Also, check out model aircraft too... they're a handy perspective. They're just an artist's impression, same as with a profile but they can help.

It's also a good idea to call out what you're starting work on in this forum too to prevent double-ups and skins already done.

Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 09:16:04 AM »
I start on the panel lines, access points, and similar items first. When doing panel lines seperate areas into different layers. I found out, the hard way, its not good to have engine cowl lines on the same layer as say the aileron. Typically the engine cowl has fairly dark lines and lighter in other areas of the plane. I divided the La-5 skin I have in progress into about 40 layers of panel lines. It doesnt take long to change layers in CS3 so its well worth it. I think the end result looks far better than using 2-3 layers.

40 layers just for panel lines? Wow. I just have three layers for panel lines. "Black", "White", and "Dirt" if I need one part lighter then the others I use the majic wand tool and use the eraser to set the opacity. I also use the MWT to move parts of the layer. I used to do it the way you are saying but later I learned that they are unnecessary and just make the file bigger.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline StugIII

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 10:50:25 AM »
were did you guys find that Gimp program and this is the part were i have tonz of trouble
I use Adobe Photoshop 7. A few people here use GIMP which is a free program designed to be like Photoshop.

-Go to your AH directory, go to 'skins' and open the folder that has been created of the aircraft you wish to skin. Eg '109_k41' or whatever it happens to be.

I cant find that file, but thanks for the help you guys have given me so far

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 11:29:45 AM »
Well you have different width lines, different shades, different magnitudes, vertical shadow, horizontal shadow, several access panels, and other shadows. Then factor in adjusting them independtly and you get where I am at.

Strip(er)

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 11:59:00 AM »
I have 5 layers... basic fuselage lines, darker cowl lines, upper wing lines, lower wing lines, and one for other things (first aid kit, other random little things like that.

40 layers though? Holy crap.
My panels, though, are just a singular black pixel line. That's to wide already, so I dont really see the point in distorting it even more.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 12:02:12 PM by Motherland »

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 12:03:35 PM »
were did you guys find that Gimp program and this is the part were i have tonz of trouble

Click here for GIMP
I use GIMP, its a nice prgram. And, since its free, you really can't argue to much.

What plane are you looking to do, specifically?

Offline StugIII

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 02:38:47 PM »
i was looking to do the tiger and possibly eventually others

Offline StugIII

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 02:50:24 PM »
thanks for the help so far guys i'm still trying to get the one part to work

Offline StugIII

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 03:40:21 PM »
so i got gimp downloaded, and i downloaded the thing at the top, but i still cant figure out were to get AH directory were is that? like in the game or in a file on the computer were?

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 03:42:44 PM »
so i got gimp downloaded, and i downloaded the thing at the top, but i still cant figure out were to get AH directory were is that? like in the game or in a file on the computer were?

Start menu-> my computer
Type this into the address bar:
C:\Program Files\HTC\Aces High II\Skins

Offline StugIII

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2008, 04:15:17 PM »
thanks guys its finally working, sweet, hopefully in a while you can see what it looks like!

Offline StugIII

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 04:47:29 PM »
this is what i would like to do to the tiger  :aok

http://www.tankzone.co.uk/images/fov/16/85504/tiger007_600.jpg
http://www.thetoyfederation.com/xcart/files/t_19613.jpg
 if anyone has done this plz tell me before I waste time