Author Topic: 2 questions  (Read 663 times)

Offline spit16nooby

• Copper Member
2 questions
« on: March 30, 2008, 05:20:56 PM »
1. First of all I fly the 190-D a lot and I have a bit of trouble.  After I dive a plane going slow i have trouble coming to get another shot.  I normally will climb up roll and dive back down but this doesn't seem like the best way to do it and I often overshoot.
2.  Also I hear a lot about yo-yos :huh but I do't know exactly what they are if someone could post a video that would be nice.  Also I would like to know any manuevers that are good for 190s.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Re: 2 questions
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 05:38:37 PM »
2.  Also I hear a lot about yo-yos :huh but I do't know exactly what they are if someone could post a video that would be nice.  Also I would like to know any manuevers that are good for 190s.
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,193840.0.html

Offline nimble

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 09:09:26 PM »
1. First of all I fly the 190-D a lot and I have a bit of trouble.  After I dive a plane going slow i have trouble coming to get another shot.  I normally will climb up roll and dive back down but this doesn't seem like the best way to do it and I often overshoot.

Unless you are engaged alone with a single plane like a pony, you want to keep as much speed/altitude with a dora as possible. If you are overshooting with consequence(taking hits or dying) after your pass you are trying to saddle too hard on your target. Stick to BnZ in a D9 until you get better stall fighting skills.

Most people use this approach with the D9 because of reputation. It's really not that bad slow at all if you utilize it's roll, you can confidently take one up slow against a lot of pony sticks and get the advantage.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 09:12:18 PM by nimble »
Even if it seems certain that you will lose, retaliate. Neither wisdom nor technique has a place in this. A real man does not think of victory or defeat. He plunges recklessly towards an irrational death. By doing this, you will awaken from your dreams.

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 11:26:18 AM »
D9 is a plane with great speed, climb, (near)centerline mounted cannon and heavy machine gun firepower, amazing roll, dive,and good visibilty. Has only ONE big flaw in fact. Unfortunately, that flaw is being just about the worst turner in the game, you have to learn to work around that.

Like the other posters said, it is going to make you very vulnerable if you break out of a conservative game of high-speed passes to E-fight one guy while there are multiple bandits around you (but the same can be said about commiting to a turnfight with someone in a furball while flying a TnB plane).  Look for anyone liable to bite on a rope though.

It is hard to see under the Dora's nose, and the plane does not turn well, and it will bleed alot of E trying to pull lead with a hi-g turn. Therefore, be leary of tracking shots, unless the opponent lets you well within 400 before he breaks and breaks predictably. On your standard more or less flat turn, look to set up a crossing snap shot instead, preferably after you've already made them break hard a couple of times to bleed off some speed. The biggest factor of difficulty in a snapshot is how much airspeed they cross your gunsight with.

Remember, that if they break DOWN constantly, you are going to have real trouble killing them until you are both close to the deck. If he gets you to take a shot nose down, you'll tend to end up overshooting beneath, leading to your energy advantage being cut deeply into. As a rule of thumb, always try to be fairly near level or nose up at the moment you fire, and pull into the vertical the second you miss/realize you have no gun solution. So if you are in a multiple bandit situation, remember to work the highest red guy there, and if he starts to do split-S down, instead of trying to equalize the E, he is probably just trying to suck drag you beneath friends and you should be patient, let them go and work the NEXT highest red guy.

One area I think I need to improve on in the 190 that you might also look at, is shooting from slightly longer ranges. I like to wait till point-blank, but I notice it can be difficult to pull into the vertical quickly and smoothly enough to avoid overshooting the flight path if they do a sudden break at -200 as you are quickly closing. So I have decided that I probably need to use the Dora's decent accuracy and ammo load to fire from further out, and either do damage or force them to maneuver while I still have time to react intelligently.

One more thing, a certain percentage of opponents in rides like N1Ks, HurrIIcs, LA7s, even some Spit drivers, will try to defend by using their turning ability to simply swap ends and HO everytime you close on your firing pass. Resist any frustration-born temptation HO, the radiator in your Dora goes out WAY too easy, you can avoid obvious HO attempts with a slightly skewed Immel and stay in their six quarter with E all day against such an approach. After all, the whole purpose of flying a high-speed E fighter as opposed to a TnB furballer is to kill AND survive to land, and that rules out HOs.

Offline spit16nooby

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 07:42:34 PM »
Thanks for that info it is rally helpful.  Something that I forgot to mention is sometimes I have trouble fighting vertically with spit16s or niks.  They always seem to get an angle on me before they run out of and stall or have to expose themselves.

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 08:25:39 PM »
Thanks for that info it is rally helpful.  Something that I forgot to mention is sometimes I have trouble fighting vertically with spit16s or niks.  They always seem to get an angle on me before they run out of and stall or have to expose themselves.

Well, its just a matter of having enough E. Remember also, you have to deal with the fact that higher-wingloaded planes will bleed E more quickly than the lighter loaded ones while pulling the same Gs, due to induced drag.(This effect seems especially pronounced in AHII.)  So sometimes even planes with a worse weight-to-power ratio can catch you when you pull up if the initial speeds are not too dissimilar. If you need a little more time for someone trying to climb beneath you to fall off, level off before you get below your minimum controllable airspeed and maintain a gentle flat turn, not loosing any alt. Remember, no smart opponent will follow you up to the point they loose maneuverability when you have E. They will maintain enough speed to pull up into you so that you dive beneath them if you come down more or less vertically in the re-attack, (a surprisingly large percentage will straight-up HO as they do this, to). So unless they are hanging and helpless, have the patience to set up your re-attack from to be from behind the 3/9 line and more or less level, rather than coming straight down on their canopy

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 08:56:51 AM »
What's a guy named spit16nooby doing flying a Dora?   :)

Here's a couple of quick tips.  I fly 190's a lot, particularily the A-8 but these lessons work across the family:

Speed is your friend.  Keep it fast.  Minimize turning (~540 degrees of low G turning is all, then it's time to scoot).

The technique you are currently using is one of the most effective in the 190's.  Come onto a guys six fast.  If you miss the shot go vertical, roll 180 degrees then pull the stick back to re-aquire his six, rolling back upright as you do so.  Other than this move, for which you need a lot of E, try to avoid severe verticle manouvers.  The 190's don't climb well without speed and any good climber will catch you, however, if you do have a lot of smash the 190's can pull the rope like nothing else.

Another useful technique is the barrel roll, or effectively a rolling scissor around a flat line target.  The 190's roll so well that they just want to spin on their axis, so you need to introduce a little rudder to pull this off, but done correctly, it will bring you to the target's straight-line speed without having to slow down or burn much E.

Hope that helps.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Thing

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 04:59:27 AM »
Hey BnZ

I too enjoy the Dora but struggle with her cannons.  What convergence do you set your weapons at?

:salute Thing

P.S.  Excellent posts
"IrishOne I'm gonna kick your fvking ass"

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 12:27:55 PM »

My convergence is 400/400 right now. This is rather long, but does not seem to have reduced close-range effectiveness. I've tested the Dora guns using the .target function, drop is not as bad as you would think. At 1G, there will be a respectably tight pattern around the pipper at any distance from point-blank to 600. Wouldn't waste ammo on a maneuvering target at the extreme ends of this range myself, but if you are better shot than me, you can easily land good hits on a non-maneuvering target as soon as the distance meter ticks down to 400 (500 yards) and surprise a few people that way.

Dora 20MM has slow ROF, more space between the rounds than with Hispanos or .50s. IMO, this means that whether in a dead six or a planform shot, aiming right for the centerline and going for the engine-cockpit-tail trifecta is better than betting on a wing hit. Three successive chances of a disabling hit rather than one. This is where the no-fuss lack of convergence issues on the guns really helps.