Author Topic: DOG FIGHTING BOMBERS  (Read 2188 times)

Offline DCCBOSS

• Nickel Member
DOG FIGHTING BOMBERS
« on: April 01, 2008, 09:05:10 AM »
Yesterday morning I was on my way to a gv base in B17's when in the cock pit I saw tracers going past, i quickly manned the rear gun to find another set of B17's flying perpendicular to my flight path trying to shoot me down I returned fire as he went out of range of my guns, as I return to my normal flight path I decided to recheck my six low and behold he was attempting another pass at me, but this time he was approching from my six on angle to my left which gave me the leading shot at him so I let loose all my rear guns and lit him up like a christmas tree, the hits were on him and his drones, he had no chance.

I almost forgot about 3 weeks ago I was gunning for a sqaudy in B24's as we came upon a set of B17's, we were at there low seven oclock and flew under them to about 400 out before I let loose with the top turrets and the pilot was on the front guns, he blew up immediately and we finish off his drones in seconds, I don't think he knew what hit him.

I was wondering do any of you guys run into this type of bomber to bomber action and what type scenario was it under.  :salute
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 10:21:55 AM by DCCBOSS »
"Where ever you go, there you are".
C.O. of Rolling Thunder

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: DOG FIGHTING BOMBERS
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 09:08:45 AM »
We had a B24 dogfight off the map in MA. Two teams going head to head. So many laughs and some pretty amazing moves.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 09:13:15 AM »
Not everyday you run into those situations but they do happen from time to time. I got under 3 flights of Lancasters one day in a flight of Ki-67's. That top 20mm turret made short work of 7 of them in no time. The whinning was priceless.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline valdals

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 09:17:21 AM »
ive shot down a couple of yaks with a b26 in a low level turnfight.

Offline Carwash

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 09:18:50 AM »
I've used B-17s as flying anti-aircraft guns to defend capped fields.  Does that count?  Probably not, kind of a gamey thing to do. 

Offline Hawk55

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 09:30:06 AM »
LOL  :rofl, that's how I met 5 Point OH.  I'm flying rooks, he's bish and he's dogfighting me in a 24, and making it handle like a fighter. I'm lmao, licking my chops, until he shoots my bellybutton down. We end up talking, becoming friends & he recruits me to his squad and the bish.  All because some crazy bellybutton dogging in a bomber.   :salute
The Lynchmob-Outlaws--HAWK

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 09:40:20 AM »
As posted in another thread, I went buff hunting with a formation of AR234's one night after dropping my ord.  I ran into 4 flights of B-17's.  I dove under one set, then popped up in front of him firing.  I did a wide full speed turn and took another pass.  This time I lost a drone and they smoked an engine on each of my remaining 234's so I RTB'd but I did at least smoke one of the 17's.

Another night I was in a set of Lancs descending from over 25K rtb when I spotted a set of B-17's below and to my left.  I increased my dive angle and pointed to a spot I thought I'd be able to intercept.  My plan worked perfect as I leveled ~1.5K on his six and closing.  I jumped into the front guns and at 800 I lit him up like a Christams tree.  We both limped away smoking with no kills on either side.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline mna78

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 09:57:02 AM »
Yep, we had 4 sets of B24's a while back and an enemy set came round onto our 6:

Inflight name history:
mna78 > Mark > DMark > MarkV > [2 year break]Mark

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 09:58:26 AM »
I frequently used to attack bombers in 234s, but most recently i had my b17 vs. JAXXO's b26s and then against kamilyun in ki67s i think.  Rolling a b17 at a capped field to kill vulchers is also fun.
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 10:11:43 AM »
We did a textbook b17 raid the other week,  shutting down a medium fields hangars. 

Looking for some red guys to shoot at, we got quite a bit lower but a squaddie was being greedy stealing all the kills.   

I see a set of enemy b17's heading towards our field low.  We needed to rtb so we tracked this guy and formed up.  I dove on him from above whilst gentile went low under him.   What followed was a 5 vs 3 B17 shoot out but the poor guy got caught in a nasty crossfire and his planes got vaporised.  Wish I had filmed it now but sure as hell was fun  :D

Bomber vs bomber gunship wars reminds me of what the old wooden tallships must have felt like when they went into battle.  Tricky positioning then letting loose with a broadside.  The victor the spoils.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline BroncoSquid

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 10:18:59 AM »
Sounds like they really need to have a YB-40 Gunship put into AH. Good Idea, but IIRC it was too slow to keep up with the bomber formations...

Offline Hoagi

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 10:21:39 AM »
Me and HONDO came up to a set of Lancasters with his 24's rtbing.  I quickly shot them down in short order and HONDO added a spit to the talley.  Was pretty funny.

Hoagi

Offline tatertot

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 10:44:36 AM »
somewere i have film of me in lancs dogfighting 26s killed 2 wounded the 3rd he ran like a baby home!
THE NAME TATERTOT IS NOT FROM MY FAV FOOD !!!!!!

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 10:50:39 AM »
I enjoy watching the bombers hotshot it.
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 10:55:26 AM »
We had a B24 dogfight off the map in MA. Two teams going head to head. So many laughs and some pretty amazing moves.

Does it make any difference being off the map?

Also, whenever I try and fly a buff like a fighter, I wind up killing my wings.  Can you gun easily anyway without having a gunner?

Sound like fun  :rofl

<S>

Yossarain
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ