Author Topic: Kill me while you have a chance  (Read 1938 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: Kill me while you have a chance
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2008, 09:18:08 AM »
If your old stick still works fine and you wish to keep using it try a converter.

http://www.cableguyusa.com/cgi-bin/cable/601-733.html

Here's the problem:

"Supports conventional analog game controllers."

"* This converter is for Analog Joysticks and Gamepads ONLY, it will NOT work with Digital joysticks"

The Sidewinders were all digital sticks (the only digital sticks built to run through a standard gameport).  There's something (that I don't really understand) in the way they utilized the 15 pin game port to carry the digital signal to the proccessor that isn't normally built into a 15 pin gameport to usb adapter.  These are all built for 4 button analog joysticks.

To add to the confusion, the few adapters out there that claim to work with Sidewinders typically only work with select models.  I've found converters for the Precision Pro and for the Force Feedback (both of which originally were available with a usb adapter), but not for a 3D Pro which was the first Sidewinder joystick.

I did find another gameing site where some guy was building converters for 3D Pros on circuit boards but it sounded like it was only very rarely and by request when there were enough requests to warrent buying the boards plus it was more or less a "I'll send you the parts, you build it" kind of thing.  I might drop a note on that site and hope one day I get one.  Alternately, I could always dump my Creative X-Fi Gamer and get a cheapie soundcard with a gameport I guess but the X-Fi has it's own proccessor and RAM which is nice.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 01:42:25 PM »
Swithching from a MS Sidewinder 3D Pro to a Saitek ST-290.  I just built a new computer and it only has USB ports and none of the decent soundcards have gameports anymore either.  Since I'm left handed I was stuck with the choice of the ST-290, the Evo wireless (didn't want ot have to change batteries all the time), the Evo Force (read a lot of bad reviews about it sticking) or the Aviator (didn't look like it had enough buttons).  And to top it off none of the gameport to usb adapters work with the Sidewinders (or more accurately, the ones that do only work with very specific models, none of which are the 3D Pro). 

I'm bummed.
i actually didn't know they made left handed sticks till recently...but back in AW3, i had learned to fly right handed.
when i started in AH, i had the sidewinder2 force feedbakc, with the twisty rudder. i switched about 6 months ago to all CH stuff,.....f16 combat stick, prothrottle, and prorudders. i flew against the AI with my twisty stick on my other puter.......i csan't see how i ever flew or killed with that stick now. just give it time, you'll love your new stuff!!

<<S>>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline A8balls

• Copper Member
      • http://a8s.us
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2008, 04:09:45 PM »
Does your MS stick have the analog emulator switch on the bottom? It may work with the adapter then, if it does.
Aces & 8s Since 2006

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2008, 05:29:51 PM »
I've got an X-Fi platinum, and it came with a gameport adapter that plugs onto the sound card, then you just screw it onto the motherboard on an empty slot underneath it. If your X-fi came with one and you already tried this to no avail, then ignore my post. I've got a MS Sidewinder FF2, but it's a USB stick so I had no need to install the gameport thing in my machine.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2008, 05:40:37 PM »
I've got an X-Fi platinum, and it came with a gameport adapter that plugs onto the sound card, then you just screw it onto the motherboard on an empty slot underneath it. If your X-fi came with one and you already tried this to no avail, then ignore my post. I've got a MS Sidewinder FF2, but it's a USB stick so I had no need to install the gameport thing in my machine.

I've got an X-Fi Gamer Fatality.  It didn't come with one of those.  I wish it did.

A8balls, Yes, I do have a switch at the bottom front of my stick which I think changes it to and from digital and analog (but I'm not really sure because I never change it).

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2008, 01:29:39 PM »
I've got an X-Fi Gamer Fatality.  It didn't come with one of those.  I wish it did.

A8balls, Yes, I do have a switch at the bottom front of my stick which I think changes it to and from digital and analog (but I'm not really sure because I never change it).
As I mentioned I don't use mine, I can mail it to you and see if it will plug into your soundcard. If it doesn't no loss to me or you, it's small so I can just stick it in a regular envelope. Let me know if you might be interested, either here or by PM.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2008, 02:00:34 PM »
As I mentioned I don't use mine, I can mail it to you and see if it will plug into your soundcard. If it doesn't no loss to me or you, it's small so I can just stick it in a regular envelope. Let me know if you might be interested, either here or by PM.

Before you go through that effort, how does it plug onto the card?  What type of connector or how many pins does it have?  I can see if it will even work before you go to any effort of mailing it.

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2008, 05:50:04 PM »
Sorry it's a bit blurry, the macro on my digital camera isn't that great. But, it should show you if it will work or not.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2008, 12:49:47 AM »
I don't want to lose this tread just yet.  I'll check tomorrow night to see if I have a 16 pin connector that looks like it would work.

Thanks for posting the pic.

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2008, 10:41:12 AM »
I don't want to lose this tread just yet.  I'll check tomorrow night to see if I have a 16 pin connector that looks like it would work.

Thanks for posting the pic.
No problem, I'll keep my eye on this thread for your reply.

Offline RitzCH

• Zinc Member
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2008, 12:36:28 PM »
I still use the sidewinder 3d pro and it has a usb converter.  i bought the x52 and returned it within 2 weeks, couldnt stand it.
RitzCH
~364th C-HAWKS Fighter Group~

"Nothing sh^ts on spits like the Ritz"