Flying since tour 79
VansCrew is a traitor and deserves to be shot
yes i know i cant spell so don't say anything about it

Offline valdals

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Re: p-39
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 06:37:48 AM »
its a common problem with the p39. so i quit flying it.

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 06:55:41 AM »
isnt the 37mm on a p39 suppose to be crap at longer ranges?only good if hit real close up
due to bad trajectory nd mussel velocity
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 09:28:08 AM »
I have not yet failed to knock down a fighter with a single hit. I've played with it doing offline missions, firing only the 37mm. If I hit a fighter, it explodes or at least suffers damage to make it useless (half of a wing missing).

The problem, I suspect, is a matter of hitting the fighter in the first place.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline snowey

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 06:22:04 PM »
me an a squad mate were only shooting 37 so i had to hit with the 37 or i wouldnt have seen the hit sprites
snowey
=55th=VelociRaptors
Flying since tour 79
VansCrew is a traitor and deserves to be shot
yes i know i cant spell so don't say anything about it

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 12:20:55 PM »
me an a squad mate were only shooting 37 so i had to hit with the 37 or i wouldnt have seen the hit sprites

I took a P-39Q offline and shot 37mm into a P-38. A tail hit always ripped off half of the elevator and sometimes that side's rudder as well. Outer wing hits would knock off the outer wing. Hits towards the center of the aircraft always exploded it. No more than two hits were required to knock down a P-38, with one usually being enough.

For comparison, I took a Bf 109G-14 with the 30mm cannon. One hit to the elevator resulted in half of the elevator being shot off. One hit to the outer wing resulted in the outer wing coming off. No different than with the 37mm of the P-39Q. One P-38 absorbed three 30mm hits. One knocked out one motor, the other two took off each of the outer wings. A fourth hit was required to explode this P-38.

So, I saw no significant difference between the 37mm M1 and 30mm Mk108 in terms of producing damage. If anything, the 37mm was, perhaps, slightly better. However, shot placement is a major factor.

I have film of the above tests.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 10:34:40 PM »
I fly the p39, the 37mm is fine.

Useless on some bomber locations, but any type of fighter folds under the 37mm in most case's.
However planes like the il-2 and f6f can take upto 2 hits before loosing major parts.

Rugged construction, so..it figures.

Everything else feels right.
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."