Author Topic: Hall Effect Sensors  (Read 3742 times)

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
Hall Effect Sensors
« on: April 02, 2008, 01:03:06 PM »
Has anyone ever successfully replaced the pots with hall effect sensors in their CH Products Fighterstick USB, or CH Pro Rudder Pedals?
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline CptA

• Copper Member
Re: Hall Effect Sensors
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 02:37:15 PM »
Why bother? I mean, what is there really to gain?

It's not like we're talking about the troublesome and unreliable Thrustmaster HOTAS system.

I retired my gameport versions of the F-16 FS, Pro Throttle, and Pro Pedals, after 8+ years of flawless service, then switched to the USB versions of the same sticks and have had another 4 years of trouble-free use since.

Replacement Pots are cheaply and easily available direct from CH, or contact them for quick and reliable factory repairs or exchange under warranty.

Opening the case to attempt to swap out pots for hall sensors will void the warranty at best, and may end up not providing any measurable or noticable improvement in performance...and certainly won't improve anyones flying abilities.

Good Luck!

CptA

Offline lengro

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 02:59:05 PM »
Why bother? I mean, what is there really to gain?

I just replaced pots in my CH Fighterstick which is 16 months old - over the last months it had developed a small dead area on both x and y axis.

Would be nice with Hall effect sensors as they are supposed to stay completely precise forever.
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!" Tuco - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 04:05:23 PM »
Total waste of time and money.   Hall sensors do not give you any advantage over pots.  In fact, you actually lose a little resolution around the end points as they have trouble getting exactly to the 0v and 5v levels.
The Hay Street Boys

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 09:25:56 PM »
Don't know about CH gear but they work great on all my TM Cougar gear. I had a pot die on my throttle first and then my rudder pedals got a HS upgrade and last but not least my stick. That is all since I still haven't put in the gimbal mod though. Anyway for me hall sensors were a tremendous change over everything I have had in both TM and CH gear over the years. Best money I have spent in a long time.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 03:33:59 AM »
Total waste of time and money.   Hall sensors do not give you any advantage over pots.

Not true. I wish like hell the rudder in the X-52 were a hall sensor. Before moneyguy sent me his stick portion, my rudder was dead from 0-30% to the left and spiked all the way to the right.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 06:31:13 AM »
Fine.  Whatever makes you happy
The Hay Street Boys

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 07:05:58 AM »
Homeboy knows his stuff. :)
BUT there are POTS and there are posPOTS. A bad cheap nasty pot will go down on you quicker than a.... nevermind, but the same goes for Hall Sensors. I may have been lucky, the Halls in my X52 setup have been rock solid and never let me down, others have not been so lucky.
Now Someone may pipe up with an aviation reference, remember that although aviation grade FBW setups use either peizeo-electrics or hall sensors, these are of the quality you'll probably never see in a desktop application.
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 11:08:39 AM »
Bohdi,

I don't know what the type/manufacturer of Hall Sensors are in the kits that have been for sale to mod TM Cougars but you might want to just take a gander at what a guy going by Cubpilot over on Cougar World forums sells. I know he spent a ton of time researching and locating the right types of HS gear.
Buckshot
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 11:58:59 AM »
I have both of the controls bodhi asked about. I replaced my CH pedals after about ten years. Its been so long I dont know exactly the year but I know the ch pedals had just come out in usb and I just did replace them. I dont expect to ever change the fighter stick out since AH doesnt cause me to wear on the stick like previous sims have. Cant imagine a reason to need hall sensors except bragging rights.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 11:27:17 PM »
I use my controllers for a variety of different games.

I do not like replacing the pots every 8 mos to a year.  It is rediculous.  Right now, the rudder is spiking badly, and I just replaced those pots about 8 mos ago.

I have tried the hall sensors in the TM stuff and was very impressed with the precise actions.  I am going to figure out how to do it on the CH stuff...  just a matter of time.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 01:56:21 PM »
You have USB CH devices with spiking pots that require replacement every eight-twelve months?  That's remarkable.  I have owned/repaired/modified many USB based CH controllers over the last five or six years and have seen maybe one pot that needed replacement due to wear.  Now the old Gameport stuff used to see lots of pot spiking and oddities because of a far inferior circuit design but USB is an entirely different design and does not rely so heavily on the steadiness of pot quality.  This is the first I've ever heard of this problem in the USB world.
The Hay Street Boys

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 08:07:57 PM »
Sometimes people just get bad gear no matter who made it. All flight sim gear makers can do wonderful jobs in making their equipment and all of them can do just as bad when making their equipment.
Buckshot
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"