Author Topic: La5-FN Winter Camo...Sneak Peek  (Read 516 times)

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
La5-FN Winter Camo...Sneak Peek
« on: April 03, 2008, 11:15:46 AM »
Couple of screen shots of a new project...

The elevator lines are too dark and there are more wear marks to be added but here it is...

Belly shot...

Top view

Just thought I would get some opinions on color. I am happy with the blue but the white is driving me nuts. I have tried many shades and havent found any that really appeal to me or what I see in photos/profiles.

Strip(er)

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
Re: La5-FN Winter Camo...Sneak Peek
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 11:43:07 AM »
The white will look better once you've dirtied up a bit.

Was the Ruski winter camo a water-soluable white-wash paint like the German's?

If anything, that blue looks pretty......vibrant... to me, the white looks fine for a start.

I'm no expert on Russian aircraft though, so don't take my criticism too seriously.

Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 11:54:38 AM »
I dont take my own knowledge very seriously!  :rofl

I havent found much about the paint type they used. They only thing I have to go on are a few photos and profiles. It makes sense to use water based paints if they swapped camo twice a year. Being able to wash away paint instead of adding layers or stripping the old paint off. I have to wonder how it would stand up to winter conditions tho. Hot parts and snow would produce water that could potentially wash away the paint.

Strip

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 12:56:34 PM »
You can definately tell when they use wash, if you have any actual photos. I have a picture of a 190 'new' on the front, and the whitewash on the cowlings is VERY weathered. I'll upload a picture of it when I get home. I may have some pictures of some Russian birds in winter camo too, Ill have to check.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 01:31:18 PM »
I dont take my own knowledge very seriously!  :rofl

I havent found much about the paint type they used. They only thing I have to go on are a few photos and profiles. It makes sense to use water based paints if they swapped camo twice a year. Being able to wash away paint instead of adding layers or stripping the old paint off. I have to wonder how it would stand up to winter conditions tho. Hot parts and snow would produce water that could potentially wash away the paint.

Strip

It was quite literally a lime or base white wash applied over the standard  camo. You would almost expect the old camo to be vaguely visible thru the over coat.

La5fn's were varnished ex factory so the light lime wash finish would have washed off and any use thru just a few wet sorties would generate streaks and smudges.

Also the area behind the exhaust heat sheild would dirty up pretty rapidly on a pure white camo but this dirty area would probably retain its smudgy, dirtiy white wash better than other areas where the more "pure" white wash would be washed away. 

Heavy winter coats were frowned upon due to the added weight.
Ludere Vincere