Author Topic: Personal plane numbers  (Read 5569 times)

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
Re: Personal plane numbers
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2008, 10:56:39 PM »
This is WITHOUT QUESTION, the most moronic idea to date.   

Wasnt there a guy how wanted the F86 in the game because he thought it was used in WWII? Or the people that think the YP80 should be in the game? I think this is in the top ten, but not number one.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2008, 11:01:10 PM »
Masher I disagree. Handled PROPERLY it could be nice for immersion (in other words: Numbers where they would be HISTORICALLY not randomly positioned on wings/tail as in the examples) but it's DEFINITELY a low-priority use of bandwidth.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2008, 03:26:52 PM »
Furthermore, if you need a "number on a wing" to let you know who your buddies are, you should be instead working on your SA.   

Sax, this is NOT directed at you.

Again, "NASCAR style numbers" as per the pictures with desecrated skins that took MANY HOURS to create is not efficient, nor productive.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2008, 03:27:59 PM »
Wasnt there a guy how wanted the F86 in the game because he thought it was used in WWII? Or the people that think the YP80 should be in the game? I think this is in the top ten, but not number one.
LMFAO, I forgot about that one and yes, someone was ADAMANT that the Sabre saw combat in WWII.    :rofl
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline spit16nooby

• Copper Member
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2008, 03:03:34 PM »
Well I think It would be ok as long as it is not mandatory, and people who make skins can request that their skin can not have a number on it.

Offline Jiblowey

• Zinc Member
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2008, 03:08:19 PM »
Well I think It would be ok as long as it is not mandatory, and people who make skins can request that their skin can not have a number on it.

That would work.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2008, 03:21:32 PM »
Then you would never see the numbers. No skinner would want that crap on their skin if they had the option.

Offline DPQ5

• Nickel Member
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2008, 05:19:45 PM »
Then you would never see the numbers. No skinner would want that crap on their skin if they had the option.

yep
29th Infantry Division
Darkest Hour Realism Unit
King Company
Sgt. Phillips

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2008, 07:29:03 PM »
You obviously don't appreciate the jobs the skinners do.   You wouldn't get one to "ok" this.   No way in hell. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline spit16nooby

• Copper Member
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2008, 03:07:41 PM »
Well only about half the people in the arena or less that I see use custom skins.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2008, 03:09:23 PM »
Well only about half the people in the arena or less that I see use custom skins.
Do you have them all downloaded? If you don't have a skin that someone is wearing downloaded, it will show the default. I very rarely see default skins, except on La's and P39's since they dont have any custom skins, yet.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2008, 08:07:10 PM »
It's their own fault.   This is NO REASON to allow the skins to be defaced by NASCRAP style numbers.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline CpMorgan

• Zinc Member
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2008, 10:36:31 PM »
What I had in mind origionally was something such as this:

http://www.markstyling.com/F4U.htm

Not a random style marking, but defined in the oringinal skin file so ONLY the digits would be selectable. But it's a moot point from the reactions I've seen here. 

Offline DaddyAck

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2008, 11:47:37 PM »
I like the configurable numbering in IL2.  I fly for 4./JG53 as White 8 + -
It is great, especially with the matmanager that aces artwork puts out.  It really lets you choose from historically placed markings from most nations to aply to in game aircraft.  But in a game like this where the talented peoples that make the wonderfully done skins we have make them after a specific pilots ride and we do not have the option in setup to remove the plane specific markings to then aply a more generically aplied marking scheme.  Basically what I am trying to say is the goofy looking Nascar style numbering is crap, it ruins the skins that these skinners have worked soo hard on.  Furhurmore to generically slap a tail number as an external decal in the propper places would still ruin/not be compatible with skins that are already aplied with the propper decals and markings for the pilot specific ride that they skinned.  IL2 uses a different skinning method so it works there, but it would not be good in here.

(By the way, can y'all skinners do me a huge favor.  Can ya make me a JG.53 skin for a Bf.109? Please)  :aok