Author Topic: Axis and Allies Boardgame  (Read 1473 times)

Offline republic

• Silver Member
Axis and Allies Boardgame
« on: April 04, 2008, 10:17:50 AM »
I know this is the wrong forum, but I can never get any sort of intelligent response from the 'officers club'.  Plus I generally consider the AvA crowd to be more hardcore than the average AH player.

Any of you guys tried to play the Axis and Allies boardgame?  I used to have a group of guys I'd play with, sometimes 12 hour long marathon of TV, pizza, and Axis and Allies.  Course that was in college and now I'm a mortgage paying father.

Just wondering if anyone plays, and what country do you normally play as.  I'm usually Germany...of course.  :)

P-47 pilot

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
Re: Axis and Allies Boardgame
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 10:21:58 AM »
Yes have, no not recently.  Germany.

I do like HOI2 very much. WWII PC strategy game, real time. Hearts of Iron II.
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 10:24:42 AM »
I had that game way back before it had plastic pieces, back when it was cradboard punchouts. I forgot who put it out first before Milton Bradly or who ever the current company is that holds the title. I also played the version you have now, years ago, along with all the old Avalon Hill, and SSI games... Then one day I discovered this on-line Flight sim called Air Warrior in 1994... Haven't played many board games since.  ;)

Yes, my buddies and I used to have a lot fun with that game.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 10:34:43 AM »
all the old Avalon Hill, and SSI games

Now THOSE are wargames.

You must be pretty old.

- oldman

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 10:39:24 AM »
I'm right on your heels, hell I may be older than you. I'll be 50 in September.

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline republic

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 10:41:53 AM »
SSI's Great Naval battles was one of my favorite PC games of all time....  Fighting Steel was great too.
P-47 pilot

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 10:54:12 AM »
SSI's Great Naval battles was one of my favorite PC games of all time....  Fighting Steel was great too.
Yes I agree, I meant SPI, when I said SSI. SPI made the board wargames, SSI made the computer games.
I loved em all.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 11:32:31 AM »
Hehe, I'm not yet 29 but I have axis and allies D-Day.  Fun game.  I don't get to play it very often because most people are like  :huh  You always want to have human infantry shields around those tanks!  That's the key to victory! :lol

I also play lots of chess, learned to play Go but never became good at it, Risk and Settlers of Catan after drunken dinner parties.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 12:10:29 PM »
I know this is the wrong forum, but I can never get any sort of intelligent response from the 'officers club'.  Plus I generally consider the AvA crowd to be more hardcore than the average AH player.

Any of you guys tried to play the Axis and Allies boardgame?  I used to have a group of guys I'd play with, sometimes 12 hour long marathon of TV, pizza, and Axis and Allies.  Course that was in college and now I'm a mortgage paying father.

Just wondering if anyone plays, and what country do you normally play as.  I'm usually Germany...of course.  :)

Spent plenty an hour setting up the board ... playing for hours ... picking up the pieces. I played every side (we randomly drew) ... developed stategies for every side. My favorite pizza was "Taco" (our local PH offered some exotic specialites long before the rest of the PH franchises did).

The first incarnation of it's PC form wasn't bad (wish I still had it). Bought the latest .... gave it away the next day.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 12:12:15 PM by Arlo »

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 01:02:13 PM »
I have always wanted to buy this game. Just never seemed like I could spend the $. Also figured I would not have anyone to play. My son now is old enough and I bet he would enjoy it. Humm his birthday is not far around the corner. ;)

Used to play many book case games from Avalon Hill. Tobruk, Dauntless, Air Force, Sniper, and the WWI version... what was it called? Red Baron?  Many hours in high school and past put into those games. :)

Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline VILKAS

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 01:10:09 PM »
I'm right on your heels, hell I may be older than you. I'll be 50 in September.

Still wet behind Ur ears !    :D....Got 4 children older than U, that make fun of me playing this silly game ( so they say)  :mad:/   Made them try to land 190.....Silly no more ! :rofl/
In few days 78....still have fun in AvA.....whenever Stampf lets me join his group  !!   <S>
Live each day like it's you last, One day you'll get it right"

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 01:19:51 PM »
<S> for being 78 and enjoying computer games!!! god love ya for it!!!   :salute

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 01:21:56 PM »
Still wet behind Ur ears !    :D....Got 4 children older than U, that make fun of me playing this silly game ( so they say)  :mad:/   Made them try to land 190.....Silly no more ! :rofl/
In few days 78....still have fun in AvA.....whenever Stampf lets me join his group  !!   <S>

I wanna be you in thirty-two years.  :salute

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 01:22:50 PM »
I have always wanted to buy this game. Just never seemed like I could spend the $. Also figured I would not have anyone to play. My son now is old enough and I bet he would enjoy it. Humm his birthday is not far around the corner. ;)

Used to play many book case games from Avalon Hill. Tobruk, Dauntless, Air Force, Sniper, and the WWI version... what was it called? Red Baron?  Many hours in high school and past put into those games. :)

Tobruk was one of my favorites DD. :aok

Offline republic

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 01:34:28 PM »
My biggest problem is finding people who want to play...  I REALLY get into it lol

Since I don't have near as much time to devote as I did, if I had people to play with, I'd set the board up and play weekly.  Be awesome to see a game unfold over a few months. Really give you something to strive for.  Lots of time for strategies, diplomacy, and smacktalk.  lol
P-47 pilot