Author Topic: 109 Compression  (Read 876 times)

Offline spit16nooby

• Copper Member
109 Compression
« on: April 09, 2008, 03:11:26 PM »
I have come to like the 109-G2 and the 109K-4 lately and have noticed their compression happens relatively low at 450.  I was wondering what other people do to kind of get around this expecially the K-4 which gets their quite easily.  Also while I'm at it what are the elevator trim buttons so I can use those which I don't right now.

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
Re: 109 Compression
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 03:23:08 PM »
I think the elevator trim buttons are "I" and "K".  These are probably the default ones, but you should check your key assignments in the game just in case.  Also, I think that "J" and "L" are for the rudder trim, and "N" and "M" are for the aileron trim, but again I might be wrong.

I've heard that using your rudder (as in swinging it from side to side) is very good at getting rid of speed.  Be careful not to overuse this, as if you do you'll get that "Please do not move your controls so rapidly" message.  However, I've only ever tried this when coming in for a landing way to fast, and I'm not sure if this will work when you're in compression, as your rudder might be compressed as well.

Hope this helps,

<S>

Yossarian
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline spit16nooby

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 03:27:28 PM »
Thanks :aok Ill try using the rudder to uncompress or I might be able to use it in my dive to keep from going to fast.

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 03:37:09 PM »
Just thinking about it, I would guess that your best bet is to try and use it to prevent yourself from entering compression in the first place.

I've really never noticed whether the rudder compresses (with the ailerons and elevators?) or not, but I would suppose that it does.

<S>

Yossarian
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 03:40:45 PM »
There's "stiff response" and then there's "locked up"

With stiff response you can still control the plane. simply pull the nose up.

With "locked up" trim up to bring the nose up, then pull up once you regain control.

Also note that the 109 dives very well. It can keep up with the best, as long as you remember the trim keys.

If you want to slow down, using the rudder can help. Try using the rudder and the roll. Hit hard left rudder, and this will want to roll you left, so apply right aileron to roll the opposite way. This bleeds more speed than simply rudder alone. Note you might not be able to do this when moving too fast.

Also, reduce throttle to zero. Leave RPM at full. This will create a giant speed brake in front of you (the propellor) that will slow you down.

Offline spit16nooby

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 04:20:04 PM »
How do I leave RPMs up and throttle down. :huh

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 04:26:33 PM »
Reduce throttle, pull the stick back and use the K key to trim up when you're compressed.  Once the nose starts lifting ease up on the stick or you'll black out, then, once it's climbing again re-center the trim tab using the I key.

BTW, aileron trim defaults are M and ,
Rudder trim defaults are J and L
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 04:28:01 PM »
How do I leave RPMs up and throttle down. :huh

RPM is mapped to - and + on your keypad by default.  Throttle is wherever you mapped it to.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 04:53:20 PM »
If you don't mess with RPM it's full all the time.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 07:25:39 PM »
And, if you use it, don't forget to turn combat trim back on after trimming your way out of compression (CTRL-X)
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 08:10:03 PM »

I've heard that using your rudder (as in swinging it from side to side) is very good at getting rid of speed.  Be careful not to overuse this, as if you do you'll get that "Please do not move your controls so rapidly" message. 
Yossarian

You usually only get that message if 1) controls are not properly calibrated in Windows and/or AH 2) incorrect stick scale settings or 3) faulty joystick

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 12:34:36 AM »
Hrm.. he words it "side to side" so maybe we need to make the distinction: Pick a side and floor it. Don't go back and forth, as doing so too fast (even on well calibrated systems) can trigger the "move controls" message.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 02:37:25 AM »
Hrm.. he words it "side to side" so maybe we need to make the distinction: Pick a side and floor it. Don't go back and forth, as doing so too fast (even on well calibrated systems) can trigger the "move controls" message.
The way this slows your airplane down is by putting the side of the fuselage into the oncoming air, dramatically raising your drag.  Swinging side to side would be much less effective than just holding one side down at max as when swinging you would most often not have a maximum sideslip.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Rash

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 02:12:19 PM »

I use one of the buttons on my throttle to switch combat trim on/off.  When I fly k4, i make sure my elevator trim wheel is full up, so when i compress i push the button to turn off combat trim and it starts to pull up.
The UNFORGIVEN

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 10:00:02 PM »
You usually only get that message if 1) controls are not properly calibrated in Windows and/or AH 2) incorrect stick scale settings or 3) faulty joystick

ack-ack
i get if i move my controls really fast, and randomly for a period of time (stick stir, wich i dont do, anyone who has killed me in a fight knows i dont)
MasonZ - In-game ID
=Wings of Terror= - MA Squad
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato