Author Topic: Conclusion (JUGs in Italy)  (Read 455 times)

Offline Tull

• Zinc Member
Conclusion (JUGs in Italy)
« on: April 09, 2008, 07:33:37 PM »
To All,

Tom Brokaw called it the greatest generation. Without question millions of Americans deployed worldwide to fight a war against political tyranny.  We look toward their collective efforts and sacrifices which preserved the free world.  Due to the passage of time their ranks grow smaller.  With the passing of each one of them the world is diminishes just a little bit more.  They were heroes, each and everyone.  I want to express special thanks to LT Harold B Hall for taking the time in 1945 to search out my family and tell them what happened to his friend and Wingman.  Lt Hall is still alive today in Kansas at the age of 87.  My cousin William located him and spoke to him on the phone.  His memories today are as clear and detailed as they were in 1945.  The nation will lose another hero when he passes.

This project started for me a week ago with a curiosity of Jimmy’s unit of assignment, the aircraft that he flew and how he died.  Oral family history is subject to loss as the older generation passes.  It was also my wish to capture in writing a narration for my mother on how her double-first cousin was lost in the war.  I also wanted there to be a story in writing for my generation and those that follow in our family.  I am very confident that the narration is the best factual description of what happened on 9 Nov 44.  It is amazing how little pieces of information can lead to big breakthroughs in research.  Dan (“Gruppy35”), you in conjunction with “Megalodon” have provided me with the critical pieces of information to pull the story together. I wish to extend a special thanks to you both.  My mother also wanted me to convey a special thanks to each of the posters in the Thread (JUGs in Italy) who expressed sympathies to the family.  She was very touched by the postings.  She was also amazed at how the internet has made this community so close.   Dan, you and “Megalodon” confirm to me that the spirit of the greatest generation lives on.

I am sure that the spirit of the greatest generation lives on now and will continue with following generations.  This is supported first by a posting by “mbailey” to the ‘JUGs in Italy”.  Sir, because of your intent to tell your 7 year son, Jimmy’s story and those of the other heroes of that war, I feel that the spirit will live on in later generations.  Secondly, the current generation is stepping up to battle religious tyranny worldwide today with as much selflessness as the generation of WWII.  This was personally impressed to me on the last day that I wore my uniform upon the completion of a 28 year career.  It was while attending my son’s graduation from Army Basic, where I watch the newest generation joining the ranks.  Finally it was reinforced by the respect and great assistance from those the posted in the “JUGs in Italy” Thread. 

This is the narration of what happened to Jimmy on 9 Nov.1944 according to all the information that was provided me.  There are other facets to the story that have been provided to me, but I cannot find documentation on them so they are omitted. 

On 9 November 1944, Lt James E Anderson Jr. in a Republic P-47D-28-RE Thunderbolt (ser# 44-19589) was conducting ground support missions with 5 other members of the 86th (The Comanche’s) Fighter Squadron of the 79th Fighter Group, 12th Air Force, to the southeast of Bologna Italy.  His normal Wingman Lt Harold (Horn) Hall was assigned to another strike mission for that day’s operations.  While conducting rocket attacks against a German fortified strongpoint for the 4th British Infantry Division in the vicinity of Forli Italy, the forward support bracket of his rocket tube was destroyed by ground fire.  LT Anderson’s rocket tube became entangled with his ailerons which damaged his wing.  He and his wingman exited the battle area to the southeast toward Rimini.  Over the Adriatic Sea, 8 miles east of Rimini, Lt Anderson was forced to bail out due to the damaged wing.  His wingman orbited Lt Anderson while he parachuted into the sea and observed him climb safely into his emergency rubber raft.  The wingman continued to circle Lt Anderson until a British Albatross (a flying boat) assigned to air-sea rescue arrived on station.  However, the Albatross was unable to land and effect rescue due to heavy German long-range anti-aircraft fire.  A Destroyer was dispatched to rescue Lt Anderson, due to night time operations and limited visibility the Destroyer never found Lt Anderson in his rubber raft.  Lt Anderson’s body was found on the shoreline several days later in the vicinity of Rimini, Italy and recovered.

EPILOGUE: Jimmy’s parents were profoundly heartbroken at his loss and had to be hard pressed to speak of him after the war.  Approximately 1949, Mrs. Margret (Jimmy’s mother) traveled to Jimmy’s grave in Italy.  With the assistance of Mr. Lelo Livi, the Italian representative for Anderson-Clayton Cotton Company, she was able to get Jimmy’s remains shipped back to the U.S.  James Erwin Anderson Jr. now rests in the Anderson family cemetery, Oklahoma City, OK. 

Again my thanks to all and my prayers for a never failing national spirit.

Jaime
"TULL"   

JAMES W GENTRY III
Commander's Operations and Training Assistant (COTA), Mission Support Team #3
ARNG Distributed Battle Simulations Program (DBSP)
General Dynamic Information Technology
jamie.gentry@gdit.com
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 07:39:07 PM by Tull »

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Re: Conclusion (JUGs in Italy)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 09:25:16 PM »
Thanks for posting that about Jimmy.  Glad we could help.  It's the least we could do.

<S>
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 12:02:59 AM »
Photo of James E Anderson Jr, from Tull

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 05:30:24 PM »
 :salute May he rest in peace. :pray Thanks for the conclusion very nice. I was looking all over the web/net trying to figure out how that tube could have fouled his aileron. Now knowing it was damaged by ground fire and how it was positiioned due to that damage makes sense.

Offline Solar10

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 10:49:42 AM »
<S>
~Hells Angels~
Solar10

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 10:55:50 AM »
 :salute
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline avionix

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 03:26:15 PM »
I have been reading your posts on this particular subject.  Brave men like him are the reason we enjoy the liberties we have.  May he rest in peace with all the brave men like him.

treekilr in game.   
"Please. This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who..."

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 03:30:35 PM »
A very handsome yong Lad.  He made the ultimate sacrifice so those who live in Feedom could continue to do so.

I am very lucky.  My father who is 86 years young is also a WWII veteran and is still with us.  He fought in North Africa and landed at Anzio later in the War. I'm sure you've heard or read about the landing and fighting in the Anzio area.  He continued to fight and serve his country in Italy until the War ended.  He was awarded the Bronze Star, Combat Badge and various ribbons indentifying the areas in which he was in battle.

Every day I hear or read of the passing of men and women of their generation.  I am almost certain with their deaths we are losing a plethora of thoughts, ideas, and courage that may go umatched in generations to come.  Most suffered through an economic depression that made in some instances their home lives difficult at best.  And just when things started to brighten they were forced into war.  From reading some of the statistics most enlisted in the armed services.  They enlisted in droves because they felt it was their duty.  Some circumvented Law so they could join the AVG and the Eagle Squadron. They went to Canada before 1941 to enlist.  To most their duty was clear.

They all are missed or will be missed greatly by those of us who knew them, and whether the world knew them or not their absence will be felt.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 03:34:59 PM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 03:31:05 PM »
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA