Author Topic: F6F Fuel Burn  (Read 399 times)

Offline Thing

• Zinc Member
F6F Fuel Burn
« on: April 10, 2008, 02:43:58 AM »

Hello everyone

I was wondering when flying the Hellkat should you burn fuel a certain way (use certain tanks first) or just let the aux burn and then go to the wing tanks.

Thanks

:salute  Thing
"IrishOne I'm gonna kick your fvking ass"

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: F6F Fuel Burn
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 02:04:54 PM »
I fly the Hellcat a lot and I just let auto fuel management do it's thing.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline F6Fraven

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 03:58:53 PM »
When fliying the F6 it is a good idea to bring 75% fuel and a DT. I found that drop tanks really don't effect planes as greatly as most people might think. When switching tanks, I like to burn my aux down to 25% than switch to my drop. Once my drop is out I usually have just about enough time to rtb safely.

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 06:04:09 PM »
Whenever I fly the cat, I just let the auto-manager do its thing, as I haven't noticed a difference, and I would rather worry about the enemies then watching how much fuel I have left in whatever tank I would be on at that time.

donkey
2sBlind

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 06:41:07 PM »
When fliying the F6 it is a good idea to bring 75% fuel and a DT. I found that drop tanks really don't effect planes as greatly as most people might think. When switching tanks, I like to burn my aux down to 25% than switch to my drop. Once my drop is out I usually have just about enough time to rtb safely.

So when do you burn the main tanks?

I think you are wrong about the effect of drop tanks.  Fly the F6F with a full load of ord (or drop tanks), then fly it again with a clean airframe.  It's a completely different animal.  You pay a huge penalty in not only weight, but drag.

The F6F clean with 75% fuel is a sweetheart and still has plenty of range.  At 50% fuel in a clean configuration it's a furballing monster.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.