Author Topic: Looking for a new home  (Read 856 times)

Offline sradel

• Zinc Member
Looking for a new home
« on: April 12, 2008, 01:43:31 PM »
Greetings!

I am looking for a new home. Started out with Air Warrior in the 90’s, but have been flying Fighter Ace for the last few years. But before I decide where to go (AH or Warbirds) I have a couple of questions if someone would be kind enough to answer them.
First I should answer why I am leaving FA. Basically nothing being done to the sim. Engine is 7 years old and there are no announced plans for a 4.0 version. They added a couple of Korean War Jets and some new rooms, but the engine is still very limited for today’s standards.

What I am looking for is as much realism as possible for a sim. I am not looking for the perfect world, but would like to get as much as possible. Listed below are the things I did not like about FA.
1.   Pointer to nearest enemy
2.   Big colored icon above plan to show country and player
3.   Captures way to easy, one bomber could take 3 scenes if he was not opposed.
4.   Very unrealistic radar.
5.   Most rooms had very arcade flight models. The upper level more realistic rooms have very few players.

Now there were things I liked about FA, but pretty much all the old players that enjoyed a bit of realism and non arcade features have pretty much left. There are still some pretty good guys left, but also a bunch of whiners complaining about shoot shooting, bailing, buff sitting, ect.
So a few questions.
1.   I have not seen any mention of carrier operations. Are there capital ships in the game?
2.   What is the average number of players in the historical room/s? I have no interest in all countries with all planes available type of rooms and will not fly in them. I like historical plan sets, preferably with rolling plan sets.
3.   Does AH still use the chess names for countries? I don’t care unless they are also used in the historical arenas.
4.   Updates? Are they actively improving the game?
5.   Do they have a manual, can’t seem to find anything but a quick start guide.

So basically what is your all opinion on the sim compared to FA if possible. I could also use some pointers on what is different in this sim from WarBirds. I am just trying to figure out where to go and I am a member of a squad of a couple of dozen pilots that I may be able to drag along if I can convince them.

Thanks for any input on my questions
Gunfighter

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Re: Looking for a new home
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 01:56:13 PM »
OK,

I you'll need to put a few of your "will/wont" things aside IMO....

AH is the only "ready for primetime" WW2 MMOG right now. Is it what you want, not entirely.

It has carriers, great FM, outstanding player base with the vast majority of the really good stick and regular ongoing enhancements & updates. That being said the only "historical arena" is the AvA which is largey useless and frequented by about the lowest common denominator gameplay wise (with some notable exceptions). The real historical strength is in the snapshots and "FSO" (a historical friday night scenario) and the formal large scale scenarios.

The vast majority of game play is in the 4 "main arenas" which all feature the 3 country all plane set up. 2 late war, one mid and one early war.

The simple reality is that you have a trade off between a good product that offers some of what you want (but not all) and some much "lesser" options. Many of the guys from warbirds who have/had a "historical" bent now fly much more in the main arena's then the AvA do to the very lame game play generally found in the AvA. I'd take advantage of the two week trial for sure, but realistically I'd suggest flying it for a few months. I think you'll find it grows on you. If you do any happen to be flying kight feel free to tune to 171 vox (71 squadron). We have roughly 70 guys and almost always 5-15 guys up in both US and european primetime...happy to help you along  :aok

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 02:45:08 PM »

What I am looking for is as much realism as possible for a sim. I am not looking for the perfect world, but would like to get as much as possible. Listed below are the things I did not like about FA.
2.   Big colored icon above plan to show country and player
3.   Captures way to easy, one bomber could take 3 scenes if he was not opposed.
4.   Very unrealistic radar.
5.   Most rooms had very arcade flight models. The upper level more realistic rooms have very few players.

Radar can be flown under, it can be destroyed . in scenario's we can adjust it more realistically.
icons you can adjust the size , they are 6k in the main arena's , set at 1/2 that in special events.
have to destroy the town ,its guns, and get 10 troops into maproom.
Flight model is the same in ALL ARENA'S with the only user limit of a stall limiter (if its turned on)

Now there were things I liked about FA, but pretty much all the old players that enjoyed a bit of realism and non arcade features have pretty much left. There are still some pretty good guys left, but also a bunch of whiners complaining about shoot shooting, bailing, buff sitting, ect.
So a few questions.
1.   I have not seen any mention of carrier operations. Are there capital ships in the game?
2.   What is the average number of players in the historical room/s? I have no interest in all countries with all planes available type of rooms and will not fly in them. I like historical plan sets, preferably with rolling plan sets.
3.   Does AH still use the chess names for countries? I don’t care unless they are also used in the historical arenas.
4.   Updates? Are they actively improving the game?
5.   Do they have a manual, can’t seem to find anything but a quick start guide.

yes there are plenty of carrier's .
player numbers vary in the mains as per time of day 200- 900 avg. scenario's draw from 50- 500 players depending on what it is.
chess players ...yes. I'm not going to explain that at this time.
updates ..hell yes . we just got one last week.
these links will get ya going.
http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/
http://www.netaces.org/
http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm

So basically what is your all opinion on the sim compared to FA if possible. I could also use some pointers on what is different in this sim from WarBirds. I am just trying to figure out where to go and I am a member of a squad of a couple of dozen pilots that I may be able to drag along if I can convince them.

Every one has pretty much migrated from those other sims to here. WB is doing the same as FA "No updates"

Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 02:45:53 PM »
2.   Big colored icon above plan to show country and player Small colored icon shows plane type and distance within 6000 yards
3.   Captures way to easy, one bomber could take 3 scenes if he was not opposed. No
4.   Very unrealistic radar. No... pretty realistic
5.   Most rooms had very arcade flight models. The upper level more realistic rooms have very few players. All arenas are full realism

1.   I have not seen any mention of carrier operations. Are there capital ships in the game? Yes
2.   What is the average number of players in the historical room/s? I have no interest in all countries with all planes available type of rooms and will not fly in them. I like historical plan sets, preferably with rolling plan sets.Ranges from 7 in early war off-peak to ~800 in late war on Tuesdays when there's only 1 late war arena.  Usually fom 200-400
3.   Does AH still use the chess names for countries? I don’t care unless they are also used in the historical arenas. Yes
4.   Updates? Are they actively improving the game? Yes... see the homepage
5.   Do they have a manual, can’t seem to find anything but a quick start guide. on a link at the top of the home page
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 03:49:57 PM »
This game is free for off line play and has a two week free trial of the on line arenas.  Just download it and try it out.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 03:54:48 PM »
Firstly google "dale addink".  That will tell you about the designer/owner of AH.  It'll put your mind to rest as far as development.  In 2 weeks* you'll see the release of Combat tour.  Read combat tour forum and the home page link.  This is what your looking for when it comes out.  The Axis V Ally arena is the closest thing AH has to offer at the moment.  Scenarios and other events based on historical setup's are frequently posted.

You can use easy or realism flight modes in all arenas at the same time.  Stall limiter is on by default when your arrive on your first day.  Just turn it off ASAP and it'll stay off for good in every plane.  Combat trim is on by default.  There is an option to turn it off for good or you could make a "stick set".  Program your stick with all trims and combat trim off.

I've never used your game so can't comment but I did use Warbirds and can tell you flat straight Aces High is better with a much larger player base.  That in itself tells you something.

Please be sure to read Roscoroo's links.  The Top Secret help files are found on the home page in a drop down + info on Combat tour.

2 weeks free mate. :aok  Use it to get a feel of the planes.  Make a few contacts in the main arenas (most populated) and check out the events themselves or read up in it's forum.

* Standing joke but in "off line" play.  You can get a taste of things to come with the off line mission.  Which incidentally was part of an update from just over 2 week ago... no joke this time.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 03:57:50 PM by LYNX »

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 05:05:54 PM »
Welcome.  Hope you get a feel for the game and decide to stay and have fun! :aok

donkey
2sBlind

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 05:21:19 PM »
Sradel, what was your CPID in AW?  Mine was #Dogg.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline 2fly

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 05:49:07 PM »
I have not tried FA but I can say that AH2 is light years better than warbirds.

The radar is reasonable and there is no HUD type radar with a big arrow pointing the way.
The flight models are well done.  No sim really makes an accurate flight model per se.  However the differances between the aircraft are very well modeled.

The AvA (Axis vs Allies) arena has recently been gaining in popularity and attendance. The nubers are still low with peak periods getting up to 50ish.  The main areans are in the 200-500 each range.

Snap shots and FSO sound right up your alley. 

Base caps vs vehicle bases when unopposed are very easy and can be accomplished with only 1-2 players.  Airfields are a good bit harder. 

Updates are frequent and meaningfull. 

Defintely come give it a try for the trial period and get your guys to as well.  I dont think you will be dissapointed and if you are then you havnt lost anything by trying it.

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 06:13:00 PM »
Firstly google "dale addink". 

I did that and apparently hitech who first coined the phrase: massively multiplayer :)

Any info on that hitech?
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline sradel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 06:53:25 PM »
Sradel, what was your CPID in AW?  Mine was #Dogg.

With the risk of sounding like an idiot, I really dont remember. I am sure it was a variation of Gunfighter though, I have been using that call sign since I was a Tank Commander in the early 80's.

Sorry guys if i can off a little demanding, didnt intend on it. I typed up that message in about 3 minutes on the way out the door to go see Street kings. The wish list is my personal preferences, but I have no ilusions that I will find them all in one online sim. Just looking for the best fit.

thanks for every ones response and I will give it a try.

Offline Brocster

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008, 06:58:16 PM »
Sradel,

This is, in my mind, the best sim out there for combat type play.  There are tons of players, but more importantly, there is a great modeling of aircraft and vehicules.  Granted, one can say they are not perfect (only if you want to be extra picky), however, the tactics you need to fly these planes successfully in this game are similar to what we have read about them in historical references.

There are great people here, as well as the weenies, but for the most part, a very enjoyable group.  I would suggest you understand that there will be a learning curve.  People who come to this game from other sims underestimate the need to fly the aircraft acurrately---hence what AH is great for!

Have fun.... and welcome to airplane crack.

:)

Dodging the wife ack on my 6 at all times

- - When my two year old pulls the joystick cable out, can I get my own proxie kill?  - -

Flying as CrzeMonk in the MA

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2008, 08:33:55 PM »
I could also use some pointers on what is different in this sim from WarBirds. I am just trying to figure out where to go and I am a member of a squad of a couple of dozen pilots that I may be able to drag along if I can convince them.

Thanks for any input on my questions
Gunfighter

As the owner of Aces High once said re:Warbirds vs. AcesHigh, and I paraphrase here....
"I created them both.  AcesHigh is better"
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2008, 09:27:28 PM »
When AW was killed, I tried Fighter Ace, Warbirds, and Aces High.

FA was full of arcade type play, the flight model was terrible, and the community was worst. Asking questions in there got you either trash answers, or no comment at all, not very helpful.

Warbirds while better, was in trouble management wise and a lot of things were promised. Community was better, but numbers were much lower than I was use to in AW, fights harder to come by. WB at this time is loosing players by the truck loads due to lack of the promises being for filled.

AH on the other hand inherited a good number of people from AW which basically brought the community with them. Hitech  continually updates the game with two major releases a year (or there abouts), and has been building a new game called Combat tour where you will creat a player and through  filling mission objectives will rise in rank through the war. AH has a big learning curve, but a lot of great sticks that will take the time to work with your to help you along (all volunteers by the way).

Aces High is by far the best of the bunch, but its your choice.

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008, 09:42:35 PM »
Sradel, welcome to Aces High.

Easy answer.  Far more WBs guys are migrating here than are leaving to go there.

Try it out, use the training arena regardless of how much experience you have in other flight sims.  It is worth the afternoon of practice to familiarize yourself with the flight model and controls.  Then, use the rest of the 2 weeks to see why this game is growing by leaps and bounds while the others are logging in to their arenas to make sure the lights were turned off when the last guy left for the night.

ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.