Author Topic: Get Rid Of Auto- Auto Pilot  (Read 909 times)

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
Get Rid Of Auto- Auto Pilot
« on: April 14, 2008, 01:52:58 PM »
Don't know if this is the right forum for this, but I'm wondering if anyone else would like to get rid of the automatic shift to auto- pilot in planes with tail guns. It actually took me years to realize they had this feature as I'd often switch to auto- pilot manually when jumping to a tail gun.

Then I started flying the IL2. That's when I noticed I got auto- pilot, whether I wanted it or not, when jumping to the rear gun. I think it pretty much makes the rear gun useless in planes like the IL2 since you can't shoot straight back. Your opponent knows all he has to do is get straight behind you and you can't do anything to hit him.

Unless, of course, you climb or turn and then real quick jump to the rear gun and have no more than a second, if that, to fire at the guy while he's up above the tail or off to the side because of your turn or climb. Once the plane levels out on auto- pilot, you're back to square one with him on your 6 again.

If you didn't have the auto- pilot on, you might be able to fire longer from a turn or climb.

So, my wish is to deactivate the auto shift to auto- pilot on planes like the IL2 and let pilots activate it themselves, if needed. Anyone else?

Offline CartoonFlyer

• Zinc Member
Re: Get Rid Of Auto- Auto Pilot
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 01:57:46 PM »
You can still turn when auto is on and you're in the turret by using the rudder. Works great with the A-20.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 01:59:17 PM »
If you use the rear gun in the Il2 you deserve to die. Its a great turnfighter.

Offline zoozoo

• Silver Member
      • http://myspace.com/zachisbackforasnack
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 02:00:13 PM »
no, not going to sit on my cpu for 5 hrs climbing in bombers without autoclimb. got things to do while  on autoclimb
Zoozoo
Jokers Jokers
zoozoo fighter ace issue one:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,240022.0.html

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 02:04:07 PM »
Maybe I didn't make myself clear: I'm not saying we do away with auto- pilot. I'm saying we get rid of where the plane automatically goes to auto pilot when you leave the cockpit to man the rear gun. If you want auto- pilot you could still use x or Shift/x as we always do. It just doesn't come on automatically.

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 02:05:27 PM »
You can still turn when auto is on and you're in the turret by using the rudder. Works great with the A-20.

I'll give that a try, but it might be a bit tricky when you have a joystick with twisty handle for rudder like some of us do.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 02:06:49 PM »
Again, the rear gun of the Il2 is worthless. Your chances of killing someone with it are just above zero. It is, however, a beast of a turnfighter once you get some flaps out.

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 02:20:12 PM »
I've actually done some good, fun turn fights in an IL2. I don't know that I've shot down anyone with the rear gun but I know I've drawn smoke on a plane or two with it.

I was just up in Axis vs. Allies and got into a turn fight with two Spits with me in a 110. It ended up with both of them behind me and I tried using the little pop gun/ tail gun to try to at least get a few more hits in before they got. The plane leveled off so quickly, no matter how hard a turn or climb I made I didn't have time to aim and fire.

Finally got a couple hits, but no damage, but that was because Bruv119 had changed altitude for a second. If I didn't have auto- pilot on I might have gotten a few more hits in before I got shot down. Not saying I would have shot either of the Spits down, but it would have been nice to get at least one of their engines smoking.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 02:24:39 PM »
I've actually done some good, fun turn fights in an IL2. I don't know that I've shot down anyone with the rear gun but I know I've drawn smoke on a plane or two with it.

I was just up in Axis vs. Allies and got into a turn fight with two Spits with me in a 110. It ended up with both of them behind me and I tried using the little pop gun/ tail gun to try to at least get a few more hits in before they got. The plane leveled off so quickly, no matter how hard a turn or climb I made I didn't have time to aim and fire.

Finally got a couple hits, but no damage, but that was because Bruv119 had changed altitude for a second. If I didn't have auto- pilot on I might have gotten a few more hits in before I got shot down. Not saying I would have shot either of the Spits down, but it would have been nice to get at least one of their engines smoking.
How else would the plane react to you going to the rear gunners position, though? If it didnt, you would have just rolled into the dirt.

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 02:28:47 PM »
How else would the plane react to you going to the rear gunners position, though? If it didnt, you would have just rolled into the dirt.

No. Seems to me I've done stuff before without auto- pilot on. You just go into a climb or turn, switch positions, take care of the other business and get back to the cockpit before the plane stalls or crashes.

I'm know I've done that before in some planes. I could of sworn it was in planes with rear guns. Do any planes not have the auto- auto pilot feature?

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 02:30:03 PM »
No.

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 05:55:15 PM »
Maybe I didn't make myself clear: I'm not saying we do away with auto- pilot. I'm saying we get rid of where the plane automatically goes to auto pilot when you leave the cockpit to man the rear gun. If you want auto- pilot you could still use x or Shift/x as we always do. It just doesn't come on automatically.

No, you made yourself perfectly clear.

donkey
2sBlind

Offline C(Sea)Bass

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 06:07:32 PM »
no, not going to sit on my cpu for 5 hrs climbing in bombers without autoclimb. got things to do while  on autoclimb

zoozoo pwns reading

Offline Halo46

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 06:14:30 PM »

Set your .speed lower a bit and hit auto climb before going into rear turret. then you are climbing and can add left and right turn with rudder. Controlling the rudder input back there just takes a week or two of practice. Otherwise, your plane would auger with no one at the controls. Another option, give a shout out for a gunner to join you.
Used to fly as Halo46, GRHalo, Hobo and Punk at the end.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 07:02:12 PM »
If you use the rear gun in the Il2 you deserve to die. Its a great turnfighter.
It is.
I agree.
zoozoo pwns reading
True!  :rofl
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok