Author Topic: CPU Usage issue with AH2  (Read 535 times)

Offline Spiritwind

• Zinc Member
CPU Usage issue with AH2
« on: April 08, 2008, 09:18:46 PM »
     I've been playing AH2 for about a month now and have recently discovered a problem.  I installed Teamspeak to use with my new squadron and having it and AH2 on dropped my frame rate to nothing.  Upon doing some checking I discovered that as soon as I start the AH2 program my CPU usage jumps from 0-2% to 100%.  I read the thread about improving your internet connection and ran a couple of different virus/spyware programs I have and still doing the same thing.  Later I tried installing AH2 on my wife's computer just to see how it ran there since her computer is much newer and faster than mine.  The same thing happened on her computer.  Her CPU usage jumped from 0-2% to 100%.  I have both computers hooked up to a Linksys router to a cable modem for internet connection.
     If anyone has any ideas or needs more information please let me know.  I have very little computer knowledge so I am lost.  Thanks!

Melias

Offline Wes14

• Gold Member
Re: CPU Usage issue with AH2
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 09:43:25 PM »
AH is very CPU intensive. Its normal to see 99-100% CPU usage when running AH.
Warning! The above post may induce: nausea, confusion, headaches, explosive diarrhea, anger, vomiting, and whining. Also this post may not make any sense, or may lead to the hijack of the thread.

-Regards,
Wes14

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 11:42:02 PM »
10% is normal and generally a good thing when running AH. If I remember right, there's something in AH that expands the amount of calculations if the CPU becomes free...I honestly don't know if I made that up, though. :D
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 06:12:45 AM »
And the question that presents itself to me is, why install TS when squad channel in AH works just as well? You're just adding to the number of processes running which is counter productive when running a graphics/cpu intensive game. This is especially true for the person acting as the server (if you don't lease a TS server somewhere).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 06:15:06 AM by NHawk »
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 06:13:35 AM »
It would be considered a problem if Aces High II was not using 99 to 100 percent of the CPU, as it is shown in the Task Manager.  DirectX is designed to be able to make 100% use of the CPU and other pertinent hardware.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Spiritwind

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 09:12:16 PM »
Thanks to Luttrel we seem to have it figured out.  I hope...
Melias

Offline araiguma

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 10:48:23 PM »
I get a 54% CPU usage even at maximum video settings even with TS turned on.  What sort of video card do you have?  Is it possible that your CPU is working harder to process what your video card can't?

Which brings up another question.  Does anyone else flying at altitudes above 10,000 feet see terrain tiles building out on the horizon close enough (3-4 tiles out) that it is distracting? 

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 09:19:39 PM »
i usualy get that at around 15k as my vid settings stop rendering tiles that far out the horizon will look jagged to your 2,11,5 and7 oclock views. just think that from 10k your horizon can be probably 15-20 miles away from you, a long way to be rendering any detail on a crappy pc like mine.

also if you lower your visual settings shift+f1 f2 f3 f4 it will pull away the rendering far away to show you stuff up close.
try using full vis mode which is f1

if u use short vis shift f3 or ground vis shift f4  you will only be able to see about 5-10 miles away depending on alt.
since my pc is kind of crappy i use medium vis mode all the time unless i gv then i use ground mode.
med view saves my frame rates in normal flight and short vis range can help when i duel.
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V