Author Topic: Warplane obsessions  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Warplane obsessions
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2008, 06:43:02 PM »
What airplane is currently "obsessing you"?

P-38 but i've got a restraining order out on me that prevents me from going within 500ft of one.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline dirt911

• Nickel Member
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2008, 07:34:19 PM »
i get obsessed with every plane in the world sometimes but one thing i dont get is the b25 it was aircraft carrier based because of the doolittle raid on tokyo japan air carrier was to get 400 miles in japans backyard and launch the b25

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2008, 09:55:01 PM »
I'm sure we'll be seeing you in your uber E-4 then  ;)

You named the red-headed stepchild and you know it! :D

Comparing Emil to Gustav-2, G-14, or Kurt, its not even like comparing Spit1 to Spit16, its more like comparing the P-40B to the P-38. On top of their generally respectable engine performances, the 109F makes a smaller turning circle than the Spit9/8/16, and the G-2 doesn't come off too badly. The 109K4 cleanly whips its highspeed rival, the P-51, in this area too. If the 109s had been as good in R/L as they are in AHII, I think the 190 series would have been dismissed as a fool's errand and we'd be speaking German on this forum! :eek:

BTW, I chase down runstangs in a Dora rather than a Kurt for two reasons: One, I am a lousy shot, and stand little chance of ever hitting anything with a tater gun. :D Two, and more importantly, one MUST fly a 190 to avoid having an unfair advantage over those dedicated enough to fly that lame excuse for a Mustang we have right now.  :salute all AHII Pony pilots.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2008, 11:42:45 PM »
If the 109s had been as good in R/L as they are in AHII, I think the 190 series would have been dismissed as a fool's errand and we'd be speaking German on this forum! :eek:

If the Nazis had F-15s in WWII that still wouldn't have happened because Hitler would have made them all photo reconnisance. The only way the Nazis would have won was to remove Hitler, but if Hitler wasn't there, there wouldn't be a war...

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2008, 12:04:11 AM »
LOL, okay, granted it is difficult to see one land-locked country winning when its leader insists on starting a 3 front war with most of the other major powers on the planet.

But what I say about the 190, it remains true. The 109 is so good in AHII that the vaunted Butcherbird seems like a waste of time in comparison. The AH 109's extremely good turning ability offers something no 190 can touch, and the 190's better controls don't amount to all that much advantage either. The planes that were supposed to historically have high-speed control surface issues don't seem to suffer them in AHII until over ~400IAS, which is mostly waaaaaay too fast for dogfighting anyway. (Its not just the 109s either, when I tested the 110s prior FSO, an aircraft whose elevator purportedly became really stiff at high speeds, I didn't experience any real problems there until over 400. Even the Zeros seem to tolerate speed better than you'd think from historical accounts.)

If the Nazis had F-15s in WWII that still wouldn't have happened because Hitler would have made them all photo reconnisance. The only way the Nazis would have won was to remove Hitler, but if Hitler wasn't there, there wouldn't be a war...

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2008, 01:11:20 AM »
LOL, okay, granted it is difficult to see one land-locked country winning when its leader insists on starting a 3 front war with most of the other major powers on the planet.

But what I say about the 190, it remains true. The 109 is so good in AHII that the vaunted Butcherbird seems like a waste of time in comparison. The AH 109's extremely good turning ability offers something no 190 can touch, and the 190's better controls don't amount to all that much advantage either. The planes that were supposed to historically have high-speed control surface issues don't seem to suffer them in AHII until over ~400IAS, which is mostly waaaaaay too fast for dogfighting anyway. (Its not just the 109s either, when I tested the 110s prior FSO, an aircraft whose elevator purportedly became really stiff at high speeds, I didn't experience any real problems there until over 400. Even the Zeros seem to tolerate speed better than you'd think from historical accounts.)

Actually, I remember reading somewhere one day that the 109's compression point was ~400, at which point the pilot would have to use a hand crank to manually trim elevators.  Evidently, the hand crank was very difficult to move, and required some strength.  It seems to me, based on that, that the 109's are modeled pretty well.

The Butcher Birds in game will dive at almost 600 with no compression.  Only buffeting.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2008, 07:49:50 AM »
Hrmmm? I'm not talking about compression in the 109 here, it just seems like you experience no signifigant reduction in elevator authority or roll rate in the 109 under 400. And this conflicts with some things I have read and the handling traits of the planes portrayed in other flight sims. ALL the aircraft in AHII seem to handle speed better than they are supposed to, the problem being that having better handling at 450mph+ indicated doesn't really cut much hay, because of the conservative black-out limit and because two fighters would have to be power-diving to get the fight that fast anyway.

Our little pixelated pilot in AHII has so much upper-body strength, I think he needs to be tested for PEDs.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2008, 09:29:14 AM »
What happens to the 109 at 400+ IAS isn't compression.

Also - the significance of the Dora's roll rate is often overlooked.  Huge advantage.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2008, 12:00:01 PM »
What happens to the 109 at 400+ IAS isn't compression.

Yes, I realized that after typing it but was too lazy to change it.  Now I'm forced to do even more work to respond.  :mad:  :furious

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2008, 12:47:51 PM »
I will have a constant obsession with the F4U and F6F. The 38 gets in the mix as well when i want to get some fast with a lot of ord.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2008, 06:41:31 PM »
Yes, I realized that after typing it but was too lazy to change it.  Now I'm forced to do even more work to respond.  :mad:  :furious

:D

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2008, 06:52:57 PM »
Hrmmm? I'm not talking about compression in the 109 here, it just seems like you experience no signifigant reduction in elevator authority or roll rate in the 109 under 400. And this conflicts with some things I have read and the handling traits of the planes portrayed in other flight sims. ALL the aircraft in AHII seem to handle speed better than they are supposed to, the problem being that having better handling at 450mph+ indicated doesn't really cut much hay, because of the conservative black-out limit and because two fighters would have to be power-diving to get the fight that fast anyway.

Our little pixelated pilot in AHII has so much upper-body strength, I think he needs to be tested for PEDs.

I agree. Zeke was supposed to be IMPOSSIBLE to turn left at high speed, (I think it was left, might have been right... I dont recall) and so the Navy pilots at the time were advised to dive away to the left and the Zeke could not POSSIBLY follow them. I understand the war department might have overestimated that issue in the Zeke, but I was in a 109G14 last night diving away from 2 A6M2s who started about 5k above me (I don't like 2v1, ESPECIALLY when I have so much less E than them) and I was well over 400 IAS and they were solid right behind me, with no rolling/turning in either direction.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2008, 08:33:05 PM »
I agree. Zeke was supposed to be IMPOSSIBLE to turn left at high speed, (I think it was left, might have been right... I dont recall) and so the Navy pilots at the time were advised to dive away to the left and the Zeke could not POSSIBLY follow them. I understand the war department might have overestimated that issue in the Zeke, but I was in a 109G14 last night diving away from 2 A6M2s who started about 5k above me (I don't like 2v1, ESPECIALLY when I have so much less E than them) and I was well over 400 IAS and they were solid right behind me, with no rolling/turning in either direction.

Same with the Ki-61 in real life but that doesn't seem to happen with the Ki-61 in AH.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2008, 12:42:02 AM »
Zeke was supposed to be IMPOSSIBLE to turn left at high speed, (I think it was left, might have been right... I dont recall)

It is.  Especially the A6M2.  In fact it's worse than that.  At high speed it yaws to one side and takes every bit of aileron and rudder to keep it going straight.  Try one.