Author Topic: mission editor tutorial  (Read 2868 times)

Offline crazierthanu

• Nickel Member
mission editor tutorial
« on: April 20, 2008, 03:38:05 PM »
Ive been looking on the forums for a while now and cant find a tutorial on how to operate the mission editor :furious. If you can can you please put your words into a form a 11 year old could understand?
I dont want to keep asking people to do missions for me and use up there time. People like baumer dont have unlimited time, they have a life too. Thanks in advance for your help.

(Maybe i can start making missions for people too.)

:salute cause im crazierthanu
80th FS "Headhunters"
EhFex in-game.
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
Re: mission editor tutorial
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 05:05:16 PM »
A straight up step-by-stepper would be great.  I myself am getting very frustrated with it.  It seems like the help tutorial is leaving some small but important things out.  I FINALLY got my flight in the air (everything used to freeze up) and now my flight does it's own thing instead of following the flight path.  The first AI mutiny of AH! :eek:
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 05:24:14 PM »
The step-by-step tutorial in the help file is a great tool. Using this is the way that I learned how to make missions. The only things I found that you need to do and the tutorial does not tell you are the following

1) In mission properties you need to enter a number in briefing time I use the number 5. The problems that have been found by not doing this include no meesages from "LEAD" and planes having a mind of their own especially but not restricted to take-off

2) After establishing your waypoints and segments you need open the segment properties for all segments one at a time and click on "Fill segment to end" and then click button "Calculate". This must be done for every segment. Most of us (I think) do this right before testing the mission (clicking "Run Mission"). The problems that have come from not doing this have been planes doing what they want or nothing at all or not even showing up at right bases.

These are the only items that I have noticed that are missing from tutorial (or at least I did not see them when making my first missions). There might be others that someone else could post but these are the ones that I know of cause problems.

If you try and run into problems post your questions and/or problems here and it might even be helpful to post your mission attempt so that we can look at it and maybe determine what you need to change. The tutorial helps considerably and making the offline missions is not really complicated but does take time to adjust to. With the way the editor is laid out you can even just change some of the missions others have posted to amke it your own if you like and this is very easy to do. A small amount of time experimenting can go a long way with the mission editor.

Don't ever be afraid to ask for help.

edit: I did find in the Mission Editor where it says that you need to click the fill segment to end and calculate. That is what I get for not reading things the whole way through before trying them out.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 06:26:46 PM by dkff49 »
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline crazierthanu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 06:05:23 PM »
I would like to ask where i can find this tutorial, and when you downoad the editor does it install too?
80th FS "Headhunters"
EhFex in-game.

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 06:22:11 PM »
Open the Mission Editor. Click Help in pull down menu. Click on contents. Then expand tools. There you will see "Tutorial". Click on this and it open the tutorial. Just follow it step by step at first and then remember to add in the points that I gave above. Yes the tutorial is included with the editor.

Enjoy
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 06:27:27 PM by dkff49 »
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline crazierthanu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 03:19:11 PM »
The editor tutorial sucks. I cant understand a freaking word its saying and it says to do all this stuff without even telling me what it is and how to do it.
Can a player please write one, the HTC one doesnt help at all.
80th FS "Headhunters"
EhFex in-game.

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 06:03:32 PM »
I am working on one for the AHwiki when it gets launched. I'll be glad to share it when I get more of it completed in the next couple of weeks.
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline crazierthanu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 07:17:25 PM »
Thanks Baumer your the best. Its people like you who make ah2 such a great place. :aok
80th FS "Headhunters"
EhFex in-game.

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 07:27:15 PM »
I know that everyone is not the same. But personally I had no issues with the tutorial. The way I did it was opened the editor and then opened tutorial and made both windows small enought that I could see both. Then made a small mission following the tutorial step by step. Took some time but when learning something new it is going to take time. The only issue I had with this first mission was the "fill segment to end" and "calculate" and that was my dumbness because I skipped that part of the tutorial.

Just thought I would put out there the process in which I figured things out. I thought the tutorial worked well for getting the basics down. The more advanced features (to me) are there to be figured out at a later time and when you are more practiced with editor (like Baumer is getting Thanks for your time).

Good Luck
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline crazierthanu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 06:17:45 AM »
Ok ill keep trying its just that some of the wording is tricky, and
it confuses me with the segments and stuff. Ill keep tryin :aok
80th FS "Headhunters"
EhFex in-game.

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 08:28:57 AM »
That is the only attitude that will allow you to learn. I know you can do it. Just take your time. I commend you man. :)
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
      • http://www.71sqn.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 09:39:22 AM »
I too would appreciate a tutorial. There are a few problems ive run into while trying to create a mission that the tutorial doesn't cover. For example, I can only view a small portion of the map. Say I choose BoB04, it will only show me a part of England, not of France or the Channel, which is where I would like my flights to go to. Any ideas? (Yes I am a bit thick when it comes to these things so forgive me if its a really simple answer) Ive tried Insert/Delete/Up/Down all to no avail
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 10:25:11 AM »
you can zoom in and out by holding the shift key and then holding the right mouse button down. then move the mouse up to zoom in or down to zoom out.

Also you can move the map by holding the ctrl key and then holding the right mouse button down. Moving the mouse then moves the map.

<S> Baumer
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 10:29:42 AM »
I have to agree with crazierthanu - the help tutorial isn't very through and is very superficial.  A step-by-step guide with snapshots and explainations would be helpful. 

Being a VISUAL learner - reading doesn't help me.  The help file is great for those who can learn by simply reading a line - but I need visual clues which the Help tutorial doesn't work for a learner like me or other players like crazierthanu.

Does anyone have a little time to make a easy walk-through?
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 02:42:20 PM »
I am working on one for the AHwiki when it gets launched. I'll be glad to share it when I get more of it completed in the next couple of weeks.
Roger Baumer. <S>
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com