Author Topic: Open Cockpit  (Read 956 times)

Offline xStrato

• Copper Member
Re: Open Cockpit
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 07:24:37 AM »
You can't drop your gear or flaps if you are going to fast, so they could probably do this with the cockpit. I never thought about opening the cockpit when I have oil on my windshield. That would be great to at least have a little bit of  visiblity afterwards. Bailing out during WWII meant you had to open your cockpit first (except for the ones with the explosive charges set) so this would help the realism.  :rock

Offline hyster

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2008, 06:53:04 AM »
Ya, and when you're up at 15K and someone shoots a hole in your canopy it causes explosive decompression!

the only plane i remember hearing about that was pressurized was the B-29. no cabin pressure no explosive decompression.
would be funny though your in the middle of a dog fight, then next sec ur falling 15k wondering WTF happened!!!!!!

i also remember reading that if the canopy jammed the pilot tried to shoot holes then punch through and climb through the hole.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 06:54:48 AM »
That would be tough in a plane with a birdcage canopy like a 109, early Jugs, Ponies or Corsairs, or an F6F.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2008, 09:18:03 AM »
I cant tell you how many times ive bailed out by accident with a bunch of kills or at the begining of a mission. It would be alot harder to do that if you had to open the cockpit first. I give it a thumbs up  :aok
I changed my eject button from ENTER three times to CTRL-ENTER three times a long, long time ago to stop this.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2008, 04:05:57 PM »
I changed my eject button from ENTER three times to CTRL-ENTER three times a long, long time ago to stop this.
DOH!! I shoulda followed your lead... a long, long time ago. :(
Thx Karnak.
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline Rogue9Volt

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2008, 04:12:12 PM »
Ya, and when you're up at 15K and someone shoots a hole in your canopy it causes explosive diarrhea!

:aok  :D
InGame:  SW9volt

-Born To Lose, Live To Win-
Recruiting Officer,125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline nickf620

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2008, 05:55:49 PM »
Yeah... instead you'd just eject into the canopy glass, bonk your head, knock yourself out and crash  :rofl

(insert picture of goose dying here)
Since tour 75

Offline SuperbKi11er

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2008, 05:56:44 PM »
id like to see at least one or maybe 2 open cockpit ww2 fighters available. the russians, poles, and germans used them

U forgot the swordfirsh >:(
LONG LIVE THE KNIGHTHOOD.
WE SHALL NEVER DIE. "Th knights are no longer doormats" Rox Everyday.