Author Topic: XP 32 bit and 4 gigs of ram  (Read 774 times)

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
XP 32 bit and 4 gigs of ram
« on: April 21, 2008, 12:05:33 PM »
I have a system upgrade arriving this week, new processor, ram and MOBO.. 

I ordered 4gb of ram (2x 2gb sticks)

I understand that in many with 32 bit XP if you install 4gb (or more) of ram, XP will only SHOW that you have 2.5 or 3 GB installed..

my question is will my applications still MAKE USE of the full allotment of ram?

really dont want to switch to a 64bit OS, wayyy too many gadgets going on here, i know I would have a driver issue.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: XP 32 bit and 4 gigs of ram
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 12:30:17 PM »
It will show 3 to 3.5 gigs. I have a similar setup but my memory consumption never goes past 2gb to be honest. Except on OSX leopard which hogs over 3 gigs easy. But XP is much less memory intense.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 01:02:59 PM »
im not worried about windows needing it, no reason it should, im worried about windows keeping other programs such as FSX etc etc from being able to get full use of it.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 02:20:13 PM »
im not worried about windows needing it, no reason it should, im worried about windows keeping other programs such as FSX etc etc from being able to get full use of it.

Unless you install a pure 64-bit version of FSX you're not going to see any more memory playing it on 64-bit OS.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 05:31:07 PM »
there is only one version of FSX that I know of, there isnt a separate 64 bit version

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 05:46:38 PM »
I just installed 4 gigs, 2 x 2gigs, and my xp 32 bit reads 3.25 gigs.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 05:52:07 PM »
exactly,

but my confusion is..

is WINDOWS the only program that cannot use the full allotment..

i.e. lets say windows sees 3.... it uses say 1gb for itself ( i know it doesnt) so that means windows THINKS there is only 2gb left of available.. 

lets say other programs are using up another 500mb..   according to windows I only have 1.5 GB left, when in reality I have 2.5GB of unused ram..

will windows limit my remaining programs to using only the 1.5.. because it only sees 1.5, or will they be able to use the full 2.5

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 06:01:44 PM »
That's over my head Wingnutt. I'm sure some tech junkies will explain that to us.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 06:17:39 PM »
hope so..

I could card less if windows itself can use the full 4 GB, what kind of obscene bloated to hell install would you need going on to do such a thing.

ive noticed on other forums and such that any system analysis software you run, will in fact show the full amount of ram.. the only place it shows up as incorrect is under system info..

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 11:17:12 PM »
I'm not positive on this by any means but simple logic tells me that if the operating system can only see x amount of RAM, then there is only x amount available to the system, including any applications.  This makes even more sense when you think in the context of virtual memory.  It means that memory allocation is limited by the O/S.

I'd be interested to hear what others see in the BIOS boot screen when the system runs a memory test on start-up.  That would tell a lot.

Like I said, I could be 100% wrong on this but if I were betting...
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 11:33:09 PM »
You have exactly as much available from the 4gb as you see as total amount of ram in windows.

A single 32-bit application can utilize 2Gb at any given time at most. That leaves you with 1.25-1.5 Gb for _all the rest_ including OS and background applications.

Mind you, 1.5 gigs is more than most desktop computers ever have running XP. Many gamers run with 1Gb just fine.

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 11:49:16 PM »
hmm, guess 64 bit is in my future..

and to think, i actually paided for XP    :O

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 08:18:05 AM »
hmm, guess 64 bit is in my future..

and to think, i actually paided for XP    :O

Untill you have your first native 64-bit application or game, you have zero need for any 64-bit OS.

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 11:54:29 AM »
gaining an extra gig of ram.. that I paid for is reason enough.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 12:18:46 PM »
gaining an extra gig of ram.. that I paid for is reason enough.

No. First of all you won't be able to use it practically anywhere if at all. No game you run will use one bit more of memory. No other 32-bit app will use more memory. Second you will get a world of trouble with 64-bit drivers and application compatibility for nothing. Last, going to 64-bit will bloat all the code put into it so that you end up losing that 1 gig anyway - it'll get eaten by the fatter codebase.

It's a rotten deal, trust me.