Author Topic: Top 10 aces of aces?  (Read 11293 times)

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Re: Top 10 aces of aces?
« Reply #180 on: April 26, 2008, 08:58:39 PM »
So true.
Not only that, I don't ever recall Drex whining when you shot him down. Nor insisting you fly a certain way. Or getting muted on 200. Or insulting people. He is a class act.

They both were.  Years ago, I used to go to the DA with Levi a lot.  He was always a class act as well.  Perfectly willing to critique, providing the student was willing to listen.  Before I went on my 2 year AH vacation, and by the end of his little classroom sessions, the two of us used to split results almost 50/50, which either means that he A.) got tired of me asking to go to the DA and wanted to me to think that I was good enough to spread my own virtual wings or B.) He's a damned good teacher.  Probably a little of both with some emphasis on A.  ;)

I remember way back, though... who was it he used to fly with as a wingman constantly?  Honcho or Honch, maybe?  I know it began with an H.  The two of them were unstoppable in a furball.  Could have been 10v2 on the deck with no E and they'd still wax 8 of bad guys before the inevitable 51 or 190 showed up at just the right angle, speed and position to get hits.

Offline Sketch

• Silver Member
      • http://www.arabian-knights.org
« Reply #181 on: April 27, 2008, 10:40:24 AM »
...he was having to save other AK's from me...

Yeah, okay....  :rolleyes:
~Sketch~//~Arabian Knights~
Sketch's Gunsight Collection 2008
Sketchworks Arabian Knights Soundpack
~Oderint Dum Metuant~

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #182 on: April 27, 2008, 02:35:14 PM »
I'm pretty sure his answer to me asking why he picked me was saving squaddies.  So, yes it is correct.   :salute
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Sketch

• Silver Member
« Reply #183 on: April 27, 2008, 04:04:34 PM »
I'm pretty sure his answer to me asking why he picked me was saving squaddies.  So, yes it is correct.   :salute
Never asked for his help.... He helps without asking, thus being a team player.  And if it was helping us, it was probably a numbers issue, kind of like the horde we attract.  Oh well, as you were... <S>
~Oderint Dum Metuant~

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
« Reply #184 on: April 27, 2008, 04:15:15 PM »
Sketch is correct.  U had #'s on your side when I first logged in.  I jumped in when I saw 4 on 1, 1 being my squady.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #185 on: April 27, 2008, 04:34:07 PM »
Not quite how I remember it but you can believe what you want.  I wouldn't complain of a pick in a furball, I think he interupted a 1v1 I was winning.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #186 on: April 27, 2008, 06:43:16 PM »
No Guppy. KOTH doesn't systematicaly show who is best at dogfighting. It shows who is best at free-for-all furball dynamics, which favors 'dishonorable' things like cherrypicking.

I don't think being the best cartoon pilot is miserable.  It hinges on the same tactical sense as you need to have and follow to successfuly come out on top of a street fistfight.  It only strays from real dogfighting in situations like KOTH where cherrypicking, rather than the best effective 1:1 effort, is rewarded.
A: I don't believe the thread title specified the best "dueler" of Aces High.
B: Being great 1v1 isn't all that impressive if they don't know how manage SA in a multiple threat environment in the context of "Aces High"
C: Dan mentioned the reigning KoTH ToC champ.  Which by the way, only takes place once a year, and you have to earn an invitation to participate in it.  So to follow up with your comments, I'd like to know which of the ToC (flyboy, myself, blukitty, kappa) winners do not belong on a 'list'?
D: Here's a KoTH film that I posted last year, please point out the 'dishonorable' fighting of the round winner :) 

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
« Reply #187 on: April 27, 2008, 07:11:59 PM »
B: Being great 1v1 isn't all that impressive if they don't know how manage SA in a multiple threat environment in the context of "Aces High"
C: Dan mentioned the reigning KoTH ToC champ.  Which by the way, only takes place once a year, and you have to earn an invitation to participate in it.  So to follow up with your comments, I'd like to know which of the ToC (flyboy, myself, blukitty, kappa) winners do not belong on a 'list'?
D: Here's a KoTH film that I posted last year, please point out the 'dishonorable' fighting of the round winner :) 

Please dont take this the wrong way murdr, but honestly to say winning a Koth amounts to skill is complete fiction. There are many ways to skirt fights, cherry pick, ho etc your way to the end of a round. Im not making a comment on your film as you did act with tact in those fights, but when someone flies in to a 1 on 1 with an excess advantage only to ho one of the other pilots, I dont care how much sa you have you cant always avoid someone when they want to be the 1337 Koth winner.
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline Sketch

• Silver Member
« Reply #188 on: April 27, 2008, 07:21:34 PM »
Not quite how I remember it but you can believe what you want.  I wouldn't complain of a pick in a furball, I think he interupted a 1v1 I was winning.
SA
~Oderint Dum Metuant~

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #189 on: April 27, 2008, 07:37:29 PM »
I was the best once, then I got bored of beating up on all you poor saps and stopped caring. I do miss hearing skycrock cry after repeated beat downs though.
:rolleyes:  You may have had your day with me or so, but no need in posting the reality, huh?

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #190 on: April 27, 2008, 07:39:29 PM »

I believe the KOTH winner has to have skills, but I've seen winners that were marginal at best.

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
« Reply #191 on: April 27, 2008, 07:53:33 PM »
Please dont take this the wrong way murdr, but honestly to say winning a Koth amounts to skill is complete fiction. There are many ways to skirt fights, cherry pick, ho etc your way to the end of a round. Im not making a comment on your film as you did act with tact in those fights, but when someone flies in to a 1 on 1 with an excess advantage only to ho one of the other pilots, I dont care how much sa you have you cant always avoid someone when they want to be the 1337 Koth winner.

Well I am going to take that the wrong way.  As a KOTH CM and player, U have to have skillz to win the event.  When engaged with a 1 vs 1 and u see another coming in (SA) plan your evasive when he arrives.  If u don't see him, then I guess U need better SA.  When u the Wabbit in the event, U become a big target and usually have 3 on 1.  Some can win that, others can't.  There are the occasions where someone will less skill wins the event and reason for that is the others concentrate on the bigest threat and forget about the less threat.  That person ends up in a 1 vs 1 fights and probably wins it.  I have seen it happen, but not often.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #192 on: April 27, 2008, 08:08:33 PM »
I could be mistaken, but I dont recall seeing you at any of the 4 ToCs?

Offline DEAR98

• Copper Member
« Reply #193 on: April 27, 2008, 08:22:38 PM »
1.HTC
2.Trainers
Don't shoot a "deer" they may shoot back.
The String is stronger than steal.

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
« Reply #194 on: April 27, 2008, 08:26:40 PM »
I could be mistaken, but I dont recall seeing you at any of the 4 ToCs?
Im not making a commentary on the TOCs as more about koth in general which i have attended numerous times.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 08:28:26 PM by evenhaim »
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.