Author Topic: Top 10 aces of aces?  (Read 11309 times)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Re: Top 10 aces of aces?
« Reply #195 on: April 27, 2008, 08:27:15 PM »
I tend to stay out of these threads...

From its most simplistic point WW is right on....I think those two have set an almost impossibily high standard over a long eriod of time.

However,

Going beyond that the only real barometer over time is KOTH...

While turnout varies month in and month out you have consistant baseline of "Talent". Winning a single round is a considerable acomplishment a person can be proud of. To go beyond that and become a "rabbit" basically puts a target on your back and "amps up" the pressure. To actually win a KOTH event is no small feat and by itself signifies a pilot who can win repeatedly vs quality opponents on a level playing field. To be a multiple KOTH event winner speaks to a level of consistancy few achieve and to win the TOC speaks volumes...

IMO if you really want an answer of who's "best" look for both a KOTH TOC and 1 or more event wins over all 4 years.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #196 on: April 27, 2008, 08:29:16 PM »
Again, in plain English (I hope).  Dan gave the example of the reigning 2007 KoTH Champ.  That example was discounted out of hand because someone was at a few KoTHs, and witnessed someone winning who by skill level probably should not have won (a round? the event?).  Therefore from what I gather, the Invitation only championship event that happens once a year is equally as lame?  I asked for someone to back that up?  All I see is, more "oh well the cherry picker won the run of the mill monthly event this one time".

Which part of this conversation am I not being clear on?

You want to bash a special event, I expect you to back your BS up.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #197 on: April 27, 2008, 08:30:57 PM »
A: I don't believe the thread title specified the best "dueler" of Aces High.
B: Being great 1v1 isn't all that impressive if they don't know how manage SA in a multiple threat environment in the context of "Aces High"
C: Dan mentioned the reigning KoTH ToC champ.  Which by the way, only takes place once a year, and you have to earn an invitation to participate in it.  So to follow up with your comments, I'd like to know which of the ToC (flyboy, myself, blukitty, kappa) winners do not belong on a 'list'?
D: Here's a KoTH film that I posted last year, please point out the 'dishonorable' fighting of the round winner :) 

A - no
B - neither, but obviously not what I mean
C - KOTH doesn't happen often enough and isn't anymore an absolute measure of "skill" than 1:1 dueling.  I wouldn't put any winner of KOTH on a top sticks short list just because he won KOTH.
D - Murdr that KOTH had how many players?  It's as good as a 1:1 tournament.  The only difference is attrition by damage.  It doesn't prove anything anyway about 1:1 vs. furballing as measures of skill.

Well I am going to take that the wrong way.  As a KOTH CM and player, U have to have skillz to win the event. 
You don't have to be the best 'skillz' to win KOTH. You do have to have the best skillz to win a 1:1.  Aggregate 1:1 tournament would be a better measure of skills.  KOTH has its novelties, but it has flaws I doubt you guys could fix..
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 08:35:33 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #198 on: April 27, 2008, 08:32:14 PM »
Again, in plain English (I hope).  Dan gave the example of the reigning 2007 KoTH Champ.  That example was discounted out of hand because someone was at a few KoTHs, and witnessed someone winning who by skill level probably should not have won (a round? the event?).  Therefore from what I gather, the Invitation only championship event that happens once a year is equally as lame?  I asked for someone to back that up?  All I see is, more "oh well the cherry picker won the run of the mill monthly event this one time".

Wrong premise and wrong conclusion. I'm surprised you could be this wrong, Murdr. I didn't "dismiss it out of hand", I said it was such as I said for reasons I explained.
In italics: your interpretation, also wrong.. Don't be ask me to explain things I didn't say.
Aww, 'woe is me, someone's contradicting what I hold true to heart!"  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 08:35:05 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
« Reply #199 on: April 27, 2008, 08:36:14 PM »

I think your getting awfully defensive and i say no reason why, im not bashing an event, neither is anyone here, just clearly stateing in english :rolleyes: that your winner from a koth isnt automatically ZOMG THE BEST EVER. I dont believe i used the term lame either. But whatever you want after all your the only one whos opinion counts, right?
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #200 on: April 27, 2008, 08:39:31 PM »

I think ToC is a good barometer of talent, but people do get invitations that are marginal skill.  On average, though, it is usually the better pilots in there.  Winning KOTH or ToC has muchto do with talent and also having things "go your way" that day doesn't hurt either.  There are those who do very well in KOTH regularly, and that says alot.  I would say that the 4 ToC winners are some of the best sticks in the game. :aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #201 on: April 27, 2008, 08:46:51 PM »
Again, in English....
Who has recieved a plaque from HTC for KoTH that has mediocre skills?

Im waiting?

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #202 on: April 27, 2008, 08:48:30 PM »
Again, in English....

Im waiting?
You have one right? :devil

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #203 on: April 27, 2008, 08:50:47 PM »
No Guppy. Any of the top boxing athletes are having a lot of fun.  Not all of them will score the champion's belt.
OK

Then Kappa must be the best pilot in Aces High since he won KoTH  :)

Not all of us have the time, energy or desire to be the bestest cartoon pilot.  I did that once back in airwarrior and I found it the most miserable time of my online flight sim 'career'. 

I figure now I can give most anyone a decent fight, but I'm not worried about it.  It's more fun for me that way.

No Guppy. KOTH doesn't systematicaly show who is best at dogfighting. It shows who is best at free-for-all furball dynamics, which favors 'dishonorable' things like cherrypicking.

I don't think being the best cartoon pilot is miserable.  It hinges on the same tactical sense as you need to have and follow to successfuly come out on top of a street fistfight.  It only strays from real dogfighting in situations like KOTH where cherrypicking, rather than the best effective 1:1 effort, is rewarded.
Here it is again m00t, rather than telling me Im wrong, why don't you qualify what you had to say?

If your statement was not as I interpreted it, then say so.  Otherwise answer my question.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 08:52:53 PM by Murdr »

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #204 on: April 27, 2008, 08:54:54 PM »
OMG quick look over there you guys it's charlie sheen humping a polar bear!!  :eek:

*smack* *smack* *sm-smack*sma-ksma-ksmaack**boot to the head*

now all of u stfu
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #205 on: April 27, 2008, 08:56:23 PM »
Batfink!  <S>
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #206 on: April 27, 2008, 08:57:03 PM »
something no one has mentioned,   

to be a great stick, takes more than being able to judge E,  more than great SA, more than knowing your planes ability at all alts,  you can have all this but if you are missing one crucial element, you wont be great, GUNNERY,  this is the most important of all,  cuz if you cant kill the nme when needed you are history!!
 my GUNNERY sux  :cry :cry :cry :furious :furious

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #207 on: April 27, 2008, 08:58:11 PM »

Same here Ink.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #208 on: April 27, 2008, 09:01:30 PM »
Again, in English....

Im waiting?
This has what to do with what?

To answer your other question a second time, no you didn't interpret it right.  As for "bashing" KOTH, that's interpreted wrong too.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #209 on: April 27, 2008, 09:07:05 PM »
This has what to do with what?
The big event in KoTH is the TOC. That being the case if KoTH has no bearing on skill, I'd like to know an example of a winner of that TOC event who is not skilled.  If your argument is correct, there should be an example of it.