Author Topic: Top 10 aces of aces?  (Read 11312 times)

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Re: Top 10 aces of aces?
« Reply #225 on: April 27, 2008, 11:49:26 PM »
You've certianly downplayed any relevence it may have on skill from the get go, tacking on words like 'dishonorable'.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #226 on: April 27, 2008, 11:50:22 PM »
Byte me B@tfink.  If I wanted attention I'd be pleanty more vocal.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #227 on: April 27, 2008, 11:51:07 PM »
Bat - What? :lol

Alright I'll try and be as concise as I can:  This thread is talking about "Top 10 aces of aces" of Aces High.  Aces High is an air combat game.. We know it as dogfighting/furballing, and there's a few different ways to fight, which KOTH sort of brings together, but not quite, and that a 1:1 tournament complements and this with less discrepency (no guys organizing hunts on players nor dweeby noobs picking off the "better" players (remember this thread is about "top 10 aces of aces))...
There's also some intangibles like how "classy" someone is, etc.

So it's pretty obvious KOTH isn't the single be-all end-all measure of "skill".  Not only because it doesn't cover everything, but because it has a few flaws.

Much ado about nothing :lol

And yes Murdr, there's some pretty dishonorable things you can do in KOTH, not the least hide as much as the rules allow and/or pick off guys without really earning victory and/or toning down the fight like I did to Lute.
Or sending guys out after players.. Especialy questionable when you're a "CM":

« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 11:53:06 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #228 on: April 27, 2008, 11:53:07 PM »
hehe murdr just trying to lighten the mood, i know you dont have a thin skin.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #229 on: April 27, 2008, 11:57:35 PM »
I've been wanting to use HT's "Byte me" for awhile, thx for the opportunity :)

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #230 on: April 28, 2008, 12:08:13 AM »
Bat - What? :lol

Alright I'll try and be as concise as I can:  This thread is talking about "Top 10 aces of aces" of Aces High.  Aces High is an air combat game.. We know it as dogfighting/furballing, and there's a few different ways to fight, which KOTH sort of brings together, but not quite, and that a 1:1 tournament complements and this with less discrepency (no guys organizing hunts on players nor dweeby noobs picking off the "better" players (remember this thread is about "top 10 aces of aces))...
There's also some intangibles like how "classy" someone is, etc.

So it's pretty obvious KOTH isn't the single be-all end-all measure of "skill".  Not only because it doesn't cover everything, but because it has a few flaws.

Much ado about nothing :lol

And yes Murdr, there's some pretty dishonorable things you can do in KOTH, not the least hide as much as the rules allow and/or pick off guys without really earning victory and/or toning down the fight like I did to Lute.
Or sending guys out after players.. Especialy questionable when you're a "CM":
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)
ouch lute...whats up with that dude?
that is so not cool in a lot of ways
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #231 on: April 28, 2008, 12:19:28 AM »
There are a few intangables 1v1 tourneys don't cover.  One is what I mentioned earlier, the guy that mops up 3 or 4 vs 1...Not all 1v1 types are adept at that. 

Another is the whole dynamic of....See if I can explain this properly.  Player A commonly whips Player B.  Player B has something in his techique that outflies Player C.  Player C beats Player A the majority of the time.  Who wins?  Depends on how the bracket shakes out, and who is having a good or bad night.

Another is, you put the guy that thrives in the MA environment but doesn't duel vs The guy that duels religiously, but doesn't do the furball thing much.  Obviously the dueler has the advantage in that format, but is he a better "ace"?  Depends on who you ask. 

Regarding widewings list...  They both figured out and refined some pretty cool techniques (not to mention talent), and were just so far ahead of everyone else at the time.  A couple have come close for short periods since then, but nobody has really stuck out so promenently above the crowd.  All the best sticks (and they know who they are), are so close to each other that one little thing can make the difference on a given day.

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #232 on: April 28, 2008, 12:33:52 AM »
Barbossa is very good.

too good  :noid
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Murdr
« Reply #233 on: April 28, 2008, 12:35:12 AM »
Right.. The only thing wrong with what you said, is that the guy who thrives in the MA but can't fly 1:1 much at all, doesn't get a spot in "Top 10 aces of aces".  And vice versa.

Specializing in only one category, you'd have to be litteraly miles and miles above the competition to earn mention in such a top 10.

Barbossa is very good.

too good  :noid
Yep, bleeding blue ichor doesn't count. No top 10 for Barbie.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 12:37:48 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #234 on: April 28, 2008, 12:44:38 AM »
First off I p.m.'d that TO BluKitty.  You gonna tell me you got "issues" with me telling a player their own location?  IIRC kitty was all alone out there and I didn't want him to think nobody noticed.

As far as the second screen shot m00t provided is concerned, it is quite out of context and really without the full text of the convo it isn't even worthy of further discussion.

Bringing in my status as a CM into the picture, well, that again is just silly, and also not  really worthy of further discussion.  I have flown KOTH's for the betterment of the KOTH as opposed to the betterment of my ego for years now.  I quit caring about my 'winning' a looooooong time ago.

Much thanks to m00t for the screen shot showing that your squad does indeed "communicate" with each other on squad channel during King of the Hill.  A very clear violation of the rules btw.

Thanks again m00t.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 01:17:12 AM by WMLute »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #235 on: April 28, 2008, 12:48:05 AM »
Um, did Lute just accuse my squad of cheating when we've only got 1 guy who flies KOTH, to defend himself for doing something that admittedly looks blatantly stupid and/or outside the scope of the rules?
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #236 on: April 28, 2008, 12:50:33 AM »
wow this thread has went to hell fast

went from top 10 aces to rules in koth to calling out squads =/
and this is the very reason i talk smack to you morons...good lord
you are so damn easy to get pissed
or start throwing bs around...w00t

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
« Reply #237 on: April 28, 2008, 12:51:24 AM »
 :noid
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #238 on: April 28, 2008, 01:00:24 AM »

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #239 on: April 28, 2008, 01:14:46 AM »
Um, did Lute just accuse my squad of cheating when we've only got 1 guy who flies KOTH, to defend himself for doing something that admittedly looks blatantly stupid and/or outside the scope of the rules?

FYI if you REALLY think I broke KOTH rules then you can bring it to the attention of fuzeman, AKDogg, or ROC.  I actually remember both those occurance and would be more than happy to provide my take on what was happening at the time.

(edit: sorry hub, I put a B/K where an AOM should have been I guess...  edited the post just now.  y'all look the same to me anyway....   :lol  )

« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 01:18:10 AM by WMLute »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit