Author Topic: Joystick won't stay calibrated  (Read 1029 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Joystick won't stay calibrated
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 07:09:57 PM »
Bring up the advanced window in the  joystick settings page in the game. Click an axis and move your stick then let it center. It should go to a center point and stay there with no bouncing in the blue box. Check each of the axis this way. If you have one thats flaky, you'll see it in the blue boxes.

Skuzz,

[ I know the above post was directed toward sg1221 ]

My stick is not calibrated in windows, my AVG virus scan it shut down when playing.

Rename my settings folder or rename the stick folder?

My major problem is when I go to auto pilot and auto pilot turns off w/o my command.  If I recalibrate it fixes it; But I am constantly having to recalibrate.

I may be off base, but I would think you need to calibrate in windows first, then in the game. I know thats how I do it, and I have the same setup as you Ratt. I have all of mine plugged into a POWERED USB hub, then that is plugged into the computers USB. I calibrate mine once every few months, just to make sure its good, not that I have trouble with it.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 07:21:35 PM »
Look in "Options->Controls->Map Controllers".  Watch the numbers in parantheses next to each axis.  If they are arbitrarily changing while you are not touching the stick, then select the axis, check the "Advanced" option, and up the deadband a little.

Now, put your hand on the stick and hold it as steady as you can.  Watch the numbers again and repeat until the errant inputs are ignored.  A little damping might also cure the issue.  Damping just slows the reaction to stick deflections a little.

In either case, a little goes a long way.  In the Advanced panel are two graphs.  One shows the raw input from the stick. The other shows the input after you make adjustments.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 02:16:38 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 10:16:52 AM »
I had this problem a few months back. Before you increase your deadband find the offending knob or button. If it's one of the rotary knobs turn it down or up and see if the numbers stop jumping. If your not using it for anything leave it set to were it isn't bouncing. I had one knob that was in the middle setting and it was causeing huge problems, stick calibration lost and tons of spikes, once i turned it all the way down and showed a zero in the settings page the problems all went away. :aok
AKsleepy

Offline Halo46

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2008, 11:43:18 AM »
Here is the suggestion I received from Saitek Tech Support when I was having this problem with the X-52. Not sure if it would be the same for the Pro model now that I think about it:

To recalibrate, first unplug the stick.

Go to start/run and type   regedit.

The registry editor will have a list of folders on the left hand side. Go down into the following folders in order.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (CURRENT_USER if on Vista)
System
CurrentControlSet
Control
Media Properties
Private Properties
Direct Input

Inside the Direct Input folder, delete any folder that begins VID_06A3.

Once done, close the editor. Plug the stick back in and move all the axes (including throttle) through their full range of movement 4 times.

Now go to control panel/game controllers/properties to see if everything is ok on the test screen.

Best of luck.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 11:47:14 AM by Halo46 »
Used to fly as Halo46, GRHalo, Hobo and Punk at the end.

Offline CMC Airboss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2008, 01:42:31 PM »
I just purchased the X-52 Pro system on 4-23 and used it with AH that evening.  I had the same wandering calibration between the first and second time using the stick with AH.  I am running XP.  I was glad to see a thread addressing this issue.

Process wise, I installed the stick and latest Saitek drivers (from the website, not the disk).  The calibration was completed several times in Windows to make sure I was getting repeatable results and to learn the effects from using each control. I deleted the old 3-axis setup in windows for the previous TM FLCS+TQS installation. 

AH was started and calibration/setup was performed. I did see the X axis values moving during setup if the stick wasn't carefully centered.  Even the slightest pressure resulting from resting my hand on the control cause changes in the X and Y values - the system appears to be very senstive and precise.

Later that evening, I started AH again and found that all of the airplanes flew with a nose down and left wing low trim.  I didn't attempt another calibration at that time.  Even with that slight control difficulty, I found that the airplanes could be controlled with much more precision than the TM FLCS or Cougar systems.  I noticed this especially on landing and during gunnery.  So far, I really like it but need to get a consistent calibration each time I fly.

I will try the suggested fixes and post the results.

Offline sg1221

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2008, 01:57:27 PM »
Thank's Skuzzy  !
That did it for me , the numbers for the pitch were just barely moving so a very
slight increase in the deadband fixed it .

sg

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2008, 09:53:17 AM »
WTG :aok Funny how the smallest fluctuations in the numbers can translate to a big pain in the rear. :frown:

Offline Sincraft

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2008, 11:02:08 PM »
That happens every time I play. I can be in the same plane all night and every time I up I have to recalibrate.

I have CH Fighter Stick, CH Pro Throttle, & CH Peddles.  I checked to see if the "read only box" was checked and it wasn't.

I'm having alot of problems with CH products.  No matter what I do they are 'off'.  I gave up on the joystick and tossed it in the garbage after going back adn forth with their tech support who swore it was a driver issue.  I would tell them it was NOT and that I followed their instructions, and in return I would get another email with more driver instructions like they just kept recirculating support form letters.  Pretty lame.

I'm gonna ditch my ch pedals soon.  I don't even use them anymore because they too are off no matter how much you calibrate, it defaults to 512 on the low side (not zero!) if I press REAL hard down on them I can get them to go down to zero.  Hey might be this game because in windows it shows as fine...but when you take off it's obvious they are not working.

Same support issues.  Recirculated form letter responses.  I'll never buy another product from them again.

Offline Halo46

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2008, 03:36:04 AM »
I'm having alot of problems with CH products.  No matter what I do they are 'off'.  I gave up on the joystick and tossed it in the garbage after going back adn forth with their tech support who swore it was a driver issue.  I would tell them it was NOT and that I followed their instructions, and in return I would get another email with more driver instructions like they just kept recirculating support form letters.  Pretty lame.

I'm gonna ditch my ch pedals soon.  I don't even use them anymore because they too are off no matter how much you calibrate, it defaults to 512 on the low side (not zero!) if I press REAL hard down on them I can get them to go down to zero.  Hey might be this game because in windows it shows as fine...but when you take off it's obvious they are not working.

Same support issues.  Recirculated form letter responses.  I'll never buy another product from them again.

Mail them to me, I will take em.  :aok :salute
Used to fly as Halo46, GRHalo, Hobo and Punk at the end.