Author Topic: f4u1c vs yak9u em diagrams-attn:badboy  (Read 591 times)

Offline df54

• Copper Member
f4u1c vs yak9u em diagrams-attn:badboy
« on: April 23, 2008, 07:00:22 PM »

sir, if you have an overlay of f4u1c vs yak9u could you post it please
  I get killed by hogs in da and an overlay might help.

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
Re: f4u1c vs yak9u em diagrams-attn:badboy
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 04:21:22 PM »
  sir, if you have an overlay of f4u1c vs yak9u could you post it please
  I get killed by hogs in da and an overlay might help.

df54,

The F4U is a formidable opponent, regardless of what you fly against it. If neither aircraft had flaps, it would be a different story because when both aircraft have the flaps fully retracted, the Yak has the advantage. However, when flaps are employed, the advantage swings to the F4U series. At speeds above corner velocity it can match the Yak, but it can employ flaps at 250mph, so it gains an advantage immediately the speed of the fight drops below corner speed. The Yak can't employ flaps until 170mph, when the F4U will already be turning inside it, and when both aircraft reach full flaps the F4U maintains a significant advantage. The EM diagram below is an overlay for the F4U1D v Yak9U with full flaps:

You will notice that the F4U dominates the fight at low speed. For example, with both aircraft at 150mph, the F4U has an instantaneous turn rate advantage of 8dps, with a significantly smaller turn radius. When both aircraft reach their best sustained turn, the turn rates are almost the same, but the F4U will still be able to turn inside the Yak, and most fights won't get that far.

If you fly the Yak against the F4U in the DA under standard rules you will be flying at a disadvantage, so you will probably only succeed against weaker pilots. You can succeed against the F4U in the MA, but you will need to balance its performance advantage before you engage.

Hope that helps...

Badboy
The Damned (est. 1988)
  • AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 03:17:47 AM »
A good strategy to defeat the F4U in a Yak is to use the weight difference between them. Often I try to turn the F4U a bit so he deploys his magical flaps (I don't deploy mine), then go in a pure vertical climb when it gets hot (practice it to feel the good timing). The F4U will then suffer of its weight, low climb rate, and drag induced by flaps and is most likely to put his nose down.

This is no magical move, just a hint, and if you are mistaken about the F4U E-state it will tear you to pieces. Remember the Yak has a better level speed at AH altitude so you should be able to run out of icon range  :D
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 12:19:47 PM »
The caveat is your opponent. Most of the better F4U pilots will only use one or two notches of flaps even in a duel, and even then only for so long as they need them and will tuck them back up right away when not just to avoid that very situation. They'll use the F4U's energy retention and instantaneous turn ability, rather than sustained turn with flaps. The instantaneous turn in the F4U at even one notch of flaps at 250IAS is incredible and can put you in his sights in a blink. Those are the Hog sticks to be most wary of: You think you're keeping out of his guns, then all the sudden that big nose swings around and you're getting raked.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline SuBWaYCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 02:07:21 PM »
Well, I can't be much of a help, because everytime I fly the yak I don't even know the names of the moves i"m doin. ( :rolleyes:)

Pretty much whatever I do when I see an F4U in my 9-U is i'll do one turn with it, staying fast. Then, depending on what he does, i'll decide my next move. If he keeps turning, I go vertical. If he decides to turn the other way, I'll use slow down and go inverted and dive. If I don't get him there, its usually a turn right from there.
Axis C.O. for Battle of the Dnieper, Winter '43

Air superiority is a condition for all operations, at sea, on land, and in the air. - Air Marshal Arthur Tedder

364th Chawks