Author Topic: Aces High Movie Database  (Read 2252 times)

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
Aces High Movie Database
« on: April 24, 2008, 11:02:13 AM »
I’ve kind of had this idea for a while and have always wanted to give back to the community as much as possible, either by helping out members of the forum or in game.  I know for a lot of you do not have easy access to web space for hosting your files, or you’re limited in bandwidth or disk space.  So my plans are to kill two birds with one stone.

Currently, the web server I co-own have 2 terabytes of storage and unlimited bandwidth.  Myself and the other owner really have never come close to use any of that storage and do not see any plans in the immediate future to fill that space, especially the unlimited bandwidth.

I’m proposing the creation of the Aces High Movie Database.  The goal of the website will be as follows:
1)   Offer free and unlimited hosting of Aces High movies to users.
2)   Centrally locate a large collection current and past movies*.

*I know a lot of people have lost or cannot find certain movies you are looking for.  They are scattered across the internet and almost impossible to find unless you know someone who knows where its stored or that site was taken down.  The hope would be to have one website to get them all.  This would not be a replacement for Youtube (since that is low quality and convenient for those on dial up etc), but rather a site to host the high quality versions of the film.

Currently, we will need to stress test the server.  I hope to have a user interface website set up eventually where each person would have their own login, a website able to search for movies….etc etc.  For now,  a simple FTP login will server as a temporary set up.  If you have a movie, or past movies (your movie or someone elses) you want shared and/or stored, please feel free to access the FTP (it is currently active).

FTP server:  ftp://derstuhl.com
Login: ahmd1
Password: test1

I recommend zipping the movie as this will allow you to direct link your movie in say your signature.  If you leave it in ‘.avi’ or ‘.wmv’, a direct link once clicked will open your movie in Media Player.  And if the movie is large enough, it will take a while to load it.

Once the file(s) are uploaded, movies can be currently accessed in an open directory:
http://www.derstuhl.com/ahmd/movies

This is the infant stage of a project I’d really like to have take off.  I’m open to suggestions, comments or concerns.
Please only upload AH movies, I will monitor the uploads for bogus file hosting.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Captfish

• Nickel Member
      • VF-6 Fighter Sqdn
Re: Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 01:58:27 PM »
Do you perfer the films to be in a specific formatt .AHF, .AVI, or does it not matter?
'CO' VF-6 Fighter Sqdn

Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 02:32:07 PM »
You can upload either.  It really benefits those of an actual movie format like AVI or WMV etc since these files are much larger than the game film files (AHF).
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline BMathis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 04:17:25 PM »
How would I upload a movie once logged on?
BMathis
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing (Retired)
Aces High CM Staff (Retired) [Koth, Xtreme Racing League]

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 04:30:58 PM »
How would I upload a movie once logged on?

Easiet way to do it...
Find the file on your computer that you want to upload.  Right click on it and select copy.  Go back to your web browser with the that had the FTP site open.  Right click on the white background of the window and paste the file.  It should say "Copying."

Depending on your file size and your internet speed...it can take a few minutes or an hour or more.  If you need more help explaining this, I can do a 101 tutorial on it.

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 04:40:56 PM »
That is prob. one of the best ideas I have ever heard of on the AHII BBS to date.
Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 05:28:02 PM »
Fulmar, I really do like this idea.  What you are offering is great.  Monitoring it is also a great idea for many reasons.

I'm sure we can find a good way to stress test your server.

I'll be talking with ya soon.

<S>
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 05:28:56 PM »
I began uploading my collection of movies as of now.

Offline JanneK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 02:22:18 AM »
Thx a lot Fulmar, this are great idea and your offering are really generous  :salute

I just uploaded few films and seems to work fine
Proud member of Vaasan Vaakalentäjät

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 03:06:14 AM »
What are download transfer speeds at for you Jannek?
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline JanneK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 04:24:44 AM »
What are download transfer speeds at for you Jannek?

I'm downloading right now one film, Old_School_German_Iron.wmv ( 134 Mb ). And download speed are ca. 260-270 kb/sec...
so it's quite good to me.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 04:27:18 AM by JanneK »
Proud member of Vaasan Vaakalentäjät

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 08:04:21 AM »
We're currently working on putting up a Website for it.  Not sure when we'll get it functioning since it will go through an alpha stage first.  But it should allow us to have registered users to access uploading, search downloads, rate downloads etc..

Ideally, I'd like to have descriptions and maybe screenshots of the movie when your browsing the movies.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 08:06:52 AM by Fulmar »

Offline BMathis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 04:43:26 PM »
I just tries uploading Spitfire 14 "Invasion"... The server timed out with 5 Min. Left  :huh

Did I do something wrong?
BMathis
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing (Retired)
Aces High CM Staff (Retired) [Koth, Xtreme Racing League]

Offline ATC1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 05:30:42 PM »
Great deal Fulmar

Uploading 2 films today

Thanks....   :salute

Offline Spiffing

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2008, 10:33:36 AM »
I've always thought there should be a database like this one. It's a great idea  :aok I'm uploading Kinslayer and Band of Aces - should be ready soon. Feel free to download, share, email etc.

Spiff <S>