Author Topic: TOD SUGGESTIONS  (Read 1174 times)

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
TOD SUGGESTIONS
« on: December 08, 2001, 12:24:00 PM »
There was a thread a while back polling for ideas for events.

I would like some basic ideas that you folks would like us to create.  Keep in mind that our planeset is limited and we don't like to make substitutes if at all possible.

We have several historical terrains.

Europe
Black Sea
Philippines
Baltic
Big Week
Norway
Mindanao
Stalingrad
Mediterranean

When I write a TOD I am more inclinded to "base" it on an actual event rather than get mixed up in the finest of details.  Those fine detail events we call "scenarios".  

TOD's allow us to give you a one life event based on the specific bettle or theatre of operations.

Offline Kingonads

• Copper Member
TOD SUGGESTIONS
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2001, 12:44:00 PM »
I would still like a TOD to be run like hostile shores was.  A war of Attrition,  I am tired of fighting in one frame, smoking a funky butt lovin of zeros only to see ALL N1K2 the next frame, how do U lose planes and get better ones?  I still think they should have so many of one type of plane and a unlimited number of another type, Like for instance U have 2 squadrons of 8 planes they have been asigned Tempest, they lose 7 tempest in the first frame, should U have 7 tempest replace them, HECK NO, they would get typhoons to rplace the tempest loses. yeah this would suck for the most part but it would also make people less apt to not care in these events.  I am tired of being sent on sucide runs in fighter or in bombers just to draw fighters away.  If the TODs keep like this I doubt many other squads will keep in it, thats Y the numbers have dropped alot since it started.

Hodo

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
TOD SUGGESTIONS
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2001, 04:51:00 PM »
Well that wasn't what I was asking but that's ok too.  I am certainly not the man who runs the CM team so those people should answer you questions.  I'll give you my 2 cents.

As for modelling the TOD like Hostile Shores:

The TOD's are not so complicated and I would like to keep them that way.  Details like that that need to be worried about the more difficult it is to manage.

We set it up theoretically with 2 equal sides and each side has a primary, secondary and alternate objective.

When it comes to PERK planes they will certainly be limited but N1k's aren't perks and the Axis did not up in all N1k's.  You ran into a whole bunch....well that is fine I'm sure moe than one time a small group of Naval planes was pounced by zekes or N1K's.

We design the TOD so that both sides will have contact..afterall in this game we shoot other planes down.  Sometimes a small squad meets up with a large squad..we as CM's really can't control that and nor could the Frame C.O. as he has  no idea what the other side has planned.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
TOD SUGGESTIONS
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2001, 05:16:00 PM »
I would think a squadron that experienced losses would get replacements of the same type.

Well, that's if you want to base it on a <cough> realistic assumption.

After all, a P-51 squadron that lost 3 planes wouldn't get 3 P40's as replacements. They'd get what the squadron pilots were already qualified in, what the squadron mechanics were trained to work on and what the squadron supply and munitions branches had "consumables" for, I think.

...and on the original topic, I'd like to see a "Russian Front" TOD. I think we've got a decent planeset for that, especially if set up to use the IL-s in its proper role.

Just my .02.

[ 12-08-2001: Message edited by: Toad ]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
TOD SUGGESTIONS
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2001, 05:24:00 PM »
Stalingrad that way we can use 202/205s

I wish we had a playable med terrain.......

Nuttz how about a med terrain Italy, greece some of N. Africa..... :)

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
TOD SUGGESTIONS
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2001, 08:04:00 PM »
If the TODs keep like this I doubt many other squads will keep in it, thats Y the numbers have dropped alot since it started.

What are you talking about? We had 10 squads sign up in the first month. Now we have 18. You do the math. What squad are you in hodo that is in the TOD?

Black Sea is the next one toad.  :)

Rgr that wotan, as soon as the med is updated or when sundog is finished with Sicily we will have it.  :)
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Kingonads

• Copper Member
TOD SUGGESTIONS
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2001, 09:48:00 PM »
I am in the Rogue Squadron, but the numbers for each event is what I am talking about there R less people showing up..... maybe its the event it self or the match ups.  

And The US is a bad example because of its HUGE production capacity, but he Japanese where known to put A6M5s with N1K2s and A6M2s that had loss tooo many planes.

Hodo

Offline AN

• Copper Member
TOD SUGGESTIONS
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2001, 08:31:00 AM »
I've suggested Dieppe before, and I'm doing it again now.  :)

We've got the planeset, and although we don't have a map that has anything where Dieppe is, the Europe map (not the new BW map) has a perfect Dieppe-like area at Cherbourg.  It has mannable gun positions, a port, and is just about the right distance from the RAF airfields and the LW airfields (although the two airfields at Cherbourg probably shouldn't be used).

Instead of 'Dieppe', call it 'Raid on France' and make it a 'what-if' based on the Raid on Dieppe.  :)

anRky

Offline jpeg

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.steveo.us
TOD SUGGESTIONS
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2001, 11:43:00 PM »
TOD suggestion:
Let walkons play

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
TOD SUGGESTIONS
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2001, 01:14:00 AM »
I'd like to see something along the lines of a Kursk battle. Too bad we don't have some Soviet armor and some Ju87s. Give both sides PzIVs and IL-2s and it might work.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
TOD SUGGESTIONS
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2001, 02:11:00 AM »
1941-1942 stuff over France/Belgium/Holland.
B-26's and Spits against Ju 88, 109s, and 190s.  Dieppe idea by Anrky sounds pretty good.  Make sure some of the targets in France belong to Allies so Luftwaffe can hit "Allied-held positions in France".

Offline AN

• Copper Member
TOD SUGGESTIONS
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2001, 08:37:00 AM »
funkedup:
--------------------------------------
1941-1942 stuff over France/Belgium/Holland.
-------------------------------------

Dieppe is my 'pet' scenario idea, but a TOD full of Circuses, Rodeos, and Rhubarbs would make me just as happy  :)

anRky

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
TOD SUGGESTIONS
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2001, 08:59:00 AM »
Yer reading my mind AN

I wrote a TOD idea based on Dieppe.  It is on the shelf until the map is updated.  As a matter of fact that map is being updated as we speak.

So instead:

I am writing a TOD based on Rodeo's and Rhubarbs.  We don't have any proper RAF bombers to make a nice "Circus" so it will just be fighters.

Offline AN

• Copper Member
TOD SUGGESTIONS
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2001, 09:07:00 AM »
Looking forward to both!

anRky

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
TOD SUGGESTIONS
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2001, 11:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by jpeg:
TOD suggestion:
Let walkons play

We do let walk-ons play jpeg.  You must be a member of a squad in the TOD though....it doesnt affect MA squads in any way.  Because of the way scoring is run, everybody must be registered on the TOD site at Events HQ.  The log files that Exile uses to compile stats dont show squad affiliation, so everybody has to be pre-registered on the Events site so that his stats compiler can attribute points to the proper squads.

So, until you at least try to get a guest spot with one of the TOD squads, you dont know what you are missing.   :)