Author Topic: 1 ping kill on a Lanc  (Read 747 times)

Uvvall

1 ping kill on a Lanc
« on: April 03, 2001, 11:37:00 PM »
  what kind of hit would it take to get a 1 ping kill on a lanc? Kill the pilot,hit a bomb what? does it happen all the time?

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
1 ping kill on a Lanc
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2001, 11:39:00 PM »
You hit him in passing, and then ack kills him. One ping kill.

But, if you are hooked in at 400ms and I am in at 200ms you will hear only one ping, though I may hit you 80 times (hrof). I am now of the opinion that you want to wait a few seconds before launching anew. I have heard rounds striking after I am in the tower (guys must like the damage factor peaked).
------------------
Voss
13th TAS

[This message has been edited by Voss (edited 04-03-2001).]

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
1 ping kill on a Lanc
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2001, 12:12:00 AM »
I killed a lanc about 2 weeks ago with 1 bullet.  It was a 37mm round from a yak9t.  I figured it would be good for intercepting those pesky 20k lancs, and it was!  

------------------
bloom25
-MAW-
(Formerly of the)
THUNDERBIRDS

funked

1 ping kill on a Lanc
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2001, 12:16:00 AM »
Last night Suave and I were testing the Panzer armor in the Dueling Arena using the Yak-9T.  We both noticed that the tank would hear several 37mm hits while the shooter only saw one.  I think this might extend to all aircraft too.  There may be fewer hit flashes then actual hits.

Offline CRASH

• Copper Member
1 ping kill on a Lanc
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2001, 10:27:00 AM »
I killed a lanc with one burst from a p51d.  I came in level from his right wing and fired a delection shot right into the cockpit.  It was a good tight 2 second burst dead center into the cabin....best shot I ever took    I imagine he only heard 1 ping...if any  

CRASH

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
1 ping kill on a Lanc
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2001, 10:40:00 AM »
As a Lanc driver, I can't beleive I'm giving this away....

Seems if the fighter is packing cannons, like the deadly 37mm, the best way to send a Lancaster to kingdom come is to come up from below and hammer the belly with cannon.  That almost always raptures the main fuel, starts a fire and a few moments later, kaboom.  This strategy has been used against my Lancasters a number of times, and I've used it against some with great success as well.  Also, side/rear attacks are ok if you use the dual rudders to hide behind.  I have a hard time defending the sweeping 4 to 8 o'oclock attacks.

Lately I see more and more C-Hogs up hi, where as it was usually 109s and P-51s.  P-51s are pretty easy to shoot down since it doesn't take a golden BB to send them away smoking coolant.  C-Hogs are just deadly and can fly with half a wing.  Lately I aim for their canopy to induce a pilot wound/black out and then try to clip the wings.  That is, of course, if Im still alive to do that  

Big problem for Lanc drivers is the fact the tail and top turrents have this habbit of not firing, despite no damage and lots of ammo.  Been mentioned many times in the Bug Reports section.

No bottom turrent makes the Lanc ripe to a bottom attack.  If you are dumb and come in dead 6, you die  

------------------
Paul J. Busiere

Aces High Arena handle:  BD5Pilot
 http://bd5.checksix.net
BD-5 "T" (TurboProp) 90% complete, first flight in 2001 (We hope!)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
1 ping kill on a Lanc
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2001, 11:35:00 AM »
Lepaul, you're not giving anything away, just about every encounter I've had with a fighter while flying the Lanc is a belly up atitude, however, you can defeat that with your lanc..although I'm not about to post how.  

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
1 ping kill on a Lanc
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2001, 01:40:00 PM »
I was in a Lanc the other week and Wilbus shot me down with what I presume was a 30mm.  All I heard was 1 ping and next thing I'm back in the tower!    I've never experienced such a quick explosion!

Regards

Nexx
NEXX

Offline Twist

• Nickel Member
1 ping kill on a Lanc
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2001, 01:54:00 PM »
Been there too...had a pony come in high 7 and never heard a thing...go figure.
Razer

Hellcat FG

"They porked the Hellcat? Why did they do that?"

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
1 ping kill on a Lanc
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2001, 02:11:00 PM »
You don't hear much after the first .50 hit hits your brainpan.  

------------------
Sean "Lephturn" Conrad - Aces High Chief Trainer

A proud member of the mighty Flying Pigs
http://www.flyingpigs.com

Check out Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH articles and training info!

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
1 ping kill on a Lanc
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2001, 11:36:00 PM »

Originally posted by funked:
Last night Suave and I were testing the Panzer armor in the Dueling Arena using the Yak-9T.  We both noticed that the tank would hear several 37mm hits while the shooter only saw one.  I think this might extend to all aircraft too.  There may be fewer hit flashes then actual hits.

I think I will continue preferring Hispanos over 37mm..  
at least hispanos doesn't care about the angle, 37mm seems to be on weak unless hitting in the top part.

Offline DB603

• Nickel Member
1 ping kill on a Lanc
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2001, 02:39:00 AM »
S!

It is possible to kill a Lanc with 1 kill,but why bother   I just fire about 20-40 20mm rounds from any direction at each pass to the fuselage,or if I get a good head on,the cockpit area.And what Rip said about evading belly runs..The Lancs just seem to turn so U have to follow them or even LOOP!
 B17's are more tough to bring down due to the amount of defensive armament,but I have managed to down one with only 2 pings from the 30mm.This was also verified by the B17 driver..Hitted the fuel tanks and few seconds later-->BOOM!

------------------
DB603
3.Lentue
Lentolaivue 34

Uvvall

1 ping kill on a Lanc
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2001, 03:32:00 AM »
 Well it wasnt any fuel tank ,there was no delay after the hit ,it was ping boom,actualy I never even heard the ping.
  It was a LA7,so there was no 30 or 37 mm. I guess he head shot me thats the only way.

[This message has been edited by Uvvall (edited 04-05-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Uvvall (edited 04-05-2001).]

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
1 ping kill on a Lanc
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2001, 05:32:00 AM »
With lacking armament, pilot shots are the one to go  

Its surprisingly easy to kill pilot of a buff in AH, but seems squeaky against fighters - they tend to get wounded more or blow up before that due to other issues.

Just get cannon or HMG fire walk over the cockpit and boom.