Author Topic: x52 Scaling and dampening  (Read 557 times)

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
x52 Scaling and dampening
« on: April 27, 2008, 09:20:47 PM »
Gents,
Can someone post a good scaling and dampening settings map for my x52.
I did a search and many of the posts are very old. My main issue is nose bounce.
Any help would be appreciated, and returned by me in any way i can.

Thanks
 :salute
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
Re: x52 Scaling and dampening
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 09:28:47 PM »
i have no problems with my dampening and scaling that I know of.  I'm using my default settings that came with my X52.
MasonZ - In-game ID
=Wings of Terror= - MA Squad
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 10:05:05 PM »
nose bounce is horrible. Try raising your dampening. Also, if you have downloaded the software for profiles, you may have to look into that. I don't use the profiles. However, if you are you have to check that too. Try calibrating in windows first. Also, while in windows set some deadzones for every control.

Hope this helps.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 10:24:43 PM »
Thanks Getback, should have also stated in my post that im a novice computer operator. I didnt download the software either. Not quite sure how how to do it in windows or set the dead zones

« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 10:26:34 PM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Offline Wobbly

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 05:45:15 AM »
You dont need the Saitek software, do it in the controller setup in AH - go to x and y axis then click the box that says "advanced" and all will be revealed.

Do a search for "scaling" - folks have posted some numbers which you can cut n paste into your controller config file.

Read the Game Setup stuff at http://www.netaces.org/
Game ID: Blimey

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 11:19:40 AM »
I tried some settings that other people have and ended going back to the default. They fixed some of the bounce issues but got some funky stalls sometimes.

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 04:13:51 PM »
Thanks Getback, should have also stated in my post that im a novice computer operator. I didnt download the software either. Not quite sure how how to do it in windows or set the dead zones

installing the software that came with your X52 will help if you said you havn't. When you install the softare at the end it should have you calibrate with out option, do that, make sure your controls all work (stick and throttle) then see if that works in-game.
MasonZ - In-game ID
=Wings of Terror= - MA Squad
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato

Offline Sketch

• Silver Member
      • http://www.arabian-knights.org
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 05:51:17 PM »
Never installed the crap that came with the X52 itself.  I just plugged it in and programmed it in the game itself.  Have the software run is just another program running while I am flying.... BUT, I did this before because I was broke, married and well... married and could not upgrade the memory in crap computer.  SO, when I built a new computer and got a bunch more memory, 1.5gigs more :D  I was able to install the software... But I still didn't.  I became accustomed to using the game itself and it works great as far as modes and such.  That is just my .02 cents on it.  Also, get a powered USB hub, seems to always help with Saitek gear. :rock
~Sketch~//~Arabian Knights~
Sketch's Gunsight Collection 2008
Sketchworks Arabian Knights Soundpack
~Oderint Dum Metuant~

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 05:55:05 PM »
Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it. Ill give it a whirl, If i can ever be of any help, just give me a PM

Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 05:50:45 PM »
The Saitek X52 and SST software has no provision for windows/offline calibration or scaling within the SST software itself.  There is a window which shows that the controller and buttons are working correctly and the software lets you assign complex commands but there is no way to tailor the response, that must be done within AH's setup. 

The nose bounce problem with the X52 seems to me to stem from two X52 issues.  First, there is some mechanical play in the system at dead center which means coming off of center isn't always smooth.  Also, the basic X52 has a plastic cone which will tend to stick once it begins to wear.  The other problem is that the basic X52 has a very light spring and sometimes there is too little resistance to slight movements.  While I like the light spring on the basic X52 I prefer the stiffer dual spring system and metal cone of the X52 Pro. 

If you can't find a good combination of damping/scaling in AH that works for you stiffen up the spring.  There are a few very easy fixes which may help you.  Go to Saitek's forums and do a search and you'll find some suggestions.  The easiest one I know of is to use the foam washer that comes with some bulk DVD/CD cases (the ones where all the DVD/CDs are stacked in a round case).  Split the foam washer and stick it on top of the spring at the base of the control grip.  If you can't find a case with this foam washer you can also cut out the hard plastic piece, it's about the right size but takes a bit of trimming.  Another option is to do the same thing with a soda bottle cap (takes a bit more work).  Also, it helps if you keep the cone lubricated with a little lithium-based grease to keep it from wearing and sticking.
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF