Author Topic: "Turning Up" your Video Card  (Read 651 times)

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
"Turning Up" your Video Card
« on: April 28, 2008, 04:19:57 PM »
Well, recently I have heard many people say "I have to turn up my video card" or "I have my video card turned up" or something like that. was just wonderin how you did it, and if it affected the graphics of the game. Also, would it screw up the Video card over time?
MasonZ - In-game ID
=Wings of Terror= - MA Squad
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
Re: "Turning Up" your Video Card
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 06:15:22 PM »
Are you referring to turning up your video settings or over-clocking your video card?

Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin. - Tim Vine.

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 06:17:39 PM »
If its an Nvidia card, I have an XFX 7600GT AGP, the driver I use 93.71 from XFX which allows me to use a little utility called Coolbits.  By "Turning Up" if you mean overclocking, yes, I overclock mine, I use the utility to discover the maximum amount allowed then back it of a little to what I feel safe with according to the card temperatures and the way the PC reacts to it.  

One note the standard Nvidia 93.71 driver does not allow this only the XFX version of it does, point being that theres alot more to it than just the casual "Turn it Up"
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 09:26:38 PM »
Are you referring to turning up your video settings or over-clocking your video card?

wats the difference? and Hungry i have an ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 w/ a PCI Express Slot.
MasonZ - In-game ID

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 09:52:06 PM »
Turning up the settings is a control either in the video card settings itself or in the game under graphic controls (or similar). Overclocking your video card is a process that speeds up the speed of which your card runs at. I wouldn't recommend it for the non-advanced computer user. There are some geniuses here that could tell you more about it, Im sure.

:aok
Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin. - Tim Vine.

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 09:54:21 PM »
do you know how to turn up an ATI RADEON XPRESS 200?
MasonZ - In-game ID

Offline Sincraft

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 10:57:55 PM »
There will be no turning up of that video chip.  I would suggest you do not do that. 
Get a video card like a 9600gt or even an older 7600gt and you could overclock (the official term) your gpu (graphics processing unit).
But if you only play games like AH2, you really don't need to overclock. 

And yes it does shorten the life of you graphics adapter (gpu).  How much is up for debate, but YES it will.

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 06:05:52 AM »
so i cant turn up or over clock my current chip? if that the case ill be over mom ack to buy a new one  :devil :t
MasonZ - In-game ID

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 08:56:09 AM »
If you get a new video card NVidia 7900 and 8600 are good ones for $100 or so.  If you have a little more to spend go for a GeForce 8800 or 9600.  Which ever card you get if it's NVidia get "NTune" it's good for overclocking, as it has a "test" button to let you know if the card can handle the speeds you set it to.  Example: I have an Nvidia GeForce 7900GS Clock speeds- 450MHz and 650MHz stock, I can overclock safely to 555MHz and 666MHz max before my test fails (I only use OverClock for high-end games).
Also if you do OverClock you will need to turn the speed of the fan(s) on the GPU up, if it doesn't automatically.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 08:59:17 AM by 1701E »
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 09:10:59 AM »
I think what you want to do is turn antialiasing and anisotropic filtering just a little bit. I dont recommend increasing antialiasing above X4 because you wont be able to see dots as well. I use X8 and I can identify aircraft types at 10k distance by zooming in but with just a little fog or cloud layer and I wont see them at all. Oh and for the money the 7950 is the best buy last I checked but now that the 9800s are out it wont be long before the 8800s are on the cheap.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 12:48:16 PM »
I have a similar thread to this one (didn't see this one until afterward) where I'm petitioning ideas on how to best configure your VC.  Please give me your ideas there:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,234599.0.html
The Hay Street Boys

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 06:12:12 PM »
any good PC's out there on the market for gaming/every day use other than alienware, even though it is more of a gaming PC?
MasonZ - In-game ID