Author Topic: Comments on negative posting and thread locks  (Read 3391 times)

Offline Sky Viper

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.no54squad.com
Comments on negative posting and thread locks
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2001, 10:06:00 AM »
As a major whiner myself, may I say, I am sorry that I ever whined.

All of this tension and ill behavior may be opening my eyes.

What a bunch of over aged toddlers we have become.

Again, I appologize for my share of the whining.

Sky Viper

Offline Lance

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2001, 10:53:00 AM »
Pongo, Mav, and anyone else eaten up by HTC offering their product to some people for a lower price than you are paying...

When you go to a grocery store and the person in the checkout line in front of you pays less for a box of cereal with a coupon, do you feel outraged?

When you go to a restaurant and see an elderly man getting a senior's discount, or a college coed getting a student's discout, does the bile build?

If you go to a store in a shopping center or office building and see an employee from a different business in that same shopping center or office building getting a discount, are you incensed?

If you answered yes to all of the above, do you handle it by posting fliers on the business' windows declaring those businesses as unfair and inept?  If you do, how long does it take for the business owners or managers to come out and rip them down?  

Do you stand outside the door trying to impress your point of view on each potential customer that walks by in an attempt to do away with coupons, senior discounts, student discounts, or employee discounts?  If so, how long are you there before being asked to leave or the cops show up?

This situation really is that simple folks.  You have individuals and groups of potential customers that were offered pricing incentives to come here, not unlike the above mentioned scenarios that we all accept in the real world.  Why this is any different for some of you baffles me.

If you can't enjoy AH with some people paying less than you, then you have two sensible options that won't get you in hot water with HTC or the people that would disagree with you.  Leave and let Pyro know why you did so in a *private* email.  Or try to get HTC to change their pricing in a private discussion with them.  If you feel the need to organize support for a change, then do so elsewhere than on these virtual windows of HTC's business.  Above all, do not attempt to speak for the rest of the community or player base or else you will be rebuked.

Gordo

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2001, 11:31:00 AM »
I don't always agree with Mav, but I have a great deal of respect for what he has to say - this time I agree with some of the points he makes.

Short term promotional offers, I have no problem with.

Unlimited term discounts I do, except to people who have put something back in (i.e. subscribers since beta or the training/CM corps). This does not include me, by the way.

The pricing structure tests didn't really bother me that much, because I think it was a necessary step considering the new products emerging in direct competition.

But if there is any truth in discounts being offered to AW squads, then it does seem a little bit of slap in the face. Is this the only way HTC can survive and grow?
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2001, 11:43:00 AM »
As SOB say, Cookie Wookie!

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2001, 12:57:00 PM »
The problem is what I stated.  Just about all threads that have been locked on this board have been because of people bashing each other.  Perhaps I'm mistaken and this thread wasn't kicked up with the intent of getting people worked up, but that's the appearance it gives to me.  Although I address that thread in particular, I'm really talking about the broader issue.

There are certain things that we won't comment on and some people are going to assume the worst.  There's an uneasy conflict between wanting to allay people's concerns and setting timely expectations.  

Most problems don't bother me because I know that they just require time and effort and then they're gone.  The problem that concerns and frustrates me is what started me on this is all about and there's no simple solution.  

Until recently, I haven't been playing much.  Even though I'm often having to deal with complaints about people online and read negative experiences about it from people trying out the game, I think I've been numbed into thinking it's just par for the course.  The instigating, trash-talking, and inciting has become way too frequent.  It's a problem if unchecked continues to escalate and will only grow as the game grows.  It'll be further exacerbated by the clientele that environment attracts and drives out.  The sad thing is, it only takes 1 or 2 people to change an enjoyable environment into a bad one.  Everybody sees it.  The person who's bored and finds it entertaining to jerk reactions out of people and starts arguments.  The person who's miserable for whatever reason and wants the world to be miserable with them.  The person who has to constantly cast insults at others to feel better about themselves.  This will not be the culture of AH.  

Mav, I see where my cop comment could be construed as insensitive and I apologize for that.  That was not the intention.  If I had instead suggested grabbing a bull by the balls, it would not have been intended as an advocation of cruelty to animals although it could be taken that way in the literal sense.

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

[This message has been edited by Pyro (edited 04-04-2001).]

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2001, 01:22:00 PM »

Originally posted by Pyro:

There are certain things that we won't comment on and some people are going to assume the worst.  There's an uneasy conflict between wanting to allay people's concerns and setting timely expectations.

People would rather be informed and displeased with the information than to be left guessing. That's not my opinion, that's fact. It's taught at every level of leadership in the military and it's a basic fact of human psychology.

------------------
Raubvogel
LuftJägerKorps

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2001, 01:23:00 PM »
Why apologise? if some here are just too 'touchy feely' to see through your comment and not take it literally then thats tough luck, this is your company UBB and so far you've been more than tolerant to some posts. This is HTC's board not a fan site board where anything goes and to be quite honest alot more is left uncensored on this UBB than other company UBB's.

This is Aces High community showcase, a place where prospective players will come to look and find out more about the game and the community, ask yourselves the next time your put finger to key..is this the way you want people to see this community?

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2001, 01:37:00 PM »

Offline paintmaw

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2001, 01:55:00 PM »
are posts in here supposed to be serious ??

[This message has been edited by paintmaw (edited 04-04-2001).]

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2001, 01:56:00 PM »
Everybody sees it. The person who's bored and finds it entertaining to jerk reactions out of people and starts arguments. The person who's miserable for whatever reason and wants the world to be miserable with them. The person who has to constantly cast insults at others to feel better about themselves. This will not be the culture of AH.
======
Thanks Pyro.

I was starting to get discouraged thinking you guys eaither werent aware of the nose dive the AH online community was experiencing or didnt care.  

As usual, you guys are more aware of things than even I tend to appreciate.

I hope to return before too long.

<S>

Y
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2001, 02:50:00 PM »
"This will not be the culture of AH"

Best thing I've heard in a long time <S> Pyro.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2001, 03:28:00 PM »
Gordo.
Good points, I will save us time and not give an equal number of opisite anologies, all of them as relevent as yours. Let me know if your interested.

Westy seems to be mostly concerned about the rediculous way that some of these complaints get expressed. I dont know if particularly he means me but his mode of rebutle was very simulure to what I would use so I imagine he means someone else.
I mearly tried to present the alternative side of this. I happen to feel that way but I also know I cant get my fix elsewhere. That leads to hard feelings I guess.

As to the place to discuss it. This is our comunity. This is the place we discuss things. Pricing policy was not on any waiver I ever signed to belong. If it is embarassing for HTC thats unfortunate. Maybe we need a new waiver. I really do think some of you guys protest a little too much. I wonder how you feel about it in your heart of hearts.  Probebly alot like the chute shooters that instist it doenst matter or bother them but log after you chute them. Or the guys that say gangbanging doesnt bother them but dont seem to be online to endure it.
I think we should moderate the way we discuss things but not within reason what we discuss. I think that is what pyro meant as well.
But saying we cant talk about this its inflamitory or people cant leak details its inflamitory...I guess I dont aggree with that. Although I aggree its inflamitory.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2001, 05:04:00 PM »

Originally posted by Raubvogel:
People would rather be informed and displeased with the information than to be left guessing. That's not my opinion, that's fact. It's taught at every level of leadership in the military and it's a basic fact of human psychology.

Raub,

Good job you hit it right on the head. This lesson has not been passed around enough. Simply taking a stand and stating what the situation is will do more to alleviate negative posts than to ignore the situation and hope it goes away. Pyro did it once before with the price "experiment". He cleared up the rumors and stated HTC's position. It pretty much took care of all the speculation.

The main part of my post was trying to get around to just that point. I was trying to give Pyro, or anyone at HTC who wanted to do it, a chance to clear up the controversy and end it. I also wanted to let them know that I saw the thread as being supportive to HTC as the players want to help them keep the game clean.

Like another player in the game, I also state my thoughts as I would in person. I do not speak for all customers, true. But I am a customer and will post my thoughts about the game as a customer. If this were a private "lan" game not open to the public I wouldn't have any call to speak about it. It is, however, an open public game played for a fee that I pay which makes me a customer. My comments have been both pro and con as have many others here on this BBS.

Pyro my bringing this thread up was not to "extend the controversy". It was to let you know that I felt the players were being supportive not derogatory towards HTC. Closing threads won't end controversy but open dialogue can.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline paintmaw

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2001, 06:22:00 PM »
PLEASE POST GUIDELINES , WHAT WE MAY DISCUSS ON BBS AND WHAT WE CAN NOT

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2001, 06:26:00 PM »
Do you really want Pyro's time spent writing up an acceptable use policy for the boards, or do you think we could instead ask posters to use a little common sense or risk having them locked.