Author Topic: Pearl Harbor Sceanrio ?  (Read 1530 times)

Offline Aub

• Nickel Member
Pearl Harbor Sceanrio ?
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2001, 04:32:00 PM »
To show what the event was:

Pearl Harbor Scenario

Aub

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Pearl Harbor Sceanrio ?
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2001, 01:40:00 PM »
I was the IJN CO of a Pearl "recreation" back in Brand W. Wasn't a scenario per se. But as a recreation it was a lot of fun for both sides.

Allied arrived late, got to sit parked on runway in P40's untill they died. Once they died, they were clear to TRY to takeoff.
Allies were allowed multiple respawns for a fairly short period of time. IJN was under typical 1 life rules.

Surpriseingly enough I think about 6 got airbourne and managed to cause some chaos in the Kate & val ranks.

Overall we had about 200 in the arena for this one time event. I think we all had fun and there was nothing "tacky" about it.

Sometimes the hardest part of setting up a scenario are determining acurate victory conditions that let either side win.

Hopefully 1.09 will bring us the planes we need for Pacific carrier battles.

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Pearl Harbor Sceanrio ?
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2001, 02:22:00 PM »
Listen guys, I wasn't talking about the scenario being tacky. I was talking about you personally.

You Guys = Tacky

hblair = Not Tacky

Understand?

:D

Seriously, looks like I'm outvoted here. I must be wrrroo-. er uh wrrroonn..-.

Well, I wasn't right anyway.

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
Pearl Harbor Sceanrio ?
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2001, 04:19:00 PM »
Oh!!! Why didn't you say so in the first place .. of course I am tacky.  ;)
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline jordi

• Platinum Member
      • noseart
Pearl Harbor Sceanrio ?
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2001, 08:59:00 PM »
Listen guys, I wasn't talking about the scenario being tacky. I was talking about you personally.
You Guys = Tacky

hblair = Not Tacky

Understand?

Seriously, looks like I'm outvoted here. I must be wrrroo-. er uh wrrroonn..-.

Well, I wasn't right anyway.

---

Well to a degree we are ALL Tacky !

I just did not want you to dismiss out of hand the possibility of a good PH Scenario. Heck there were AW Scenarios that I did not participate in when I did not FEEL a real passion to participate - either not my plane types or geography, time frame . . .

I respect your opinion not to like a PH Scenario idea.

Everynes Milage varies !

Now hblair - what would the perfect sceanrio for YOU ? We can never have too many ideas.

Mike "Jordi" Bowman
AW - AH Pilot 199? - 200?
Pulled out of Mothballs for DGS Allied Bomber Group Leader :)

Nose art

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
Pearl Harbor Sceanrio ?
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2001, 10:47:00 PM »
If we had the plane set and the terrain I would set it up right away as a Snapshot.  :)

Would also do some "what if's". What if we had a patrol of P-40's airborne, what if the IJN aircraft were spotted 5 min out, what if the IJN CV was spotted by one of our CV's...
Lots of ways to have fun with this event.  :)

Good suggestion Mike, just a matter of time.

I also would put hb in one of those IJN mini subs.  ;)
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Pearl Harbor Sceanrio ?
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2001, 12:40:00 PM »
Ohhh well why didn't you say so Hblair!

err ok so you did, I guess, sorta, kinda late but ya got there eventaully. Hmmm kinda tacky actually, but shrug.   :)

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Pearl Harbor Sceanrio ?
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2001, 08:04:00 AM »
Tacky huh?  Well, according to some of my family this whole WW2 air combat flight simulation scene is tacky - my sister is horrified that I enjoy "bombing" and "killing" in this way.  :)

As for Pearl Harbour, when we ran it in AW it was in two phases.  Because the sides were uneven, we all switched sides for the second phase so that each team had a chance of being the attackers and the defenders.

This also gave each team's CO the opportunity to plan their own style of attack/defence, with some unusual results! Also, because each team had a go at both attacking and defending, both teams had an equal chance of winning overall.

Switch-side scenarios have been more popular this last year or so for this type of one-sided battle.  Our (possibly) upcoming Ploesti scenario in AW is of this type and if we are able to go ahead, should be a lot of fun!    :D
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
Pearl Harbor Sceanrio ?
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2001, 02:22:00 AM »
You mean that the sides were "switched" in that the Japanese were allowed try their hand at being the defenders of the harbor? And the Americans played the attackers ?

No offense fellas, but thats kinda going a lil far isn't it? Swapping history just to make it interesting? Don't get me wrong, There's nothing wrong with doing that, but when ya do that, it certainly isn't exactly a "historical scenario", is it?

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
Pearl Harbor Sceanrio ?
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2001, 05:52:00 AM »
Not sure if I understood your last post correctly hblair, so if I read it wrong please forgive.

Yes and no the sides were switch. The teams were switched not the actually forces. By this I mean the people who flew American planes flew them for (I think it was three frames). Then the teams switched and they flew Japaneses planes three frames.

So only the pilots switched what they were flying. Americans still defended Pearl Harbor and Japanese still attacked Pearl Harbor .. this was not changed. Just people/teams switched sides and flew the opposite planes.
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Pearl Harbor Sceanrio ?
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2001, 06:13:00 AM »
It became a common AW technique to allow sceanrios that were obviously unbalanced, such as the battle of Brittain. You did (for example) three frames as a Brit, and three frames as a Hun, and an aggregate score was produced.

This showed the side which had the most efficient command structure and superior tactics over time; and it engendered real unit forming as people trained to function as a unit for weeks leading up to a scenario.

A good example was Moon dog's P40 squad in the PH scenario. No one gave them a chance, but they'd practised intensively, studied every thing chennault had done and truely "owned" the Zekes.

Which brings on another scenario point: A lot of people, when they start this stuff, are aghast at how their favorite plane flies. They "know" the P40 (or for that matter the 109) was the superior plane, they have the factual results of the battles and the stories thier cultural background supplies. When they find the P40 is pretty much meat in arena play they naturally suspect the model is off and cry "foul". What they're missing are the tactical and leader ship aspects of combat which only really show in a scenario. For example, the Jug, although a strong plane, will never rule the arena. But put it up in flights of strength at 27K and give it the job of ensuring the Buffs get there, and you'll see it earn new respect from the LW, who, in turn, are there to buff kill, and thus get past the jug, not to fight the jug per se.

Dam! I want some scenarios. And not at 0400 my time either!

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
Pearl Harbor Sceanrio ?
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2001, 08:59:00 AM »
Ahh ghstdncr, understand now.  :) Thanx fer explaining.

Offline Ratbo

• Copper Member
Pearl Harbor Sceanrio ?
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2001, 12:37:00 PM »
The side switch thing was key.

Peal Harbor, and Ploesti cried for a switch-side event because it was one side attacking and one defending. Ditto Battle of Britain.

I think that CAREFULL scoring planning *could* create a BoB, or Ploesti that didn't need a side switch despite the attacker/defender aspect. I don't however envision a Pearl that could achieve that because of what was said. It was a turkey shoot to a large degree and you need to switch sides to see what team makes the best hunters and smartest turkeys.

-W

Offline jordi

• Platinum Member
      • noseart
Pearl Harbor Sceanrio ?
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2001, 03:06:00 PM »
Gobble Gobble Gobble . .

Good thread all - thanks !

Mike "Jordi" Bowman - 2 time AW Pearl Harbor Commanding Officer Winner - for both sides !
AW - AH Pilot 199? - 200?
Pulled out of Mothballs for DGS Allied Bomber Group Leader :)

Nose art

Offline mjolnir

• Nickel Member
Pearl Harbor Sceanrio ?
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2001, 12:07:00 AM »
Just my two cents, I was part of the USAF Academy cadet chain of command in charge of the Luftwaffe in the Hostile Shores scenario last year.  It was once again a one-sided attack, with American and British planes launching from carriers off the coast of Norway, and the Germans trying to defend.

The Germans were tasked with defending the Tirpitz, one of their few remaining ships, and a couple of strategic bases in Norway.  History shows that the Tirpitz was sunk, and of course the Luftwaffe was eventually defeated.

The scenario was a great "what-if" though.  As part of the German command staff, we got to go through the whole process of trying to effectively defend our strategic targets, while at the same time using what few assets we had to hunt down British carriers and convoys.  We kept the Tirpitz floating until frame 3, when it was finally nailed by Lancasters and TBMs, but all the while our 109s and 190s did considerable damage to the American fighters.  

I have to say that a "what-if" of Pearl Harbor, if run correctly, could be just as exciting and fun to play.  I have nothing but repsect for fd-ski and the others who designed Hostile Shores, and look forward to the next multiframe scenario.   <S>!