Author Topic: So how was Wild Wednesday?  (Read 1601 times)

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
So how was Wild Wednesday?
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2001, 10:10:00 AM »
Daddog,

Will we be getting a purpose built terrain for wild wednesday? The "duelling" bowl we used last time was a bit big, I thought.

Additionaly, would it be possible to have killshooter disabled in the DA for a couple of hours prior to Wild Wednesday to enable a bit of FFA practise?

Thanks.

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2001, 06:20:00 PM »
For now I want to keep them simple. Let the winner of WW chose the next AC and that AC will be use all the rounds. In time (a month or so) maybe we can have the AC change every round. The CM's that are hosting these events are new and I don't want to overload them. Granted changing an AC every round is not a big deal, but I often see more "white" in my text buffer than any other color. It can be difficult to keep track of things.

Seeker as a specific terrain for WW I don't have a problem with that as long as the "historical" terrains are built on time and are kept up to date. Right now the terrain team is working on several and we need some updated. Also HTC has couple that we are waiting for approvial on, Black Sea for one. Somone might build a terrain for WW but quite often it takes weeks before HTC's approve it.  

As for taking off kill shooter in the DA I rather not have CM's changing settings other than the SEA. If you want to practice you might go into the Training Arena where killshooter is off. If a CM is there early for the setup you might ask him, but that is his call.
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2001, 01:36:00 AM »
Regarding the terrain, I'm starting to work on it with Pokie the terrain guru.  :) We're just entering into the design phase so if you have any ideas, suggestions, sketches etc. on what you think would be cool, please let me know - it's amazing what's possible. I don't think it's gonna take a long time, so if ya have any ideas the sooner ya let me know the better.

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2001, 10:53:00 AM »
Thanks Ddog,
just seems a bit unfair to instigate a killer furball in a training arena (but I don't go there much so maybe it's OK?)

Nash, I'd have thought to begin with a simply smaller version of the "gladiator" bowl would be fine - it's just I thought that the event seemed to be a bit fragmented over the three bases on the DA terrain as it currently is.

I guess not much is needed by way of terrain for a "fighter" wild wednesday, although it might be a lot of fun to experiment with cloud and wind layers (I hope all future WW's have at least the "cotton puff" clouds), but anything like a buff or GV WW will need much more thought.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2001, 02:49:00 PM »
Yeah, smaller would be better. Also I was thinking of having three different areas; one for air battles, and one each for potential land and sea battles. There will also be floating observational towers from which you can watch the fight after you die. The floor of the terrain will be much more varied and interesting than the DA's one, and I'm toying with walling the areas in ala the Rumble terrain.

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2001, 03:39:00 PM »
That sounds good!

If you're going to all that effort, it may be an idea to include fields at different alt, it'll be a long wait for climb out should there ever be a Lanc competition  :)

With regard to a canyon walled arena, perhaps it may be nice to have "eagles nests" type fields embedded in the Canyon walls at differing alts, if that's not too fancifull. Seeing as the intention seems to be to fly one plane per evening, it might be nice to give the CM the option of having, say, a round starting at 0K, 10K and 20K through the event.

What about a Jabo terrain? That would need scorable objects, but a nice obstructed ingress path would be good (twisty canyon?), or it could quickly devolve into a lawn dart final!