Author Topic: Are Walkons Welcome?  (Read 468 times)

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Are Walkons Welcome?
« on: November 09, 2001, 03:35:00 PM »
I was quite active in scenarios in AW and I'm looking forward to AH's Bigweek. I can only make this Sunday's frames tho as I'll be out of town next weekend. When I'd know this beforehand I'd tend NOT to register myself as a player freeing up a spot for someone that can make all the frames.

So can I just walk on? If so what's the process here? Thanks much.

Drano
       <dedicated 109 driver  :cool:>
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Rotorian

• Nickel Member
Are Walkons Welcome?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2001, 04:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Drano:

So can I just walk on?
Drano

NO! :(

Originally posted by Drano:
    <dedicated 109 driver   :cool:>

Ya ya ya, just wait until i git this rolly polly gig going jest right  ;).

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Are Walkons Welcome?
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2001, 09:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rotorian:
NO! :(

You're not serious?!? WTF is up with that? Can someone that has a clue explain this?

Drano
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Are Walkons Welcome?
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2001, 11:04:00 AM »
Firstly, check the dates again Drano. It doesn't happen this weekend or the next.

First two frames are on Sunday 9th December. Second two are the following weekend - Sunday 16th December.

Walkons are not permitted for Big Week. This decision has been taken on the strength of experience with the last two scenarios. Not only does it make the whole scenario more chaotic, it delays its start. We had to commit 3 or 4 CMs just to assign walkons.

So this time around, we're doing things differently and insisting on pre-registration.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Are Walkons Welcome?
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2001, 02:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dowding:
Firstly, check the dates again Drano. It doesn't happen this weekend or the next.

First two frames are on Sunday 9th December. Second two are the following weekend - Sunday 16th December.

Ahh  Just goes to show ya how fast things are goin by for me! :eek: Even so, that presents a problem still as I have no idea what I'm doing that far in advance. Oh well.

Still there's gotta be a way for folks to participate given they may not KNOW their schedules that far in advance. Excluding people can't be the right answer.

Thanks for hittin me with the clue rake as far as the dates tho hehe

Drano
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
Are Walkons Welcome?
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2001, 04:09:00 PM »
Drano, I guess we should never say never, but it our intention to run the large scenarios without walkons. The only reason for this is because handling walkons takes an enormous amount of energy while we're trying to get all the registered people squared away. It's not that we're anti-walkons, we're pro pre-registration.  :) By announcing up front that there will be no walkons, that helps kick people in the butt to get them to commit or not.

Your point is well-taken, though. We may indeed have to allow some walkons if we run short of people. We prefer to ask people to pre-register, so that we know in advance roughly how many people to expect. The best I can say right now is no, we are not planning on taking walkons, but that could change depending on how things go.

Offline TheFox

• Copper Member
      • http://www.fox-photography.co.uk
Are Walkons Welcome?
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2001, 05:17:00 AM »
Past experience tells me that no matter how committed people are when they sign-on, there will be drop outs due to unforseen circumstances.

The lack of walk-ons (or replacement inexperienced and confused pilots & crew in real life) just means you will have fewer and fewer participants.

Walk-ons might be a pain in the neck to organise, but they could be the difference between a successful and unsuccessful campaign.

Best Regards

Fox
Krait Squadron
  :)   ;)   :)

Offline Wingnut_0

• Copper Member
      • http://www.Luftjagerkorps.com
Are Walkons Welcome?
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2001, 05:29:00 AM »
During the Norway scenario, 5 of the 7 I know were walk-on's either:

A) went to the opposite team than what they were assigned to in the waiting room.

B) Didn't go to the proper unit when told.

C) Didn't up in the proper plane after being told to.

D) just didn't have a clue as to the rules or mission of the scenario.

So I for one am glad there's pre-reg only.

Offline Exile

• Gold Member
      • http://www.simladder.com/
Are Walkons Welcome?
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2001, 08:41:00 AM »
We will be handling "walk-ons" and "no shows" with the use of a "reserve list".
 http://www.hitechcreations.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=012449