Author Topic: Pilot identyfication  (Read 427 times)

Offline Dawvgrid

• Nickel Member
Pilot identyfication
« on: April 04, 2001, 03:55:00 AM »
is there anyway you can identify your oppo-
nent?,,when you see the icon it shows what
type it is,not the name of the pilot.How do you change the settings of the icon.

Offline Pepe

• Silver Member
Pilot identyfication
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2001, 03:58:00 AM »
You have to kill it (or be killed by) for that  

Cheers,

Pepe

Offline Dawvgrid

• Nickel Member
Pilot identyfication
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2001, 05:31:00 AM »
Thought so thx anyway

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
Pilot identyfication
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2001, 05:28:00 PM »
With some experience, you will recognize your opponent, especially the dedicated plane drivers (rare ones).

You will start to fight him, and sooner or later you will say :"oh ... oh"

then something like :"uh oh!"

then probably :"that's not the average dweeb XXXX driver".

Then finally : "it must be xxxx, better find a way to go ack hanging".
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline RAS

• Copper Member
      • http://flyingaces.bizland.com/54sq/main.htm
Pilot identyfication
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2001, 05:54:00 PM »
With some experience, you will recognize your opponent, especially the dedicated plane drivers (rare ones).

Unless its me in my YAK...sometime before you get to "uh oh" will be  "oh boy".  Just don't salivate too much on your flightstick  

RAS

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
Pilot identyfication
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2001, 07:33:00 PM »

Originally posted by SFRT - Frenchy:

Hehe.. either that or you get your countryman to come help in HIS P-51D. I almost had you Frenchy!!!!!! <SALUTE> It was a fun chase and good fight. I knew that other P-51 was there (sorry, I forget pilot's name) but I wanted to duke it out with you. I know better. It cost me... Grr

NEXT TIME!!!!

------------------
Midnight
13th TAS[/i]
       midnight@13thtas.com      

"You tell them I'm coming.. And Hell's coming with me!" -Kurt Russel Tombstone

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
Pilot identyfication
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2001, 08:26:00 PM »
RFOL, Midnight, yes I remember that, it was fun.

We flew a high sweep with Nomde/SJ/Ammo. We ended up fighting close from your base. We got several kills without a loss. The area was clear except a co-alt Niki (about 5k).

We got this guy too and I called for the RTB. On chanel 1 I read something like "hunting P47s <G>". I looked around and saw a cloud of niki's diving on us (If I recall good, 4 niki's and 3 spitfires).

My god, I knew we were all toasted. I was the only one lucky enought to escape, still followed by those uggly turnfighters  . No sweat, when my P47-D30 reached his max level speed, those co-alt pursuiers will be left in the dust.

After a 2 quad run, only 2 dots left on my 6, I knew one was friendly (the P51). The over one was a bad guy, if he was still in icon range it could be a P51/typhoon/LA7/D9, in 1 word something I can have a chance to survive turnfighting.

Better turn back and fight rather than going for ack hanging 15 NM ahead, 1 vs 1 and even 1 Vs 2 if the pony is kind enought.

The fight went like this. On merge you zoomed up (u had way more E as I did a 180 to fight you).

I recall thinking:"clever move".

For the rest I was on the defensive, your gunery was very accurate.

I tried to pull out a couple of tricks to reverse the situation but you didn't fell for them. I then tought that is was one of those TAS aces and that I was in deep doodoo.

I was happy to see the friendly P51 help me, I was surprise that you kept going for me "disregarding the pony".

He definatly saved my butt as it was only a question of time for you to shoot me down. You teared me appart: 2 guns, 1 rudder, 1 aileron, 1 landing gear

<salute Midnight>, it was a fun fight, you guys are great.

As a side note, it's not that rare to see some guys "going for me" against all comon sense. Is there something glamorous about shooting me down or somebody put a bounty on my silly French accent? I find that funny.    
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
Pilot identyfication
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2001, 12:50:00 AM »
LOL.. No Bounty...

I find it more fulfilling to know I am shooting at an experienced pilot, rather than getting to shoot down someone I never heard of. It is better still with dedicated plane type fliers like ourselves <S>

------------------
Midnight
13th TAS[/i]
       midnight@13thtas.com      

"You tell them I'm coming.. And Hell's coming with me!" -Kurt Russel Tombstone

Hans

Pilot identyfication
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2001, 02:14:00 AM »

is there anyway you can identify your opponent?  When you see the icon it shows what type it is, not the name of the pilot.  How do you change the settings of the icon?

You can't see your opponents name.  This is on purpose.  A long time ago in another online sim, during beta testing you could see the enemies name if you wanted to.  Problem developed when certain players would hunt down and repeatedly kill certain other pilots for various reasons.  Aces were being unfairly piggy piled on (everyone wanted the kill of XXX for the prestige, but XXX soon had no chance in hell of playing a normal game), some were hunting down others who had been jerks to them, or they themselves were jerks and picked on newbies (easy kills for their pathetic egos).

It had alot of drawbacks that far overshadowed the small benefit of seeing the name of your enemy.  You still get to see who you shot down, which is enough.

Hans.