Author Topic: Did any of you B-17/P-51D guys film the last scen ?  (Read 516 times)

Offline Chain

• Zinc Member
Did any of you B-17/P-51D guys film the last scen ?
« on: February 28, 2000, 07:48:00 AM »
I was flying for the LW and I'd like to see how our attack looked from the other side  
Post your films here if you happen to have anything. Thanks !

------------------
Chain
Aki Holopainen
aki.holopainen@quicknet.inet.fi
-=HLeLv FennoManiacs=-

Offline Gator

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dragon-isle.net/kwilhite/keith.html
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2000, 09:58:00 PM »
  For those without P-51 film, I posted my zipped film (it's still 850K) at http://dragon-isle.net/kwilhite/flight_sims/SE_Large.zip

I did not tape the entire flight starting at launch, so it's not as bad as it could be.  

The action starts at about the time we cross over from 11,10 to 11,11.  As you'll see, RedStar had us turning all over the place to stay with the bombers, and not outrun them.  

During the mission, a group of us in P-51's on RW together drifted back to fly behind the main group and the bombers. It was agreed that I would trail my wingman (I was winging for Tern) by 2K to follow and protect his six. As we dropped back I fell a little behind, but as I was looking directly at him he exploded in a ball of fire!  We were confused and talking on RW, and he also typed on the open channel "what happened?" since there wasn't an enemy near him. The interesting thing is that when you watch the film, he doesn't explode, and his icon stays on film, even after you see his comments appear in the text buffer, and see me turning my plane to try and spot the enemy fighters shooting at us (boy, was I confused!).

Since it doesn't show my wingman exploding, and his icon stays on the film, possibly there are packets that tell the FE to do an explosion and not display the plane/icon that is still being smoothed/propagated by the FE, but are not properly handled by the film recorder?  You will see Tern's comments appear in the text buffer, which were shortly after he exploded. You will also see other planes smoking and going down, some without obvious enemy icons attacking them ...

Please, no harsh comments on my poor performance.    I was a very confused rookie P-51 pilot, learning rudder pedals (DoA doesn't handle the USB pedals, so I have not used them much). Anyway, after the initial confusion, and hearing that the bombers were in trouble, I abandoned trying to go after bandits and was shot down heading back to the B-17s ...

Offline Chain

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2000, 04:48:00 AM »
Thanks ! Now if one of you b17 guys could post your film ? I'd appreciate it  

------------------
Chain
Aki Holopainen
    aki.holopainen@quicknet.inet.fi    

HLeLv FennoManiacs

Offline Tern

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2000, 11:27:00 AM »

Originally posted by Chain:
Thanks ! Now if one of you b17 guys could post your film ? I'd appreciate it  

I got film of take off and forming up for fighters if yer interested.
Dang shame the enemy icons were invisible.  Never saw the dot that killed me and I'm pretty sure Gator, (who was D3-4 behind me) never saw it either.  

------------------
Tern
"Live to Fly!  Fly to Fight!  Fight to Live!"

Offline Gator

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dragon-isle.net/kwilhite/keith.html
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2000, 07:31:00 PM »
Tern, nope, never did see the one that got you.  I was looking right at you, and then all of a sudden you went up in a ball of flame!  While the explosion doesn't show up on the film, there are no enemy icons in view when you died (even a short while later when your comment comes across the text buffer).

The one who got me only seems to appear when he's right behind me, shooting me down ...

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2000, 12:22:00 AM »
It was just my Klingon bird decloaking  

Now seriously, that issue needs to be addressed.