Author Topic: Basic Airfield Ops  (Read 384 times)

Offline apcampbell

• Copper Member
      • http://
Basic Airfield Ops
« on: May 27, 2008, 09:35:13 AM »
Does anyone have any training written up on take offs, landings, and taxiing? Looking for something a bit more in depth compared to what's available in the AH help section. Taxiing is a problem for me especially, along with getting turned around and OFF the re-arm pad
"Navy061"
http://www.slybirds.com
Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. -Douglas Adams

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
Re: Basic Airfield Ops
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 09:46:19 AM »
I occaisionally use the F3 view mode while getting on and off of the re-arm pad. 

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 09:51:39 AM »
Does anyone have any training written up on take offs, landings, and taxiing? Looking for something a bit more in depth compared to what's available in the AH help section. Taxiing is a problem for me especially, along with getting turned around and OFF the re-arm pad

Do you have rudder pedals? Your going to need them for taxi'ing. If you have rudder pedals then you can use rudder/brake for tight turns to get on/off the re'arm pad.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 09:52:04 AM »
Use F3 and F8. That combo works wonders.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline apcampbell

• Copper Member
      • http://
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 09:54:10 AM »
Yes, I can't imagine flying without peddals. Refresh my memory, what does F8 do again?
"Navy061"
http://www.slybirds.com
Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. -Douglas Adams

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 10:18:14 AM »
Do you have rudder pedals? Your going to need them for taxi'ing. If you have rudder pedals then you can use rudder/brake for tight turns to get on/off the re'arm pad.

A twisty stick works just fine.

One thing to note:  you need to throttle up to get enough air moving over the rudder surface to get the plane turning, then, once moving you can gradually back off the throttle. 

You can brake-steer using the c and v keys but it doesn't work as well as rudder.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 10:38:53 AM »
Holding the stick back will lock your tailwheel and reduce wild swings while using rudder to steer. You should release the back pressure on the stick only when taxiing at a walking pace or slower. Gentle S turns back and forth help you see where you're going from the cockpit view. Differential braking using the left and right wheel brakes (C and V keys) will help you turn more tightly.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 11:21:39 AM »
Best thing is practice, practice, then practice some more.

Like Rolex said hold some back pressure on the stick to keep from swinging back and forth. Also like Rolex said use s turns, (just like the real warbirds) to see where you are going.

What I do is release back pressure give a little rudder input then re-apply back pressure that way the nose swings around easily then locks the tailwheel when I'm pointed in the direction I want to be.

When I enter the re-arm pad I try to spin the tail around using either right or left brake so that my nose is pointed back towards the taxi way. I have found it is much easier to do when you are already moving, as opposed to doing it from a standing start. 

444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 11:43:29 AM »
Yes, I can't imagine flying without peddals. Refresh my memory, what does F8 do again?
F8 lets you look all around with your plane centered in the screen.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 11:51:21 AM »

VIEW MODE PAN     [F8]
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54