Author Topic: Strategic and Tactical Bombing  (Read 542 times)

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Strategic and Tactical Bombing
« on: June 06, 2008, 05:04:27 AM »
If my squad bombed the AMMO factory in a Zone and at the same time were destroying ord bunkers in the zone how long might the bunkers stay down. If we dropped the city to 0% at the same time what difference would this make?

If A factory is for example 50% down what effect does this have?

Please :D
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
Re: Strategic and Tactical Bombing
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 05:52:28 AM »
Skuzzy told me the down time increases at the airfield in conjunction to the factory's destruction.

I've not timed it.

Eons ago, the skinny was the zone's city had to be destroyed in conjunction with the factory.

City = workers
Factory = product
Airfield = need for product

That sort of thing.

Get a stopwatch out and give it a go :)

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 06:14:57 AM »
HQ supplies zone cities, which supply zone factories, which supply zone bases. The theoretical downtime if a city and factory are destroyed is 3 hours, but each convoy from HQ to city reduces downtime by 30 mins. Each convoy from city to factories and from factories to fields reduces factory and field downtime by 15 mins.

Player resupply to factories and fields with field supplies reduces downtime by 15 mins, also.

I believe it's almost impossible to know exactly how long something will stay down because of all the convoys in transit.

The help file and trainer's section on level bombing gives further (read: better) explanation than mine.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 08:19:56 AM »
From said help file:
"Trains, convoys, and barges are built into the terrain.  Each train, convoy, or barge has a source point and a destination point, and each can be damaged or destroyed while traveling from point to point.  When a train, convoy, or barge is destroyed, they will automatically respawn every ten minutes.

Each time a train, convoy or barge spawns, it first checks to see if there has been damage to the supplier (cities supply factories and factories supply fields).  The amount of supplies carried to the destination depends on the amount of damage to the supplier.  If the supplier has been damaged by 50%, only one out of every six train cars or convoy trucks will carry supplies.

The destination point is where the train, convoy, or barge attempts to resupply.  The destination can be either a single field, or a number of objects within a defined radius.  If a destination field is captured while a train, convoy, or barge is enroute, the train, convoy, or barge continues to the destination, and resupplies from the factories of the capturing country. 

Once a train, convoy, or barge has successfully reached it's destination, a new supply convoy spawns."
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 08:25:52 AM »
My squad ran a B-25H strike to help knock down a town a couple months ago. We ended up switching to put our guns on the convoys once the town was down to keep them from resupplying the field while waiting on the Goon. That was actually rather fun flying a historical-type interdiction strike.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 09:35:52 AM »
HQ supplies zone cities, which supply zone factories, which supply zone bases. The theoretical downtime if a city and factory are destroyed is 3 hours, but each convoy from HQ to city reduces downtime by 30 mins. Each convoy from city to factories and from factories to fields reduces factory and field downtime by 15 mins.

Player resupply to factories and fields with field supplies reduces downtime by 15 mins, also.

I believe it's almost impossible to know exactly how long something will stay down because of all the convoys in transit.

The help file and trainer's section on level bombing gives further (read: better) explanation than mine.

I like the whole idea of winning and losing versus time spent for fun.  The above is what the game was all about.  Until it was not.

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 06:02:31 AM »
Rolex,  I know that HQ damage (the large bunker only reduces radar factors) What reduces the convoys (trains?)coming from HQ to cities. Does destroying the town buildings at HQ serve any purpose?

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 06:15:47 AM »
My squad ran a B-25H strike to help knock down a town a couple months ago. We ended up switching to put our guns on the convoys once the town was down to keep them from resupplying the field while waiting on the Goon. That was actually rather fun flying a historical-type interdiction strike.
I always look around for convoys to kill. no perks, no kills, no points(?) but adds realism for me (the RAF did alot of convoy work in Europe.) plus you get lots of boom!s for just a little ammo :D

while we're at it, is it just the HQ flak tower that needs to be destroyed to drop dar, or does the whole HQ city have to be flat?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 06:18:45 AM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 10:13:37 PM »
<snip>
while we're at it, is it just the HQ flak tower that needs to be destroyed to drop dar, or does the whole HQ city have to be flat?

Just the large grey building.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 10:48:00 PM »
so the hq town buildings serve no purpose. they do not have anything to do with resupply?

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 07:22:48 AM »
Can anyone tell me what kind of opperation/mission set up would would deprive the other side of:

1) Ords

2)Radar for the maximum time
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 07:43:40 AM »
Yar, here ya go:

1) Destroy the City that resides in the Zone of the base(s) you wish to render impotent.
2) Destroy the Factory that makes Ammo.
3) Destroy the Ammo at airfields serviced by aforesaid Factory and City.

It ain't easy, especially the City.  Easy to destroy some of it, all of it is another matter.  Same for factory, but easier to pork it all.

If you pull it off, get a watch running.  2 hours used to be the down time for field elements (ord for example) with NO manual resupply by the other side.  If it works the way the Strat helpfile says, you should wind up with 5 hours of porkage.

Once, I was told City and Fac had to be down to 0%.  Another time, I was told proportional porkage does yield proportional results in total down time.  By then, I'd not bothered to time the results.   Honestly, have never seen the kind of supply devastation the helpfile says is possible. 

I have seen an analogue though.  Back when we had BIG maps with multiple zones.  Capturing a base without owing the City and Factory.  I've seen a 4 to 6 man manual resupply not bring ord to a base, for example.  Then at time, I want to say I've seen the same situation, AND manual resupply did its job with ord being restored, for example.  This is relying on hazy memories.

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 07:47:37 AM »
To spell it out I think your saying if you dont get city down to 0% is probably waste of time? and the same with the factory?
DFC/GFC/OAP