Author Topic: JU-88 Skin - Anyone Interested?  (Read 4057 times)

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
JU-88 Skin - Anyone Interested?
« on: June 06, 2008, 09:02:09 AM »
I ran across this aircraft while cruising the net and I thought it would be a great one to have here in AH. It has some great markings and is a very historical aircraft. Anyone interested in doing it?

It is a JU-88A-4 from 9./KG30 "ADLER" - a dedicated "Anit-Shipping" Geshwader that was stationed in the Mediterranean in 1941 attacking British shipping to Malta & North Africa.

AIRCRAFT GRUPPE INSIGNIA

The multicolored insignia above is for STAB (Headquarters) KG30 - the badge on the aircraft is the same in size & shape with the black eagle except it has an all yellow background - the color of the III GRUPPE of the Geschwader.

:salute
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 09:08:57 AM by Jester »
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: JU-88 Skin - Anyone Interested?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 09:09:02 AM »
I like it  :aok

Dunno if you want to wait for me to do it though. I can add it to "the list" but I have a lot I wanna do and only enough time to do a few.

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 09:33:42 AM »
JULY 1941 Cover of the German magazine SIGNAL showing the "KILL" markings being painted on this (or another in the Geschwader) aircraft.

Krusty,
I have no specific interest in the aircraft - just thought it might be an interesting skin to have in the game because of it's looks and history. If you do it it is up to you but tks for the offer.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 09:35:15 AM by Jester »
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 10:08:40 AM »
Very Sexy!!

Jester, for a minute there, I thought you were going to be shopping for some leather underwear, also.    :lol

I'd like to give it a shot, but summertime is busy for me.  If anyone else wants to claim it, go for it.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 10:22:20 AM »
Jester, for a minute there, I thought you were going to be shopping for some leather underwear, also.    :lol

LOL! I still have my old pair from my past "Luftwabble" days.   :aok

Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 05:57:07 PM »
Jester, Ill start her this afternoon, but I'm sure Krusty or someone else can do a bit better. Do you have an example of the upper-surface cammo? If not, I can search around.

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 06:29:25 PM »
Jester, Ill start her this afternoon, but I'm sure Krusty or someone else can do a bit better. Do you have an example of the upper-surface cammo? If not, I can search around.

I imagine it is standard "splinter" pattern for the JU-88 - appears that by the camo on the sides.

Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 07:53:27 PM »
I imagine it is standard "splinter" pattern for the JU-88 - appears that by the camo on the sides.

Okay, ive got references for that.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 05:07:34 AM »
nice scheme :aok  I pretty much only fly 88s with torps so an anti-shipping squad skin would be perfect, the kill markings are cool too :)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 05:12:25 AM »
Heres the issue I just hit. This is the 'standard' splinter cammo I find for Ju-88s. Ive got 3 sources that all depict this. Unfortunately, it doesnt match yours. So, do you know where I can find a top view of your bird in particular?

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 05:13:25 AM »
Heres the issue I just hit. This is the 'standard' splinter cammo I find for Ju-88s. Ive got 3 sources that all depict this. Unfortunately, it doesnt match yours. So, do you know where I can find a top view of your bird in particular? Also, the spinner is going to be cammo-colored. The patch of color the spinner takes it's color from is LARGE, and in the middle of the wing. Making that yellow would stand out WAY too much. Is it worth continuing really?

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 07:49:34 AM »
Its been a while since I did a Ju 88 skin, but I vaguely recall looking at this scheme. IIRC I didn't do it because there was an issue with part of the yellow area on the cowling being mirrored to the bottom of the wing.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 02:40:00 PM »
Dangit, what a shame. They really need to get all the major bombers re-modeled!!!

We could really use a slightly earlier (slower, shorter wingspan) Ju88 for BoB scenarios.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 05:20:48 PM »
So, should I halt work? Is the green spinner vs yellow too big of a deal? (I kinda think it is, though I would like to see this bird in the air...) I was hoping it was just one mirrored pixel, and maybe I could slip a yellow dot on the wing, but I spent all night trying and it just won't work. The area mirrored is just too big, and its on the TOP (green part) of the wing.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 06:36:26 PM »
It's not the spinner only. Take a look at www.ah-skins.com under bomber templates. Look at the Ju88 template. It's not really a plane designed to accept custom skins (that functionality was added later)