Author Topic: Any Possibility of running a Normandy Scenario....  (Read 4107 times)

Offline K-KEN

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
Any Possibility of running a Normandy Scenario....
« on: June 07, 2008, 04:17:31 PM »
... with LVTs and all, it might be doable. Of course, might be hard to get folks interested in assaulting the beaches in LVTs with troops and supplies  :) Maybe design a 4 frame event where Frame 1 and possibly 2 are devoted strictly to landing craft and Carrier based planes, battleshps and destroyers. C47s launched from England too. Frame 3 could be a GV based invasion and taking over the skies, with Frame 4 being the beginning of bombing raids and fighter sweeps!  :)  Just thinking out loud. It would give everyone opportunity to mix it up in buffs, LVTs, GVs and fighters all in one event.

Frame 1: The Landing: C47s, LVT2 and LVT4s. A series of maprooms on the beach requiring 100 troops or some odd number in order to make the objective. A row of shore batteries set up for defense and manable guns along with panzers, Jeeps, M16s etc.. Ships may not be shot, but LVTs are game!  :)

Frame 2: Establishing a Beachhead: All Maprooms captured, so to speak, all shore batteries dead, and a set amount of Vehicle and Base supplies landed on the beaches. Axis GVs would be disabled by some set of standards from Frame 1.

Frame 3: The Ground Invasion and gaining Air Supremacy......Basically, a GV invasion and Fighters on both sides.

Frame 4: Bombing Campaign and Fighter Sweeps. 

Just a thought...
 :salute

Offline SuBWaYCH

• Silver Member
Re: Any Possibility of running a Normandy Scenario....
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 11:11:02 PM »
The parachute drop before the invasion would be VERY interesting, although those troops would be sitting ducks.
Axis C.O. for Battle of the Dnieper, Winter '43

Air superiority is a condition for all operations, at sea, on land, and in the air. - Air Marshal Arthur Tedder

364th Chawks

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 11:22:20 PM »
Of course, might be hard to get folks interested in assaulting the beaches in LVTs with troops and supplies
This was an integral part of Coral Sea a few years back, and was quite fun.

As always though, terrain dependent, as the maps come forward, great ideas like these are naturals to implement.

Working out the details, it would be hard to get the numbers to commit to a couple of frames with minimal air to air involvement. Gonna have to think on that one a bit. Might be more of an extended 3 hour Sunday event, instead of a multi framed one.

Worth consideration though, thanks Ken.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 11:54:56 PM »
I think the biggest problem involves the fact that our troops don't fight...they run in a conga line with their empty 45's pointed at a maproom.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline SuBWaYCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 09:08:51 AM »
I think the biggest problem involves the fact that our troops don't fight...they run in a conga line with their empty 45's pointed at a maproom.

Yeah. thats the only problem. Maybe if jeeps got spawned in from the mainland to make it a bit more interesting?
Axis C.O. for Battle of the Dnieper, Winter '43

Air superiority is a condition for all operations, at sea, on land, and in the air. - Air Marshal Arthur Tedder

364th Chawks

Offline K-KEN

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 12:52:42 PM »
Well, it's only a strategy. I think if we had 100 folks per side, 50+ LVTs, some with howitzers to take out manned guns, some with vehicle supplies to fix damaged LVTs, some with base supplies, maybe 10 with troops, the Cruisers shelling Shore Batteries...may make an effective opportunity for landing. Remember, C47s too. If they land/drop inland, like the real invasion, a base could be secured/captured and then Jeeps or M16's may be available to spawn to the beach...??? As you know, we have no other way to fight, but this is more strategy-like any Scenario. Afterall, we've used PTs to pick up downed pilots!  :) <virtually> Also, some limited fighters launching from England and/or the CVs for strafing SB's and ack. 4 CVs, would have 12 8" guns and many 5" for shelling the beach fortifications too. There are 12 or so folks devoted to that too. Still, might be interesting ... :)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 01:26:02 PM by K-KEN »

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 03:33:06 PM »
But you have the remember, the Luftwaffe didn't show up........:)

<Runs away>
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 07:14:07 PM »
this is just my (roocents) ...

Id think it would be really emersive to run d-day in a 6 or 8 hour one day event .
The 1st 2 hours (block) starts during the nite . the allies must drop troops in several undiscosed parts of France, the Axis must try to locate the drops and capture/kill ...
Sunrise (block 2) the allies must soften up and land on the beaches .. but be forwarned the Axis has the ability to send up the forces and use airpower to  stall the attempts .
planes enable every 2 hours ., resupply happens when you hold a fld/obj for so long or unless the supply line gets cut (AE; bridge taken out Caer ) ...
Block 3 the battles for land continues . can the allies hold what they have taken or will the Axis falter with there reinforcements . (The Allies must resupply there holdings )

fld sb ship guns will be manable at all times . its the planes and vehicles that get limited to one of each per Block .two lifes basically every 2 hours .

Kinda get were I've been wanting to go with D-day.... the main thing is our BOB map needs some specialized add ons to really make this Rock .

We ran BOB in FA for 12 hrs in 2 hour blocks and it was a Blast .

Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 12:49:53 AM »
No thanks. First of all, MOH:AA is far more suited to reliving D-Day than Aces High is.

Second, AH has NONE of the equipment that was used in the invasion. The ground equipment, barges, transports, the people (remember it's 90% people in this situation) and they're doing all the work.

There's nothing for AH players to do.

This is, and will always be, primarily a flight sim. This is not, and I hope never will be, a WW2OL or similar game.

Think about it this way: No LW showed up (2 planes strafed a beach, went home, maybe). The allies waltzed in with their airpower, c-47s, p47s, spits, etc. They were more afraid of being shot down by friends than by foe.

There would be nothing to do for AH pilots doing this as a scenario.

If you start coming up with gimicky ways to GIVE Ah pilots something to do -- because the game can't do what really happened -- you start coming up with all sorts of complex rules, ideas, jurry-rigging things so that it symbolizes something else entirely.

Nah. Count me out. If you had to stand up and defend it, you would have very little to go on, as compared to other scenarios AH has already run.

Offline K-KEN

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 05:14:39 AM »
No thanks. First of all, MOH:AA is far more suited to reliving D-Day than Aces High is.

There would be nothing to do for AH pilots doing this as a scenario.

Nah. Count me out. If you had to stand up and defend it, you would have very little to go on, as compared to other scenarios AH has already run.

Ahhh .....  one problem solved already!   :rolleyes:   :O

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 09:41:53 AM »
How about dieppe krusty
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Squire

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 08:01:57 PM »
The air fighting in the Normandy campaign (June-August 44) was not just about what happened on June the 6th, the day of the initial landings. 

I see so many posts dismissing this campaign, it was not what was portrayed in the movie "The Longest Day" - based on the rather sub standard book by Cornelius Ryan.

I did a FSO on Normandy 44 called "Normandy Breakout" and it was pretty intense. I plan on re running it at some point, but I dont speak for the "Scenario" CM team.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 08:10:00 PM by Squire »
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 12:30:17 AM »
The Normandy invasion was socked in with bad weather for weeks. There wasn't much before or after it, and during it it's 99.99999% unarmed cargo planes, and the other 1% is mostly bombers. No axis force to speak of.

You tell me HOW you can run a scenario even remotely like that, without totally throwing the idea out and making a 100% hypothetical fantasy situation, where the LW just magically happened to have 200 planes in the air to fight off the 200 allies (guessing 400 players registration, adjust numbers to fit)

Offline Squire

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 04:57:38 AM »
There are some good books on the 2nd Tactical Air Force, and the 9th Tactical Air Force, and the Western based JGs and SGs. As to your comments, well, I will just say they dont jibe from what I have read on it.

Oh, and "Okinawa" and "Der Grosse Schlag" seemed to go just fine, neither were anywhere close to the actual side # OOBs in those scenarios. In fact, few Scenarios ever do, all for obvious logistic and playability issues. As to the design setup, that would be up to the CMs to figure out.

Here, for further reading:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/angels_eight/book.html

http://www.motorbooks.com/Store/UserDirs/motorbooks.com/coverimages/140795.jpg

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/title_detail.php/title=P9069~ser=ACE~per=2

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/title_detail.php/title=P6981~ser=ACE~per=2

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/title_detail.php/title=P5950~ser=ACE~per=2

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/title_detail.php/title=P9050~ser=ACE~per=2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Invasions-Without-Tears-Top-scoring-Spitfire/dp/0394224272

Thats a start, they have some good info.

Regards.

Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 09:50:53 PM »
To run Normandy it wouldn't have the Axis Sleeping like they did in real life . There would be the element of the axis defending .

A Normandy scenario would have alot more resources available.
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation