Author Topic: Circus bike & a question about old Bicycle tires.  (Read 199 times)

Offline Papabear

• Zinc Member
Circus bike & a question about old Bicycle tires.
« on: June 26, 2008, 12:18:04 PM »
Hello, The main question is, Can I put 2 inch wide tires on old Schwinn S7 rims that currently have 1 & inch wide tires on them?

By now you can already see I dont really know what Im doing. So here is the story

At a garage sale last week I spotted an old bike in lying off by itself. It had obviously been in a barn for quite some time as it was literally covered in chicken poop & feathers. I was looking at it and the lady having the sale said, Thats a circus bike. My dad was a clown. I spun the wheels and found that they are both mounted about 2 & inches off center, so it "bucks" when you are riding it... NEAT!

The bike is actually a B.F. Goodrich Challenger with old Schwinn S7 rims.

The seat and handgrips were gone, the rubber tires were shot, but the rims spun true and she was only asking ten bucks. I practically threw the money at her.

I bought some Kenda 24 X 1 tires and tubes, applied some elbow grease, cleaned and repacked everything, added a seat and grips and the bike is just a hoot to ride.

But it sits too tall for my daughter, so I am thinking about putting the wheels and crank on this retro Schwinn cruiser that I picked up. But I think the skinny wheels would look out of place on the balloon tire frame. So to make a long story short, Will 2 & inch wide wheels fit on the old rims?

I think this would be a real hoot for the young lady. I plan to keep all the parts from both bike so I can put them back together when she outgrows it.  Any other ideas to make it better?
Papabear, CO of “Ewes guys” A non-profit, non-sexist, lighthearted group of well wishers diligently dedicated to the preservation of the reputation of the lovely sheep of Aces High.  We are, "The guardians of the flock".

[img]http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/7633/sheep1xg5.jpg[/i

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Re: Circus bike & a question about old Bicycle tires.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 01:01:58 PM »
Hello, The main question is, Can I put 2 inch wide tires on old Schwinn S7 rims that currently have 1 & inch wide tires on them?

that depends on the rims and tire/frame clearance, i would take it to a bike shop and ask their opinion.

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 10:20:25 AM »
Any other ideas to make it better?

Yeah - you need a horn.. one of those squeeze ones - all the clown bikes have em

:)

Actually cool looking bikes

NwBie
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 04:23:44 PM »
My dad was a clown.

.................And it seems to be running in the family.

:devil
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 04:53:15 PM »
that would depend on 2 factors. a)The clearance you have between the longest throw on the wheels to the top of the fork and the rear of the frame and b) the width of the rim. you are asking the rim to hold a tyre that is almost twice the width of the original, the beads may not seat properly. A bike shop could probably relace the wheels with a wider rim for you fairly cheaply.
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder